Will Ford build it I HOPE SOOO!!!!!

Oh my. That is a beautiful car. It sure is better than that GT90 thing. I love this one. Don't know if I like the idea but hey I quess I will just have to get a new one to go along with my "old" one. It will be interesting to see what happens with this project.

I read a press release Friday on a forum
thread elsewhere that the program to build this car was scrapped along with the
49 retro. They stated that they still will
be presented at the detroit car show.
Ford had another better idea. Don't do
anything adventurous...it might
cost some money.
rolleyes.gif

You would think with the recent popularity of
the Viper and the Z06 that Ford would be
chopping at the bit to out do them. Instead
we get the Thunderchicken retro rehash.

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
John,

Any goodies for the masses in your parts?

How is the unpacking coming?

If Ford does build the GT40 I wonder what will happen to the value of GT40 replicas? I'd say they'll go down based on the fact there will be a "real" GT40 obtainable directly from Ford and that a lot of folks won't know what a "Real" 1960s GT40 is - nor will they care.

I still prefer the replica, I don't need 3000 lbs of car, and that is what Ford predicts. I figure if they build it, it will come out closer to #3500 with probably less than 500 hp. Interesting that the car is a spaceframe, I wonder if it will stay that way if it makes production? Still looks pretty nice and I'd like for them to do it.

Ron

Allow me to guess that the prediction that the car will never go into production is probably correct. Given that Jac Nasser was the driving force behind most of the adventurous performance projects within Ford Mo Co - including the Formula One program - and that he has now been unceremoniously dumped from his lofty possition - which future Ford executive will be brave enough to follow in his footsteps?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree with Ron that if they build the car it will not be close to the target weight, but closer to 3500, which with the power theyhave available, will make the car perform no better than a replica, maybe not as well in terms of handling. The Car&Driver article stated that Ford was thinking of a price in the 100K range, which does not seem realistic to me; the transaxle alone from RBT is 16K and although Ford will get the buddy rate it won't drop all that much. How many do you all think they could sell?
I was not impressed by the Tbird "reissue" and haven't even gone to look at one. And I agree that with Nasser out of the picture the chance of the car coming to market is decreased a great deal.
What I like, though, is that they didn't fool much with the appearance of the body; shows just how good it was to start with..
Jim R

Specifications from the Blue Oval News press release indicate that this is a much larger vehicle than the '60's version of the GT 40 at wheelbase 106.7 vs. 95; height 43.5 vs. 40 (is it really a GT 43.5?). I wonder where they managed to find room for the blower and whether they tried to incorporate some luggage space as they did on the MK III. No doubt if F did in fact scrap production plans, at least the kit manufacturers will jump on it if there is any demand.

Ron Earp

Admin
As Hershal and Jim have stated, the Tbird was underimpressive. Now, if they let SVT get a hold of one maybe they could make something that is passable for performance. I have seen various rumors that the future Mustang is based on the modified LS/Tbird/Jag platform thus there may be some synergy there for performance mods.

I bet the new GT40, if it sees production, will be a bit too posh for many of our tastes. And, I think the replicas will have the upper hand in performance. Most of the US GT40s I know of, or in construction, have 420+ hp engines in the bay or in the garage. With a weight of only 2200-2400 lbs (over estimated for some cars) the new GT40 at 3000+ lbs should have trouble in the handling and acceleration contests.

R

Just returned from the media day at the Detroit NAIAS ,I was all gung ho to see the new car but it is not even on the stage yet,it will appear tomorrow for the Press day.There is what looks to be an original Mk 1,still under cover also, mounted on the wall as a display and a huge GT40 backdrop with a 20 foot square monitor to the right of the stage.I will go back in a day or so and see the real thing,I will post some pics as soon as I get back.

ever since the GT90 project Ford has yet to show some balls to make a supercar. I also heard in a magazine that had the GT40CC (Concept Car) Ford said it would have the same engine that was in the GT90, too bad though I love the extreme design. I'd love to see that GT40 race in the ALMS, I bet it would win LeMans, or at least it's class.

Ron,
I had a few parts for people. Nothing for you-sorry. I did have a couple packages for Gordon so maybe that's new lit or photo stuff but I don't know because I didn't open it. The unpacking is done and the lights etc. are going on just to come off but it is something to do until I can get the panels on. I got the windows going on today. Robert supplied the ones I requested(square vents) Very Very nice. The hindges and locks look great, cutting them out to a perfect fit is a little challenge but hey what isn't goin to be. It's all worth it in the end. I've seen many shapes and ways to mount them in the the window or even on the window like the black car in the Robert's brochure. The orginals are mounted in the window and that is how mine are. They don't seal but they look real nice.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
It looks like Ford have learned something from GM's evolutionary fiasco from the '70's & '80's - the first cut usually is "right". GM kept adding plastic at the front & back of their Corvettes & Camaros & all that happened was that they got longer & uglier.

If Ford stick to the original MkI design, they will be on a winner - it looks "right".

My experience here in Australia has been that any publicity on a fundamentally good car just increases the buying public's awareness of the car, & that this lifts the value of just about anything with the same name - older ones, replicas, etc.

Here's Hoping !!

Peter D.

G

Sorry guys but I don't like the look of this "new" GT40. It looks like a custom car to me! It may have get up and go but tinted windows and flashy wheels??? As my uncle would say, yuk yuk yuk. Part of what we all like of the 1960's 40s was the charisma and basic nature (ok brute force)which however hard Ford try cannot be put into a brand new car today. It will be all emissions controlled and safety conscious (no bad thing really) so all in all just a modern car with a good shape to it.

MG tried this route with the MG RV8 and that failed to grab the attention it had hoped for so they then went and designed the all new MG F and this sold like hot cakes.

However I hope Ford come up with a replacement GT40 that can do the biz!

Malcolm

I like it and I hope that Ford produces it and one-ups Dodge and their Viper and GM and their Z06. I'm not crazy about the blown 5.4 DOHC, though, the long stroke and small bore on that engine scare me. I'd rather see the Aston-Martin V12 in their, which could make 450+ bhp easily without forced induction.

Honestly, if Ford can bring the price in under $100,000, I'd probably buy one instead of a kit, because my current cost estimate to build a kit the way I really want is around $70,000, plus ~500 hours of labor. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

Why didn't they use the Saleen al alum. 427 Windsor in this car. Less weight. Less size. More power.

I am sorry it has pushrods.
smile.gif

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: CCX33911 ]

G

So after considerable market research and
the best thinkiing of the brightest at Ford,
they decided to showcase an overpriced replica of a 35 year old car. Amazing!

Chrysler sells about 1000 Vipers a year
for well under $ 100k, wins Lemans a few
times, and gets more 10 times more press out of that car than what they invested.

MEMO to Ford....

Run, don't walk to Saleen.
Hire his designers. Bring the S7 to market
using mass production techniques for $ 100k.
Fire your designers/marketing gurus.

MikeD

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: MikeD ]

Back