Any tips on finding an A/C leak?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I got my A/C charged and had nice cold air for a few days, now it's not working again. :furious: Must have a leak somewhere, but I have no idea on how to go about finding it.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
UV/Black light is combined with a dye that you inject into the A/C system.

I find it's simpler to use a sniffer around all the fittings, 9 times out of 10 it's a fitting that is leaking, but this method can be hampered by fans blowing air around, easier on a mid engine. If you don't want to purchase one, call around the local auto parts stores and see if they have a loaner or an UV kit, Autozone often do.

Julian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Pete, agreed that a fitting is more likely and hope it turns out that way, but in my case it turned out to be the shaft seal on the a/c pump, there was a little corrosion on the shaft. The system had been changed to the latest refrigerant too, which was more 'leaky'.
Dave

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Also check to make sure the compressor is engaging when the a/c is turned on.

Well, it's not now because the pressure is too low in the system.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos last night on how to find leaks. So, I'm off to the auto parts store today for some UV dye, more R134, and a UV flashlight. Harbor Freight has an electronic sniffer on sale, so I think I'll pick one of those up too.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Found the leak, the UV dye worked great. Turned out to be a hose to fitting connection I apparently didn't have crimped well enough. Re-crimped and seems to be fixed.

Back