ISIS power and fuel pumps?

Wondering what everyone is doing for the fuel pumps since the ISIS (Infinity power) boxes don't come with any powered lines for these and the LS harness only has 1 fuel pump output.

I have two pumps, obviously. So wondering how others are doing this.

Mucho gracias! :)

~Eric

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The one fuel pump output in the LS engine harness can be split to two new relays. Use this as the low amperage turn on/off signals for the new relays. Then run two large gauge fused wires to the relays for the high current inputs and two large gauge wires for the outputs to the pumps. The ground wires should also match the size of the power wires.

A tip to remember if you are pushing the limits of the fuel delivery system. The larger the gauge wires and the shorter the run the better. Voltage drop is what you are trying to eliminate. Some OEM fuel pump wires were marginal in size. By simply running a new larger gauge wire enthusiasts were able to get a higher output from their existing fuel pumps. Racetronix is one company that sells kits to rewire the fuel pumps on some performance cars like Corvettes.

Last edited:
I would add to Ken's reply that you could also re-program some of the InfinityBox outputs to drive dedicated pumps, thereby eliminating the use of relays. The outputs are more expensive than relays of course, but are much more programmable if needed.

For example, assuming you had a LP and HP pump, you could program the LP pump to come on 2 seconds after the HP pump (it wouldn't need to come on immediately if the HP pump was pulling from the swirl pot). This would reduce any voltage drop to the HP pump that arose from multiple pumps or other loads at start.

With a little more sophistication, you could use an Arduino board and an electric pressure sensor to read fuel pressure, and feed back a 0-5v signal to InfinityBox which could then use pulse width modulation based on the 05v signal to control motor speed so the fuel pressure was always constant, without regard to input voltage variations from large loads. KenneBell has a pump controller that does this for much more money.

Alternatively, you could actually measure the pump loads, and if they were small enough, accounting for startup loads, you could just wire them in parallel, saving all the effort of relays, programming, etc. That's the simplest solution, and one that a lot of street-driven SLCs I know about use.

if the pumps draw < 25amps just pick an unused circuit and run a power wire to the pump (and ground the corresponding master cell wire, or run it through an off/on switch)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm only using one fuel pump in my system Eric. Also I'm not using the Infinity Power wiring. It would be interesting to hear how other builders are wiring their pumps.

I ran three pumps. Used LS output to power the relay triggers with the ground side of the relay trigger to a dash panel switch. Of course you don't typically need the dash switches. Used circuit breakers on supply side of the relays.

Back