2161 Makeover

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have and while I like it a lot I am hoping for a slightly different look. I will say the green can take on several different appearances depending on the light. It can seem pale in direct sunlight and very dark in overcast. I still say getting it to work right will come down to several components all working together. The red that it was worked well but was so over the top it was almost vulgar. I mean does a car that sits 40" off the ground with open megaphones need to in addition be bright red with big racing stripes and wings and spoilers? It was fun but I am looking for something with a little more of a vintage look. To each their own right. It would not surprise me in a few years I want something more LOUD and paint it red again lol.

When you want it red again, just call me and we can swap for a few years. Likely I will tire of the red by then and it will save us both a bunch of money. :thumbsup: I am riveted to your updates to see how yours turns out. Thanks for taking us along on your journey! Yours is one of my favorite GT40's out there. Question for you - are the vintage shell logos paint or decal? If decal, do you recall your source?

- Jeffrey

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My brother has a printer. You can get them from Raceline as well.

I will be selling the rear spoiler and front canards if anyone is interested. I'll get some photos and a F/S ad posted soon.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
From Luftkraft

Did a fair amount of hole filling the right way. These holes were only 3/16" diameter to start. After we feathered out the appropriate amount of glass (down to the core mat) these fill patches end up being over 2" in dia. Each. It's very important to make sure your patch feathers out gradually. Don't want any glass failures or defects popping up!

421310_584487378249355_371653977_n.jpg

Fill primed ready for block sanding

295665_584483844916375_269762768_n.jpg

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike did you have any damage on the lower front from rubbing the pavement? I've got some skid marks, wish there was a way to protect that area.

Ok I have to ask, what is the papers hanging down for?

Mike, what were the holes from?

Jack, I mounted an aluminum skid plate on the bottom of the front shell. The skid plate seems to help reduce fiberglass damage.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Those were the holes where the mirrors were. I had one slight scratch that did make it through the clear bra up front from dragging. We are doing the same as Kevin and making two aluminum pieces that will go under each side at about the width of the radiator opening. I don't know how thick yet but I am guessing not very. They will be riveted on and easily replaceable.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I need to wash my car but here are a few pictures of real road rash, almost 11k miles worth. Do you think the metal tubing to be strong enough for skid bars?

What about them papers hanging from the ceiling?

Attachments

• front 001.jpg
    front 001.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 270
  • front 002.jpg
    front 002.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 303
  • front 003.jpg
    front 003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 281
Still working on that but most likely a very dark bronze almost black. Whites are interesting with a wide variety of tones. A vintage white to me is not to bright or stark. All I know is there is a look I'm after and its made up of several things all working together. I still don't know if we've hit it and probably won't until its mostly together. Faith lol

Looking good, Mike! I'm still stuck on a Bentley or Jaguar Racing Green for mine so I guess there will be two green GT-40's in CO by next summer.

Have you looked at the 'Brown-Black' powder coat samples yet? I'm also trying to find the right powder coat tint for my wheels, something close to a very dark bronze and similar to the one at the Shelby-American Museum in Boulder.

Attachments

• DSC05411.jpg
    DSC05411.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC05410_red.jpg
    DSC05410_red.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 255
So you went White? Looks great, really like the FORD lettering and the contrast. Staying with Bronze colored wheels?

Mike:
Looks great so far, I can't wait to see it in full dress.
For the nose on some chassis I have seen strips of Delrin riveted to the chassis or even cheaper high density poly strips.
There is also the skateboard wheel method...a little bracket with a wheel on each side that rolls instead of letting the chassis/body scrape. They just need to hang a bit under the contact point and aren't noticeable.
Cheers
Phil

Back