GT40 on Speedhunters

Hi Guys i thought this may be of some interest, a genuine GT40 from the Canepa Collection.

CAR SPOTLIGHT>>'66 FORD GT40 - THE REAL DEAL - Speedhunters

gt10.jpg

I wasn't aware that original GT40s came with 302s. I was under the mistaken assumption that they were either 289s or big blocks.

Good to see this automotive author knows what he's talking about and can set the rest of us straight about the facts......

I wasn't aware that original GT40s came with 302s. I was under the mistaken assumption that they were either 289s or big blocks.QUOTE]

Seems like you are correct, as copied from the Canepa site:

Sent with std. race engine and transmission to be changed later.” The engine was noted as “289 Cobra,” number SGT/4.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have seen this car several times, as Canepa is just down the road in Scotts Valley.

There was an extensive discussion about this car here fairly recently. Even Ronnie Spain chimed in.

If my memory serves me correctly, P1033 is an original "street" car and was owned by Filipenetti, but not as a racer.

I'm sure if you run a search, you can find the thread.

This car is #1033 and belongs to Tom Armstrong of Kirkland, Washington (may have migrated to socal) He bought it back in about 1989 and campaigned it in vintage events where it wore #23 most of it's life through out the 90's. Tom has been selling off his collection the last few years. He had a showroom/warehouse in Issaquah, Washington for quite a while where many of his fabulous cars were displayed and stored. He sold his Corvette Grandsport coupe #2 a couple of years ago. It was the car that Accurate Miniatures model company used to get precise measurements off of to produce there model line of 1/24 scale kits of the original Corvette Grandsports'. His cars are were 100 point cars as I remember.

Back