Adjusting Headlights

Using my garage wall as the aiming surface, where should my headlights point? How should they be aimed?

My first excursion in the GT40 had me traveling a nice little two lane after sundown. It might be because the car sits so low but the lights didn't seem to illuminate the road as much as I thought they would. I've never looked so hard for deer next to the road as on that trip but it really wasn't because of the headlights. It was my first excursion in the GT40.

What a blast.

You need a headlight upgrade... The ones that come with the car are dismal. Someone had a nice write-up here on the SPF forum a few months ago.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
You can change the bulbs out for brighter units. They come in ratings of say 80/120, 100,160 etc. (Watts low beam/high beam. After you install the bulbs adjust your lens/reflector and drive away!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
What about HID units?
Or are there laws about using them in USA?

Very bright and draw about 1/2 the standard current

Ian

I don't plan on doing much driving at night in the car so upgrading the lights is not a priority. However, to ensure they're aligned properly, what are the values and instructions for adjusting them?

To put it in the form a math word problem for you mathematicians out there and to give the rest of us a headache, can anyone fill in the x, y, and z values in this instruction:

"On your aiming surface, measure x feet up from the bottom and place a mark; measure horizontally from that point a distance of y feet and place a second mark; position the car so its headlights are z feet back from the aiming surface and in line with the two marks; adjust the headlights on low beam so they align with the marks."

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What about HID units?
Or are there laws about using them in USA?
There are laws about everything in the USA. :lipsrsealed:

I just searched the California Vehicle Code (each state has its own) and there is no specific mention of HID or aftermarket bulbs. There is a requirement that you not blind people, of course.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Careful with anything at or over 100. According to my manual the headlight fuses are 7.5A which translates roughly to 90W.

You can resolve this issue by using a relay and feeding power directly to the lights using the headlamp switch and the existing circuit/fuse to control the relay. Very commonly done when upgrading production car headlamps to units that the lighting control module or fuses don't like.....

And remove the headlamp covers and go out to a level, straight road on a really dark night to set the lights to a useful aim rather than a chart taped to the garage door.

Okay, I know it's not rocket science. I've adjusted headlights before and I read the info from the link Alan provided. I put marks on the wall, took the covers off the headlights, flipped them on, turned the hell out of the adjusting screws on both headlights, and they remained unmoved.

My next step was to remove the clip and the wheel well panels to get at the headlight mounts themselves but two things, in conjunction, happened to prevent me:

1. The college age girl from next door came over with her roommate, both cuties, enticing me to take them for rides, and;

2. In light of that, it was much more practical for me to ask advice here than do any more work on the car.

Suggestions? (And you don't have to offer any regarding the babes from next door.)

And what an idiot I am. I knew I should have bought a GT40 when I was 18. Now it's, like, "Who's your granddaddy?"

Back