ford electronic dist (pointless)

G

F. Catt,
I have used these distributors on ford FE motors. You did not state the year and model for this dist, however I will give you some information that should help, as long as you hve the correct coil and module.
Dist purple goes to purple on module, orange to orange on module, black to black on module, ignition coil plus to blue on module with one wire to start on key position, red on module to plus on coil, this is the engine run position and should have a resistor 8 volts, minus on coil goes to green on module, white wire on module goes to plus on coil start on key position, red wire on module goes to resistor run position position. Hope this helps, I could send you a diagram if needed.

Thanks Malcolm, but this car do's not have the "module", just coil with separate ballast resistor (if necessary). Can this distributor trigger a ht impulse in the coil without the module? I understand that previuosly the engine ran OK without module in system, but has now been installed in a new car. Frank

G

F Catt, You will need the ford module with this distributor. I have heard of people using this dist with other electronic ignitions, that have their own modules. It wont work with just the coil.

Hi Frank,
If this is a Duraspark unit then I agree with Malcolm, he will need the module (see pics I have sent you via email). Units like the Pertronix Ignitor kit can work with just the coil but what catches some folks is that there are many cars that use a resistance wire from the ignition (instaed of a ballast resistor but does same job) that drops the coil voltage to 6v and uses a 6v coil. If you attatch the unit direct to the coil (as per most instruction leaflets) the voltage is too low for these units. You must run a separate wire from the ignition to provide 12v to the unit.Hope this hepls
cheers
Dave

Back