2013 NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill

The #03 car from Team QRP has run in the top 5 all race, so far, and has led the most laps of any car. It currently is in the lead at the 6 hour mark.

It's hard to ignore the pure performance of the SLC against much more costly, more developed cars, especially factory race cars like the Radicals, etc which have no pretensions of ever being a street car.

It's a long race, and anything can happen. But the results so far are incredible for a car that can be bought by anyone and turned into a very potent race car.

Sometimes I go out into the garage and just look at mine. :)

Win on Saturday AND Sunday, sell on Monday!!!!

Way to go guys, keep up the great work!!!! Wish I could be there!!!!!

Edit: Thank you guys for putting up the links.

The 03 car led the first three laps or so and then many more in between as we left Ted, Don and the crew had just finished thier second pit stop, nicely done. The 52 car was serving a one minute penalty for something (03 also had a one minute penalty for passing under yellow a few laps earlier). Rear tires showed no real wear, front were changed. Target lap was a mellow :58 as directed by team leader Ted....and get this in order to save wear on the car they were doing most of those laps in ONE gear! About the same time the Eagle was in the pits for it's second long stop, this time a rear wing mount was loose and a CV joint may have been replaced. The Audis sounded great, I wonder what exhaust they had as I'd like it if my S8 sounded like them! We wished everyone good luck and headed home as soon as the sun started going down the temps dropped FAST.

Also saw pics of the GTM.... Looks like that car has retired (possibly permanently). Hopefully, no one was injured!!!

Keep on keepin' on, QRP!!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
The GTM had a fuel fire in the engine room on lap 2, everybody OK, they were working on it when we left. They had the powertrain out and had run for more parts.

It was bad but not catastrophic. All the soft stuff in the engine room, engine cover, burnt. Chassis, suspension, center section and nose bodywork, cockpit, dirty, other wise good to go.

GTM after the fire.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ku-xlarge.jpg
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 765
Gladly nobody was hurt...the PDG crew have worked through the night to resurrect the car it seems and will be on track again...bravo those boys.

I just read that the steering rack failed on the 03 and they do not have a spare with them.....
The team were dominating the race with a 4 lap lead at the time of the failure....

What a spectacular performance from Team QRP and all the drivers....well done guys

Last edited:
The #03 car from Team QRP has run in the top 5 all race, so far, and has led the most laps of any car. It currently is in the lead at the 6 hour mark.

It's hard to ignore the pure performance of the SLC against much more costly, more developed cars, especially factory race cars like the Radicals, etc which have no pretensions of ever being a street car.

It's a long race, and anything can happen. But the results so far are incredible for a car that can be bought by anyone and turned into a very potent race car.

Sometimes I go out into the garage and just look at mine. :)
Fran, U have certainly designed and built a most wonderful car. I think the SL-C's legacy is just starting to be written. And I think this race & the NASA SU World Championship both help show how important racing is for validating to the world the overall legitimate excellence of this true supercar. Especially now as we see another successful SL-C racecar built more around Fran's ideas. (Basically stock RCR race config w/ LS engine). This last TEAM QRP SL-C led almost the entire race for over 18 hrs by a significant margin! The SL-C is a real champion.

beer2.gif

NASA8615_zps5a01bf03.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks John...chops also to the team QRP's build and prep and Chris Durbins dream and drive and ambition to win the 25hr too.

It does make the SLC pretty hard to ignore doesn't it.....:shocked:

Last edited:

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
While it is so unfortunate that they had to retire, they certainly demonstrated that they have a first-class racing team, and they proved once again that the SLC has world-class capabilities.

Superlitecars facebook...

60 cars started the 2013 USAF 25 hours of Thunderhill, and each of them had a story.

Here’s the story, so far, of the #03 Team QRP Superlite SLC.

In qualifying, Mike Skeen was able to put the new car on the second row, 4th overall and P2 in class, just behind the Superlite SLC-based DR Eagle, who took the class pole. This was an incredible feat, and the qualifying position was a portent of sp...eed in the race.

At the start of the race, Skeen leapt ahead at the first turn and led the field around for the first lap. And with a few exceptions for penalties, pit stops and the like, that’s how it mostly stayed through Saturday, with the SLC never dropping below 5th place, and usually holding a couple of laps lead in first place overall as other competitors fell by the wayside, or couldn’t keep up the pace set by the SLC in its first long endurance race.

The SLC was able to run very long fuel stints, the first one being around 2 hours and 40 minutes, which is stunning for a large V8-powered car. Some caution periods and the ability to short-shift the car, making use of the massive torque reserves , helped extend the runs.

One of the other sports racers blew an engine, and replaced it in the pits. Another blew up an engine in a spectacular way without a replacement.

As night approached, some of the other fast cars began to have problems. The Wolf GB08S, a carbon-fiber, all-out sports racer that had qualified on the overall pole with a soul-crushing time began to slow, as electrical problems began to affect the engine. Eventually it would lose 15 laps in the pits changing an alternator. It returned and started to run very fast times.

The SLC responded to the faster cars by staying true to the race plan, which called for times in a certain range, which it maintained. The faster cars changed places behind the SLC, but never managed to make up laps lost, and when threatened, the SLC just poured on faster laps as needed, settling down when the situation permitted.

All night the SLC maintained a comfortable cushion of 2-4 laps that none of the other cars seemed to be able to do anything about. If the SLC could stay out of trouble, and maintain it’s speed, it looked like a contender for the overall win.

Then, just as the sun was about to rise over the track, a steering shaft failed. There was no spare, and the car was done.

And just like that, a dominating performance with a new car was cut short.

But there is more to the story.

There’s the part where a small team of amateur builders built a car from a kit that challenged purpose-built race cars from Audi, Porsche and Radical- and led them all through the majority of the race.

There’s the part about a small company from Detroit that created the SLC from scratch to challenge the big guys- and did.

There’s the part where a small, amateur team who believed in themselves were able to build a team that devised a race strategy that enabled them to lead a major endurance race for the majority of the race until a small, obscure part failed them.

And the part of the story where a group of great drivers were able to extract the maximum from the car, while protecting it for the long run.

That’s the story of the #03 SLC for this race.

But that’s not the end of the story for the car. The 03 car will be back, and write new chapters in more races. And we think that will be a great story to tell.

The Superlite SLC. It’s a pretty exciting story so far.

Bravo!!!

I was up multiple times last night checking the top ten, and the SLC was always there. What an amazing accomplishment for the team!!! Total domination for 18 hours is almost unheard of, especially when it's from a small race team like QRP.

Again, congratulations on your first run in the new car. I imagine other teams are already trying to come up with new race strategies to combat the QRP SLC. It's amazing to think that the SLC with a lightly massaged LS3 is a force to be reckoned with, compared to million dollar race teams from Audis, Porsches, etc.

Simply, WOW!

Back