Front hubs

They look like C4 vette units to me. Can anyone confirm or had to replace at some point and know what it is? I have far too much run out (can wiggle wheel about 1/8") in one of my fronts and need to replace.

Thanks.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Stay away from the cheaper brands Scott. Personally I would only use SKF or Timken.

Just remember that if you use a ABS type of sensor upfront for traction control then you must also use some kind of ABS sensors in the back. The rear ones may be more difficult to rig up.

True Ken. Looks like the C5 vette and XLR use an abs integrated rear hub. Not sure if splines on axle work though and depth. That would make it easy if they bolted in.

Anyone confirmed on the make of rear hubs?

Thanks Ken. I looked in the build manual but never saw part numbers. I do know the c4 and c5 share alot of components, and from what I am seeing the c5 with counter should work in the rear. Hard to check part numbers since one had the abs counter, and other didn't. May pick up a cheap one and test. Sure save alot of work when it comes to setting up traction control.

C5 will NOT work
I have bearings made that are great quality compaired to the aftermarket ones available
The ones on the car you have are the older ones that are not the same as we supply now

C5 will NOT work
I have bearings made that are great quality compaired to the aftermarket ones available
The ones on the car you have are the older ones that are not the same as we supply now

Ordered a cheap ($42) rear C5 bearing for testing before seeing this. Atleast it is lower than my normal amount of wasted money. :laugh:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
They look like C4 vette units to me. Can anyone confirm or had to replace at some point and know what it is? I have far too much run out (can wiggle wheel about 1/8") in one of my fronts and need to replace.

Thanks.
Hi Scott
Just for the record Corvette hubs can have the bearings only replaced without replacing the whole hub as they are rebuildable.
If the bearings are still in a good usable condition it only requires a shim or two between the bearing race seat and the crush tube to bring it back to spec.
When replacing the bearings with new ones it still requires either a new crush tube or adding shims to take up the slack and preload the bearings.
Dimi.

Hi Scott
Just for the record Corvette hubs can have the bearings only replaced without replacing the whole hub as they are rebuildable.
If the bearings are still in a good usable condition it only requires a shim or two between the bearing race seat and the crush tube to bring it back to spec.
When replacing the bearings with new ones it still requires either a new crush tube or adding shims to take up the slack and preload the bearings.
Dimi.

Thanks for the info. I should be getting the new ones in a day or two though. The wheel counters were also an incentive to just get new ones also.

Whats the recommended torque spec for the C4 hubs. If you look on the web you can find anywhere form 100 to 150 ft/lbs.

Back