Masking tape and plexiglas

I got my SLC in February of 2009. The Plexiglas parts (door windows, headlight covers, engine cover) are all covered in white masking tape for protection. You all know what an impossible task the removal of masking tape is even after a couple of weeks. I have been dreading this. My car is being painted and the moment of truth with the masking tape approaches. When I was having breakfast with my brother-in-law this morning, I mentioned my dreaded task. He said "I heard the WD40 allows the tape peel right off". So I went to the shop more than a little bit in disbelief. I put a headlight cover on a piece of plastic, sprayed it liberally with WD40 and did some work for 30 minutes. I sat down with rubber gloves on expecting the worst, an to my absolute surprise the tape peeled off leaving no residue. "Amazing", I do love WD40!

Last edited:
WD40 works great for lots of things. I believe it is a silicone based product and the last thing you want to do is get it on anything you will be painting. It will cause your painter to hate you.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
WD 40 is just fish oil

:thumbsdown:

From WD40's website
http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

What a Fish story!
Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
Fact:
Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

My grandfather in his latter years. Used WD-40 around the house and really thought it was a miracle product. He had a lot of pain in shoulders from years of carpentry work. So he started putting it on his shoulders, he said it helped right up to the point where everything started tasting like WD-40.

I have a friend that used to haul liquid bulk, he would take a load of kerosene every week to the plant where wd-40 was made so I know thats in there.
Al, I have a customer who does large graphics and decals for vehicles and they use a 50-50 mix of mineral spirits and soapy water to remove old stuff...probably the same type of pressure sensitive glue as the tape.

Cheers
Phil

Back