McLaren M8B the best race car

That was a great read thanks for that (as I really don't know to much about that car). PLEASE keep posting stuff like this so that people like me can help grow our passions.

I was at the Road America event when the car debuted and like the M6 and M8A, the cars always won. McLaren has always been a top team.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

I was lucky enough to go to Laguna Seca for all the Can Am races, The McLaren's were always my favorites and the M8B was the best. They were way faster than the rest, well tested and beautiful!

You got the feeling that Bruce, Denny & Chris (Amon, drove the back-up when the Ferrari failed in practice) were just playing with the others.

I shot this photo when Bruce came into the paddock following practice at Mid Ohio during the Bruce and Denny Show weekend.

1_15087bruce_mclaren___m8b_midohio.jpg

Still remember sitting in the speed trap at Road America when the cars came thundering by at 160 mph. With 30+ cars on the grid and all of those big old Chevy V8s singing at full throttle, wow !!!

Look for the spectator / photographer between the trees , next to the track in the cork screw . pic # 7. Will that be allowed today ?

Z.C.

Now you can see why I was infected with the urge to build one myself. I can honestly say that it was a special moment the first time sitting on the grid and still is. Its great to see the smiles on peoples face when they to hook back into memories of that era.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• Puke Easter meeting 020.jpg
    Puke Easter meeting 020.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 441
  • photo shoot 001.jpg
    photo shoot 001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 405
  • rear shots 002.jpg
    rear shots 002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 490
  • rear shots 003.jpg
    rear shots 003.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 874
Russel, you're a lucky guy to have two yellow ones - one a McLaren and the other a McCopy - amazing!

She looks beautiful, and no doubt tears up the road and track.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Look for the spectator / photographer between the trees , next to the track in the cork screw . pic # 7. Will that be allowed today ?

Z.C.

Actually according to my recollection of Laguna Seca at the time it wasn't allowed then either. Either he had a special pass or nobody noticed him yet. Everyone else is up the hill behind the fence.

Just awesome. I wish the ban on 'moving aerodynamic devices' was never that draconian... it would have been pretty amazing to see where that would have led. High wings mounted to the uprights? Pretty cool stuff in my book.

Back