Some GT40 photos from Australia

I've been mainly lurking about without posting, but I have a few photos that you might like:
10122GT40KR.jpg

This one has a 4.6 modular motor and Porsche transaxle.
Craig

G

These look like DRB/GT40 Australia cars. Is that right?? They do make a nice car and Dennis was excellent to deal with (I bought a set of uprights from him). My impession is that the new owners are as well. There is one of these cars in Memphis that I had a chance to look over and ride in. Other than a few problems with the fellows custom conversion of a Porsche 915 transaxle to hydraulic clutch, the car seemed very well put together. Although, the frontal side walls kind of trapped air and caused the nostril panel to move around a bit, but that is fixable.

Lynn

Craig, I benn wondering how long it was before you posted over here, We're glad you did. The black GT is beautiful! Can you get some more pictures of it's engine ?
Hey Craig, spread the word to all those GT40 owner to get on this board. You Aussie's and Britt's are way ahead of us on
the GT40.The more the better.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh, I don't have any more detailed photos of the motor other than this :
picture_038.jpg

It's a beautiful car, and it's certainly no show queen. It's driven hard ALL THE TIME!!! The owner plans on spending as much time on the track (roadracing and dragracing) as on the street. The DOT legal race tyres are on the car fulltime....

Oh, don't mind the date on the photos - they're more recent than that. The camera user just doesn't know how to use the equipment!

picture_034.jpg

Lynn, they are DRB GT40s. Denis seemed to be really passionate about his GT40s, and Peter Ransom - the current owner - is even more technically minded. He is fantastic to talk to. I have never spent a cent with Peter, yet he has spent a fair amount of time helping me with some engineering aspects of my "custom chassis" Cobra. He didn't have to help me, but he's just another enthusiast who happens to also make a living from his hobby!

Craig,
Thanks man ! that is one sweet lookin'
GT. I really like the way the headlight
covers are done, very similar to the way
I am doing mine. I also like the Recaro
seats he has. I wish I new what type of
side mirrors those are and the ones on the
Gulf GT. I noticed too that the Gulf GT
has a side window vent. Is this something
that DRB offers or did the owner do it on
his own ?

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

The side vent window is actually a frame

with quarter window and opening panel(a la

MKIII)which fits into the standard window

opening, and is easily removed. If you look

at some of the close ups of the Gulf car you

can see the edge of the frame.

Bill

Thanks Guys,
That vent looks mighty handy. I might try that mod on my car.
I was considering a vent window that fits in the middle of the drivers window but it does not open enough to throw change out of for the toll booths. I was going to make my own similar to it but I was gonna put the hinges on the bottom and a catch lock on top. That way I could open the door and get my hand through it if I have to. The little door would fall towards the inside. It would also seal when shut.
I have been looking at all types of cars to see the different mirrors available with remote adjustment. So far I like the Miata. They have a base that will fit the GT doors
nicely. Also when I was at SAAC in Vegas I looked at the mirrors on the Series I. They are a bit large but would fit. As long as they fit the style of the GT I'll be happy. Besides the bigger the mirror the better.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

These guys are very helpful: they sold me uprights while some others won't even talk to you unless you have their car let alone sell you any parts. Some people are enthusiasts and some are business people; I prefer the former.

The opening side window is an offering with the car. They do very nice inner door panels as well. Dennis sent me a stack of pictures and the fit and finish of the cars is VERY nice.

The side mirrors on the black car look like Vitaloni Californians. Check Racer Parts Wholesale ~ $19.00 per

Hersh, this might show the window a little better, but I didn't get the mirror in the shot...
picture_017.jpg

The mirrors are just plain old Ford Australia produced to suit our Falcon range. They're worth $0- over here. Should I bring a few sets over when I come to the DVSF2?

Craig,
Thanks again . The body work on that
car is really good. The gaps are all even and from what I can see it all lines up nicely.
Them mirrors would probably do well in the
auction. If you got room bring them.
Are you just coming over for the fling or
are you gonna stick around for a bit?
Craig If you get the chance and you're in
the Phoenix area you are welcome to stay
here in my guest house. It ain't much
but it's comfy.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh, the Gulf car is the "prototype" DRB GT40. It has done many miles, and usually at speeds above the legal limits.... The engine management has been set to run rich on deceleration. This produces flames about 4 feet long when the guy backs off from high speed. It sure is a sight!

Thank you so much for your offer of the guest house! I was fairly sure what I was doing for the Fling, but since your email my head's been spinning
shocked.gif
Now I can't think of anything but that week in June!!!

Craig

Back