Rear radiators

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/25779-slc-001-build-27.html#post471798

attachment.php

It is Rumbles build, post #801. I found that using "Google search" works pretty well. A GT40 forum post will usually show up in the search results.

Why bother? The front location works like a charm. If I could get rid of my rear mounted rads in my 917 i would <but i can't>

SLC 001 page 12, Rumbles also has a rear radiator setup.

Actually my "trunk" has a surprising amount of space for an "exotic". Compared to a Lambo, Pagani, or whatever. It definitely has more space, I should work out the cubic on it. As much or more than my NSX did and that wasn't too bad. At least I won't have to buy new clothes everytime I drive it somewhere overnight.

Here is a couple PICs of my radiator.

Following the Rock crawler model, I mocked up the largest radiator that would fit in the available space. To maximize the radiator’s efficiency, I had it built with a 3 row core, high fin count, and a 2 pass flow. I then added the most powerful SPAL fans that would fit in the available space. It all fits snugly within the SLC body.

I had considered splitting the radiator and putting one on each side. However, that means twice the plumbing, and I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Locating the radiator on the right side seemed like a natural choice since the motor coolant lines point in that direction and the cabin heater is on the right side as well. Placing a single radiator close to the motor saves 30-40 lbs. compared to the long runs to a front mounted radiator. The weight savings isn't so much the pipe/connector/clamp hardware, as it is the coolant inside those long runs.

There are no significant changes to the body or chassis to accommodate the side mounted radiator system. It’s held in place with just 6 rivets and 2 screws.

The reduced ram air flow will be the greatest challenge, so I:
  • Increased the side vents
  • Added a scoop at the bottom to pick up air from under the car.
  • Added a small belly pan to the lower triangular chassis section to decrease pressure behind the radiator and pull air thru the radiator.
  • Reduced the heat radiating from the exhaust by using the insulated LS7 headers, insulated FlowMaster DBX mufflers, ceramic coating and thermal wrap on the exhaust tubing.
  • Minimized cooling demands running a bone stock LS3 (430HP).
  • Added a large oil cooler at the driver side vent.

I ended up with a huge trunk up front (for a super car). I can almost get in the trunk and close the hood!

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 329
Back