SLC Insurance, registration etc..

I've read so much info on the SLC I'm having SLC overload sickness...
A few things i need to know that are not talked about are:

1. Does it come with a title?
2. Does it have a VIN?
3. How do you register it?
4. Is insurance crazy high?

Dave
the SLC is supplied with an MSO and a bill of sale...

We are now able to put a true VIN on our new Superlite MSO as we are a member of the WMI, this is only valid for NEW SLC and cannot be backdated..(before anyone asks)

Registration normally requires an inspection in each State.

Last edited:
The inspections are pretty simple in TX. They want to see that you have a s/n on engine and transaxle and a bill of sale for it. The nice thing is you dont pay the 6.25% taax in TX, just a $75 fee and you get a TX0000 vin #. At least thats how it worked in 2010.

I went with anpac insurance that runs $900 a year. There are other vendors like Haggerty but more $. Just steer clear of Geico/state farm, etc.

No idea what an MSO is.....?

Google is your friend (I didn't know either).

Manufacturers Statement of Origin, basically it means a dealer owned car that has never been registered to a particular state, so technically the buyer is the first owner of the car.

A Certificate of Origin is employed to certify that goods (in this case a car) being exported either from the United States into Canada or Mexico or from Canada or Mexico into the United States qualifies as originating goods for purposes of preferential tariff treatment under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Fran threw in another acronym there which might add to the confusion............WMI

Voila! http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...IN_codes)/World_Manufacturer_Identifier_(WMI)

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
MSO = Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. It's the document that all new car manufacturer's provide in order to get the original title.

I just purchased one so I can give my experience

Getting the title was no problem (Montana)
Inspection same - verified vin and that it was in fact a car
Getting insurance was only slightly harder.
The specialty claims market takes a little longer but I was able to get fully coverage in 4 days
I ended up at heacock insurance for less then $1000

Biggest problem is getting out of it when you are surrounded by 25 people :)

Here are a couple or shots now that is home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 654
No idea what an MSO is.....

That $900 a year is that full coverage?

Dave, yes, I had to get a written estimate which ran around $400. so im insured for around $78k. Not all insurers required the inspection/estimate but I felt better with one thru anpac. the only problem is, that would only include around $8k for assembly so it would be more sweat equity to get a working replacement. I could have had the coverage bumped up to $100k but would have paid a bit more / month.

Good point Cam. I defiantly don't want to overinsure the car. Or underinsure for that matter. My insurance guy told me I could get an appraiser to come out and look at it. (After it was built of course) then we could go buy that to determine how much to insure it for.

Im trying to figure out all the odd things before I decide to pull the trigger. Next big step is to figure out if I would be biting off more than I can chew with this build... Im fortunate to have a local SLC builder/owner Dave Forster live about 30min from me. I'm looking forward to seeing his up close to give my self a better perspective.

Dave F has built a few amazing planes, so he'll be a great resource. He's a craftsman. Glad to see a few SLC's in Houston. It was Dallas - 4, Houston - 0. Looks like the score is evening up!

Yup, an accurate value appraisal is important for writing an insurance policy. But even more important, is having an appraisal that your insurance company won't question if you have an accident.

Auto Appraisal Group (AAG) has been around since 1989 and has a nationwide network of certified appraisers. Insurance companies trust AAG's appraisals because they meet USPAP standards (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) and they have a database with of over 42 million vehicle sales that they use for comparison to set your car value. Heck, even NADA uses AAG input in their NADA Vehicle Value Guide!

If you need an appraisal, send me a PM and I can try to get a group price discount at AAG.

It was a absolute nightmare trying to get insurance. I have one speeding ticket and my wife had a small accident. Because the SL-C is a high horsepower light vehicle I was turned down by HAGERTY, HEAVOCK, and MCN. I almost gave up then I ran across Samantha C. Brescia at California Casualty she had me covered for 150,000 in a hour my bill is 315 a month. Hagerty acted like they didn’t even know what an SLC was saying they don’t ensure those type of vehicles. You don’t need to be a California resident to get insurance through them I live in Portland Oregon. Best of luck looking for insurance I hope I save someone else some time.

It was a absolute nightmare trying to get insurance. I have one speeding ticket and my wife had a small accident. Because the SL-C is a high horsepower light vehicle I was turned down by HAGERTY, HEAVOCK, and MCN. I almost gave up then I ran across Samantha C. Brescia at California Casualty she had me covered for 150,000 in a hour my bill is 315 a month. Hagerty acted like they didn’t even know what an SLC was saying they don’t ensure those type of vehicles. You don’t need to be a California resident to get insurance through them I live in Portland Oregon. Best of luck looking for insurance I hope I save someone else some time.

I was with Heacock for many years at about 1100 per year. On a whim with my jeep renewal I asked Geico for a quote and they added it to my current policy - 6mo premium is 390 for 300/500 comp and collision with a 2000 deductible

Back