CAV Opinion

Has anyone looked closely to the CAV or have one. And what was your opinion vs. ERA or RF.
Thanks

Jay

I have one sitting in my garage right now and have been very pleased so far. Bob Lacey bent over backward to get me the car fitted exactly like I wanted it. The RF is a great car also and it kinda breaks down like this in my opinion:
Same on both cars: space frame with riveted sheet panels, Cobra mustang brake calipers, A/C, original GT40 style suspension, MK1 bodies.
RF: Pro's; 3" wider footbox, 1" larger brake rotors, Smiths gauges(more original but less functional).
Con's; you have to build it, you have to paint it, substantial lead time (2-4 months), knock offs are an option, It will cost $45,500 for the kit delivered + $2000 for the knock off wheel option + about $4000 to paint it +$200 for a trans+ either $750 for leather or exhaust(one is part of the package)Total $52,450 + 400-500hours of your time.

CAV Pro's; it's already built, comes with knock off wheels, transmission, VDO gauges, exhaust, painted, just put the motor and battery in and drive. Total $56,500 +20 hours to install engine, trans.
Con's You don't build it. No others found yet.

So both turn out to be excellent cars and you wouldn't go wrong with either. So the price/time difference adds up to be $10/hr or less for your time. I think that is being conservative on the time involved to build the RF as Hersh, Bob and Ron are estimating 100+ hours to just do the paneling.
The ERA is the most authentic replica but the 2 year wait to get one put it out of the running for me.

G

Wayne,

Be sure to let us know how she handles on the track once you get her out there! Dang I envy you!

Best,

TT

Ron Earp

Admin
Wayne that CAV is beautiful and you've got to get some info out regarding a drive. Is it ready for the road yet or is there still some bits to be finished?

Ron

There seems to be more selection (at least advirtised selection)now than there was 2 years ago. I looked at Tornado and ERA at the time, both via internet. I really liked the monocoque chassis on the ERA, so went to visit them. Once I saw and set in one of their cars, my mind was made up.

My ERA is scheduled to build first of the year. As with all products, there seem to be pros and cons to each manufacturer.

Pros with the ERA are a stainless steel monocoque and attention to details to make the car as authentic as possible. Details and quality on the cars I've seen are impressive. They are based in the US which was a plus to me. They are really nice folks to deal with. They have been in the business for a long time and have made a small fleet of GT's. They will do a turnkey for you if you wish.

The biggest con is that an ERA will (depending on the options you want), cost more to complete than most others.I beleive their price is now about $55,000 plus options (AC, leather, sway bars, etc). To complete the car, you supply engine, transaxle, brake calipers and rotors, coilovers, rack and pinion for steering, halfshafts, wheels & tires, paint, plus some other misc. stuff.

Toss ups are the use of only ZF transaxles and the 2 year wait. If you want authentic, the ZF comes closest at the present time...at a price. Figure $7,000-$8,000 for a NOS unit if you can find one, plus the cost of "flipping it over" to fit in the GT. $11,000 for a new one. The cost for this gearbox is many many times more than the cost for the Audi gearboxes others are using.
The 2 year wait fit my timetable so it wasn't an issue to me. Gave me time to gather needed misc. parts, do the engine and transaxle, etc.

Bottom line is how authentic you want the details to be, how much money you're willing to invest, how long you're willing to wait, and how much of the work you can and want to do yourself.

Dave

Well I finally had time to actually drive the car around and it really rides sooooo nice. The cable shifting will take a little getting used to but overall WOW. The 342/AFR/X303 cam/stack injection engine in this car is wonderful. Pulls from 1500rpm in fifth cleanly. Can't wait to get some break in miles on it! Totally different animal than the Cobra, but very cool ride. I still need some seat time to get everything where I want it in the car.

G

Hey Wayne, where did you buy your injection stacks from?
confused.gif

G

Wayne,

Glad things are going well with the CAV. Caught the information abt the engine. How about some more detail on the exhausrt system and the induction system?

Would really like to know what is yielding that lovely tone on your startup mpg.

Thanks again!

The injection stacks come from Austrailia and I liked them enough to become the exclusive US importer. I am using the Electromotive engine management system with direct fire ignition(no distributor) with very good results. The stack manifold with the throttle bodies and fuel rails completely assembled is $2400 USD and the Electromotive system is $1950 USD with all sensors, crank trigger wheel, pick up included.

Back