LS PCV System / Oil Catch Can

Happy Monday. Are any of you with LS engines running a PCV system with/without an oil catch can? Is a PCV system required? I have an LS engine.

Cheers,
Ryan

Keith

I'm going to fire one straight from the hip by saying that 'in my day' (in competition engines) it was always good to run some vacuum to the rockers if only to equalise any crankcase pressure brought about by blow-by at higher rpms. This would tend to minmise ring 'flutter' at higher rpms too. In a stock set-up that would be fed back into the intake manifold, but not a good idea on a competition engine.

If the rocker cover baffle is properly designed, the amount of oil finding it's way into a 'catch can' will be minimal. A PCV (valve) will prevent reversion. In extreme cases we ran reed valves to prevent rocker covers from blowing off!

In a street engine I would have thought simple 'breathers' would be sufficient.

Of course someone is going to pop up and say "we used to do that stuff about 100 years ago but not any more". If that is the case, forgive me.

Hi Ryan,
I just finish going through this, the LS engine comes with a set of instructions that tell you how to hook everything up wiring, vac, pcv. I never had this info till yesterday you will need it, everything should make sense.

Yes run the PCV lines, without them you risk blowing out the main seal on the crank among other things. Give me a call and I can walk you through the routing.

Back