Chebby lifter noise....

I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT1500 I bought almost new and it has been a wonderful car. Has 180,000 trouble free miles on it now, and nothing has broken on it other than needing new front wheel bearings at around 120,000 miles. Nothing has broken in 10 years, and 180,000 miles, how amazing is that? Who says American build quality is lacking.......bs.

I change the oil every 4,000 miles and put in new plugs every 30,000 miles or so. Lately, in the last year or so the engine has a bit of a clackety clack at start up. There's lots of oil pressure, even when the engine is hot, and it doesn't sound like bearing knock. It sounds like sticking lifters. Once the engine warms up a bit...maybe 2 minutes....the noise goes away. Does the valve gear in these engines need periodic disassembly and cleaning/inspection?

Clueless about Chebby engines......

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I suspect that you have the 5.3L engine which has no adjustment in the valves tat I am aware of.
Both the 5.3 and 6.0 L engines are known for cold piston slap which is a sound that you may be hearing. Not terrible, but the only way around it is to replace the pistons.
On the off chance that it may be oiling related, you may want to add a bottle of STP Oil Treatment at your next oil change and see if that makes any difference.

I have to say that there is no oil treatment that is proven to do anything. All of those things are sold by testimonies and not scientific proof. If you ask any oil manufacturer, they are going to tell you not to add anything to their oil.

Its hard to say whats going on without hearing it myself... Tapping sounds are most likely valve related. Clanking sounds that may produce a felt vibration could be piston slap, faulty ignition, poor start-up oil pressure and so on.

Recently, I worked on a car that had a clanking sound only on start up. Turns out it was bad plugs and wires which caused a miss-fire.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT1500 I bought almost new and it has been a wonderful car. Has 180,000 trouble free miles on it now, and nothing has broken on it other than needing new front wheel bearings at around 120,000 miles. Nothing has broken in 10 years, and 180,000 miles, how amazing is that? Who says American build quality is lacking.......bs.

I change the oil every 4,000 miles and put in new plugs every 30,000 miles or so. Lately, in the last year or so the engine has a bit of a clackety clack at start up. There's lots of oil pressure, even when the engine is hot, and it doesn't sound like bearing knock. It sounds like sticking lifters. Once the engine warms up a bit...maybe 2 minutes....the noise goes away. Does the valve gear in these engines need periodic disassembly and cleaning/inspection?

Clueless about Chebby engines......

Hi Cliff

One thing to be careful about is your oil filter.
Good quality oil filters have an oil antidrain back valve incorporated in their design.
If your filter brand does not have this it allows the oil to drain down out of the motor and on start up it takes a while for the hydraulic lifters to pump up and this can cause the noise you hear.
As lifters wear they will leak down more readily than when they were new.

Dimi

Thank you gents, that's some good and helpful information. I did just replace the plugs, but the wires haven't been changed since new (they're short as it's a coil-on-plug configuration). Hadn't thought about the anti-drain down filter feature....time to try a different filter. I did try one of the oil treatments and it seemed to improve things slightly so that was good. I also went to a lighter weight oil...5/30 instead of the usual 10/40 that I run. Hhhmmmm...will report back with any findings.

Thanks!

Hi Cliff,
I have a 2003 yukon xl, with about 120K on it, and it's been a fantastic vehicle. Occasionally on a cold start there is a brief "clatter", but goes away very quickly. I too will try a better quality filter; will give it to the oil change guys to use.

Chev filters dont use an ADV due to vertical mounting.
Going to a 5/30 oil over the recommended 10/40 would tend to increase noise levels rather than improve! Worn valve guides & rockers etc are probably contributing to the problem along with everything else thats been along for the 180k ride... nothing lasts forever!

O.K. you guys. Its piston skirt noise, normal until it warms up and expands to a round form. There are numerous TSB's circulating on this since 1999. G.M. said they were going to fix it but then changed their minds due to costs. They also have a TSB about running 5-30w oil year round in the Gen III engines 4.8, 5.3, & 6.0L V-8's since inception. The alloy piston design has a silicon infusion of some sort called hyperfenitic or something like that. Same as a two stroke bike motor. They extended the drive train warranty on those who were really pissed back then to 100k. HAPPY MOTORING!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I had a couple lifters making noise in my WRX subie powered Vanagon, I dumped a quart of that sea foam treatment in the oil and ran for a couple hours and it stopped, then changed the oil. I don't believe in snake oil but this stuff must have some cleaning agent in it.

Cliff those sensors on the front wheel bearing assembly for the anti skid are the best sensors I have ever used for crank trigger pick ups. If you still have the old parts take them off.

Back