Bought another 1960's Ford

Hi all

Just wanted to share a picture of a car I just bought at a house clearance auction down the road from me. It's a 1963 Ford Anglia in a lovely shade of rusty white with green roof. It's had 1 owner from new and has a pile of paperwork that will take me a good week to get through.

I bought it because I thought it looked like an interesting car and it's a nice straight 60's car with bags of character. I am sure it's going to ruin me trying to get it back up to a good standard but it is MOT'd and runs and drives. The other bonus is that is tax exempt and has a good period registration number plate. Not sure if I could transfer this to the GT40 when it's finished?

anglia.jpg

Trev

Hi Trev,
The 105e was my first car. Built it into a bit of a racer but it was a fight against the brown stuff even then!
Your new toy seems to be in good (lack of rust) condition! The worst places were behind the headlamps & rear of the front wings.
Good luck, I loved my little racer, while it lasted!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Trev,
The 105e was my first car. Built it into a bit of a racer but it was a fight against the brown stuff even then!
Your new toy seems to be in good (lack of rust) condition! The worst places were behind the headlamps & rear of the front wings.
Good luck, I loved my little racer, while it lasted!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

My Anglia has seen better days too, there is plenty of rusty areas to look at particularly around the front headlights. I paid £1100 for it and I thought that seemed like an ok amount of money to have a punt on something and see how we get on.

Any tips on areas of the car to look at before I start driving it. We are going to do an oil change on Saturday, check all the fluids and tyres but are there any areas I should look at closely?

Trev

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Go on - admit it Trevor. You bought it simply so that you can transfer the handbrake lever in the 40 for that authentic look...

Thought I'd give you guys a quick update on the Anglia project. When I got the car I spent 2 weeks stripping the car down and getting it ready to have some bodywork done on it. It's since been with the bodyshop and is due back to me on the second weekend in January. Here is a quick list of work that has been done and a few pictures.

How the car started
anglia11.jpg

anglia12.jpg

anglia13.jpg

Refurbished the wheels
anglia18.jpg

anglia29.jpg

Car stripped down
anglia73.jpg

Bumpers, chrome, brackets etc have been refurbished where possible
anglia79.jpg

New chrome parts bought including mirrors, boot handle, boot surround, boot spears
anglia83.jpg

Heater unit refurbished (before and after)
anglia85.jpg

anglia88.jpg

New steel headlight sections fitted
anglia84.jpg

Sills replaced and all rust and dents removed
anglia89.jpg

anglia92.jpg

Full respray in original Ermine White
anglia94.jpg

anglia95.jpg

anglia96.jpg

anglia97.jpg

anglia99.jpg

anglia100.jpg

Keith

Fantabulous! What a great find...

The reverse rear window was quite unique and the Consul Classic followed the same principal, now worth a fortune. I passed my driving test in a Ford Consul Capri in 1962, a very sexy coupe version of the Classic. All these cars had one major thing in common over any other production car at the time.. They all had synchro on first gear which made them ideal for the driving test. Crunchless!

Stick a 1600 crossflow or better still a Lotus twin cam in it and have oodles of fun, but you will have to get it lowered and stiffened up as it rolls like a drunk pig on wet grass.

Well done, and dare I say it, a major investment too....

Did I mention a 2000E gearbox? :)

That looks great Trevor. You're lucky if it didn't need any welding on the A pillar/ bulkhead area.
I'd guess she's a 1200 Super ? My dad had a pair of the Thames 5cwt van models, 997cc without syncro on 1st gear & the heater was dealer fitted on ours. We had the original blanking plate for where the hood grille is on yours hanging on our garage wall for years.
Lotus twin cam ? Keith likes spending your money doesn't he !
Cheers Steve

Cool car Trevor. Really neat and funky.

Now you need a Twiggy sitting in the passenger seat next to you as you amble down High Street.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The car is a 1963 Ford Anglia 1200 Super. I bought it as just something to just use for the end of the summer with the plan to spend a little money to do a light restoration.

As you can see the car is coming along quite nicely and should be pretty good when it's finished. The plan is to keep it completely stock as it's a very original car. It has 1 previous owner from new who bought the car in 63 and used it as his only car until he past away 49 years later.

We are going to use it as our wedding car hopefully in August next year as I doubt the GT40 will be ready in time so it will be nice to have something with that 1960's vintage look. After that I will probably look to sell the car and put the money into the GT40 project to get it finished. It's been a nice challenge to try and restore a car and one thing I've learnt is it's much easier to restore a car than build one.

Trev

Trev,

Very nice, and don't listen to Keith on this one. He is like those philistines who tell me I should take the original straight eight out of my 1935 car and put a Rover V8 in :eek: , sometimes originality is everything, especially given the car's history :)

Last edited:

Keith

Ooooh Nick, you speak with a forked tongue...It is precisely the addition of a twin cam that made these cars great. Totally in keeping with it's history.

Not a philistine, not a lover of a Rover V8, not an advocate of vehicular modifications out of historical context. You got the wrong guy buddy, so Yah Booh! To you.....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like you have a terrific project there Trevor. How hard is it to find a Lotus twin cam engine in the U.K.? they are like rocking horse crap in OZ.

Would be great to make it into a Q-car, I would install a twin cam and surprise some people...

Amazing how quick you guys do all this work an your cars. It looks nearly finished.

John

Hi Pete,
Google 'Worlds fastest Lotus Cortina".Owned by John Gilfillan and steered by Scott Fleming.
John lives just on the NSW/QLD border.
John by memory has 5 Twin Cam engines.Uses Datsun 1600 crank.
But when you are spinning them to 9000 RPM you need a few spares.
There is a great race at Eastern Creek with a Mustang on "you tube" also.
Cheers mate.

I own a twin engine boat - this car stuff is all peanuts. If you ever need any help spending money Stephen, I am the expert! :thumbsup:

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the kind offer !, my methods seem to be working pretty well on their own at the moment though.

Have a good Christmas, Steve.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Very cool. The respray of the engine bay with the engine in -- nice work.

Which transmission does this one have?

Back