Bad news with a silver lining

I've been getting the Razor (Justin's former car) ready for when winter FINALLY goes away here (widened cockpit, relocated column & shifter, making seats, wiring issues) and was preparing to jump into the SLC build with both feet when I got some bad news.

My friend Tom Cate in Indianapolis who normally comes here to St. Louis every month in 10-day chunks to help with my projects is having some troubling health issues. He hasn't been here at all since before Christmas, and now it looks like he may have to have bypass surgery. Although that procedure has a great track record of success, it mandates a LONG recovery period, and Tom probably won't be doing any work more strenuous than changing wiper blades in 2014.

I know my own limitations and I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable on the SLC project without at least one other set of eyeballs and hands working with me. I'd resigned myself to not getting the car done until a year from now at the earliest, and have been talking to my airplane mechanic and local race car teams/fabricators that I know to see if any of them could come on board. No luck so far.

Yesterday my luck changed. I met Dontavius Johnson, former auto shop instructor at East St. Louis High School just across the river. He is setting up an outreach program for at-risk youth in the area, and said the SLC project would be perfect to get the teens motivated in a positive direction. Their shop needs a drill press, air compressor, and a few more hand tools before it will be complete, but I have all those things so that's no problem.

May 1 is the start of the program, but Johnson wants the car and the build manual a few weeks in advance to develop his lesson plan and plot the course of instruction. Naturally I'll be stopping in every few days starting in May to make sure everything's going smoothly.

My SLC is on the trailer and I'll be delivering it this afternoon, along with the tools. Looks like I'll be at the track with it sometime this summer after all!

JR

Hi JR,

Fantastic, very worthwhile project, I wish you both every success, well done to you and Dontavius :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
JR,

This sounds like a great plan, good luck and please keep us informed.

I bet the students will just love these classes:)

Last edited:
You would trust your life to a bunch of yahoo teens over yourself? Yikes, whatever floats your boat I guess, i just remember the stories the came out of the autobody courses at my high school.

I would have sent it to somebody who has a good track record, like Shane (VRaptor Speedworks)

JR, good for you! I think that this a real "WIN-WIN" proposition :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted.

Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
Talk to your tax man. You might just have a nice big fat surprise (tax deduction for charitable contribution) if you do this right. I don't know for sure but it's worth the question.

I do think a auto shop class could do a good job putting one of these cars together. I would be dropping in a lot if it were mine just to make sure it was getting done the way you want it. Great gesture IMHO.

Since it's now no longer April 1st, I can tell the truth. AllanSLC has given me a September build slot for my car. So I'm looking forward to an especially good Christmas (or thereabouts) season.

JR

Since it's now no longer April 1st, I can tell the truth. AllanSLC has given me a September build slot for my car. So I'm looking forward to an especially good Christmas (or thereabouts) season.

JR

Well you're definitely in good hands then. If I were sending one of these out to be built, and was looking for a builder with huge levels of experience with thee type cars, you just couldn't go wrong with putting it in the hands of Allan or Shane. They both do spectacular work, and treat you very fairly.

Congrats! You're going to love your car when it's done.

Mike

Well you're definitely in good hands then. If I were sending one of these out to be built, and was looking for a builder with huge levels of experience with these type cars, you just couldn't go wrong with putting it in the hands of Allan or Shane. They both do spectacular work, and treat you very fairly.

Congrats! You're going to love your car when it's done.

Mike

I was looking forward to the satisfaction of doing much of the work myself, but reality set in with the fact of not having Tom there for the areas that are beyond me. I have a learning disability when it comes to wiring. I have ZERO confidence when it comes to anything electrical more complicated than replacing a wall switch.

The light dawned that I was much more interested in feeling confident my car won't spontaneously combust than I was in pride of assembly. I realized that having someone who had built five or more of these specific cars made much more sense than putting myself at the start of the learning curve.

That, and the fact that I've got virtually unlimited use of a roadrace track 200 days a year, with my own trackside two-car garage bay with electricity and air, made me want to spend less time head scratching and more time driving.

Since you are the second person who has brought up Shane at VRaptor, I have a question: His website seems to imply that he has built one SLC and EIGHT(!) GTMs. The conventional wisdom that I've been told is that the GTM requires literally thousands of hours to get the body right. In spite of this he's finished eight of them, and wants to do more? Why isn't he backed up with SLC (or other RCR) business?

JR

I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's because GTM's need so much work to complete that owners would like to have someone else do it.

And SLC owners choose to do it themselves?

Since you are the second person who has brought up Shane at VRaptor, I have a question: His website seems to imply that he has built one SLC and EIGHT(!) GTMs. The conventional wisdom that I've been told is that the GTM requires literally thousands of hours to get the body right. In spite of this he's finished eight of them, and wants to do more? Why isn't he backed up with SLC (or other RCR) business?

JR

LOL!!!... That's probably a very good question. There aren't too many people who really WANT to pursue building GTM's for others. Shane is one the few who do. He has a stellar reputation for the fit and finish of his cars.

I guess that so far, there have just been many more people approach him to build GTMs than SLCs. But I have no doubt that anyone who wanted to send their SLC to him to be built, would have a car that they would not only be proud of, but that they could enjoy with confidence.

So Shane is to the GTM crowd, what Allan is to the SLC crowd.

They are both awesome choices.

Mike

Back