Mike Pass

Supporter
"Strange item on EBay"
Just seen this on EBay
Detomaso Pantera 78 engine,ZF 5 PANTERA GT40 G50 TRANSAXLE
Item number 121223558946
NO feedback
0.99p start
PayPal or credit card payment - no pay on collection!
In "Aberdeen" that well known motor city.
Only 2 pics when you get 12 included on EBay
Says "will usually dispatch within 3days of receiving cleared payment"
Says ZF and G50 in title.

This is the text that goes with it

Hi thanks for looking at this sale . Up for sale is the complete engine and transmission from a 78 Detomaso Pantera. This is a strong running setup and was only removed because the owner wants more power so is going with a custom twin turbo setup and mendeola trans instead. The actual mileage is unknown but the car only had 30,000 or so miles on it and the engine had been either rebuilt or freshened because the block has new core plugs and paint and ran super strong. The cam is probably a bit more than stock for a Cleveland.It has a nice Demon carburettor.

The Pantera uses a five speed ZF transaxle with a final drive ratio of 4.22. The same type of transaxle was used in the Ford GT40. The ZF is very, very strong and is of limited-slip design. The 1st gear ratio is 2.23, 2nd gear is 1.47, 3rd gear is 1.04, 4th gear is .846 and 5th gear is .705.

I know what I think - what do you think?
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Re: EBay alert

I won't be sending any money either by PayPal or by credit card. I would strongly suggest that no one should pay anything without actually getting to see the item "when they collect it."
Cheers
Mike

Julian

Lifetime Supporter

"PayPal or credit card payment - no pay on collection!"

Need more be said?

Not sure what eBay UK policies are but that's about the only way you can list items in the US, as Paypal is an eBay company they force you to double up on fees that way. That said with eBay/Paypal there is a buyer protection and a money back guarantee.

The challenge with eBay these days is sorting out what could be a good deal from the scams. The only way is to flush the seller out via a request for ZF or engine ID# with additional photos or preferably a phone number to talk to the seller. Unanswered questions are usually a good indication to run.

Here is the link:

DeTomaso Pantera 78 Engine ZF 5 Pantera GT40 G50 Transaxle | eBay

Was that Pete Schomer fellow involved in gearbox transactions in Scotland/UK?

I think it all got interlinked Ron in this thread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/feedback-buyers-sellers-vendors/33193-zf-scam-watch-out.html

and also Shaughnessey's thread on Pete.

I personally wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. I'll put a marker down that if you said you lived in Scotland and would liek to come and see it then he would claim to be in the Hebrides or something...

Mike Pass

Supporter
I sent a message to the seller saying I would like to come and see the item. Two days and no reply...............

Cheers
Mike

I did get a reply - says he's in Fraserburgh Aberdeenshire, I responded asking when could I view the item but no response yet.

Ebay just contacted me to say ignore the message i was sent as they think its a hacked account. The listing has now disappeared.

The only way to buy a transaxle from an unfamiliar party is to drive up with your pickup/trailer/suburban/SUV, plop it in the back, and then pay cash.....final step, drive off.

Back