2307 is alive!

Jack,

What is funny is I never drove one before I ordered mine and took delivery. I guess I was a little afraid something wouldn't meet my expectations. Some of my friends even questioned me on how you could spend that kind of money on a car that I have never driven.
Although we have been a little hot lately, 105f, the car has been and is a dream to drive. Although all the driving has been on the street, I have gone through the gears (1-2-3) to 6500 rpm and what a thrill. The noise and feel of 600 Hp right behind your head is worth the admission. What surprised me most so far is just the overall handling of the car considering this is basically 50 year old technology. As far as the RHD driving on the roads, not a problem and I'm glad I did it, the shifting is dead on and smooth.
Thanks again for all your input in Monterey, it was a pleasure listening to all your experiences over the years with your car.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

What is funny is I never drove one before I ordered mine and took delivery. I guess I was a little afraid something wouldn't meet my expectations. Some of my friends even questioned me on how you could spend that kind of money on a car that I have never driven.
Although we have been a little hot lately, 105f, the car has been and is a dream to drive. Although all the driving has been on the street, I have gone through the gears (1-2-3) to 6500 rpm and what a thrill. The noise and feel of 600 Hp right behind your head is worth the admission. What surprised me most so far is just the overall handling of the car considering this is basically 50 year old technology. As far as the RHD driving on the roads, not a problem and I'm glad I did it, the shifting is dead on and smooth.
Thanks again for all your input in Monterey, it was a pleasure listening to all your experiences over the years with your car.
:thumbsup:

Mike,

Your car is fantastic!!! Congratulations. I am maybe 6 months behind you. I expect a call any day (not holding my breath) to commit mine to production. I too have not actually driven one :) Glad your experience has met or exceeded expectations.

I am sure I can search threads, but can you remind us what engine configuration/builder you went with? Any other new lessons learned as you completed your order and build? Any particular options you went with/did not go with?

Thanks!

- Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

On the engine builder, I went with KeithCraft, very pleased with the job they did. I chose this route because I wanted a couple things that some of the crate engine companies would not do, dry sump, solid rollers as an example and they had done one before in my other car. The block was a little overkill with the Dart Iron Eagle block but I wanted 4-bolt mains on the end caps as well, Dry Sump oil system from Aviaid, lightweight rotating assembly from Scat, AFR 205 heads, Comp Elite solid rollers and Jesel shaft rockers, and the Eight Stack EFI system.

The key is tying everything together. I thought you stated you were going with the 427 Roush with the fuel injection. One of the nice options with them is you can order it complete with the ECU and the serpentine system installed and tuned. I liked the look of the injection system from Eightstack so I ordered the motor less the induction and the engine was dyno'd with one of their intake mainfolds and carburetors and then removed and mounted the injection prior to shipping to Olthoff's. Dennis then did the install of everything including just about all his upgrades he offers for the GT40 (I was only going to do this once) and chassis dyno for final setup. Dry sump is a little tricky, it needs to be mounted on the left side of the motor to accomodate the serpentine system that is on the left. I went with Dennis's serpentine system. It was designed for the GT40, it is a work of art, very compact. If you don't go with Roush, also make sure you get a short shaft water pump and a small cap distributor with the Eightstack, room gets very tight.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your project.

Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I saw your car at Olthoff's in April and was impressed!

Here are some pictures Lance sent me....

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 412
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 376
  • photo 5 (2).jpg
    photo 5 (2).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 370
  • photo 2 (5).jpg
    photo 2 (5).jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 353
Wow, that is just an awesome car. The color scheme is really striking--really inspired! Well-done!

I know I said that before. But that was just getting a glimpse of the car. Now that I've seen the whole thing, I feel compelled to say it again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I see some familiar looking megaphones :) I will tell you that once your car has made that sound, it will be hard to appreciate most anything else.

It is funny that I called Paul the other day. He thought I was you as we begin to talk through a couple of topics. After about a minute of both of us kind of scratching our heads, we realized the problem and had a good laugh. Your car seems to sit at the same ride height as mine. Have you or would you take a tape and measure at the pinch welds right behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels and check the ride height. You car looks great BTW!

Car sounds as good as it looks. There's nuth'n like megaphones...... I gotta say though the rear view mirrors look out of place IMO.

Mike, I will check the height and get back to you.

Rich, the mirrors aren't my favorite either. I personally like the location (kinda goes with the era) but I will be switching to the round brushed aluminum soon. When the car was at Olthoff's, I sat in a couple of cars with different mirrors and locations, I liked that location and those mirrors offered the most visibility so that is why they are on. Dennis did drill the hole pattern to the other type so it is an easy switch.

Mike,

I measured the car at the points you asked and I sit at 4 3/4" at the rear and 4 1/4" at the front. I really like the look of the lower cars, just don't think I want to go there yet. I would have to install one of those front end lifts that Rick did, super clean with a very small hydraulic resevoir that lifts the car about 1" - 1 1/2". I also attached a couple pictures of the skid guard Dennis/Paul did on the nose for those little scrapes that I am finding are pretty hard to avoid, even at an angle.

BTW, that was pretty funny about your conversation with Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 301

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the measurements. Mine is at 5" in the rear and 4 3/4" in the front. I barely scraped the front corner one time last year when going through a moderate dip getting onto the street. It went through the clear bar and put a little knick in the paint. Other than that I have not ever scraped anything else. When I repainted the car white I considered doing the front plates but decided against just to keep it clean and not drill all the rivet holes. I am going to take mine down to 4 1/2" front and rear and just continue to be careful.

Are you using a GoPro camera? I enjoy video and pictures just cruising around. Would love to see some more of your car. If I can help you or anyone with equipment or technique let me know. Congrats and enjoy!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Nice stuff Mike, great car, your wife envious of all the time you spend with it yet?! Front skid plate is my next project. Thanks for the pics. You guys are talking "nicks" I'm talking gouges. Yikes!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Regarding the looks of your car. No matter how perfectly executed you think it is, someone will find something that does not appeal to them. Human nature. Follow your own instincts and taste and make the car look like you want it to look.

Couldn't agree more! And that's fine, I have no problem with opinions, we all have them. Besides the mirrors, I still have the front canards to put on and the decal kit, just numbers and a couple side decals.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the video, Mike. The car looks and sounds fantastic. When Dennis set up my car he recommended the silver bullet mirrors in the same position as your black mirrors. That's what I went with, and they look like they belong there. Similar set up that many of the Lola cars used in the 60's.

Enjoy, and drive carefully! People will sit in your blind spot and take photos....

Mike, I will check the height and get back to you.

Rich, the mirrors aren't my favorite either. I personally like the location (kinda goes with the era) but I will be switching to the round brushed aluminum soon. When the car was at Olthoff's, I sat in a couple of cars with different mirrors and locations, I liked that location and those mirrors offered the most visibility so that is why they are on. Dennis did drill the hole pattern to the other type so it is an easy switch.

When I finally get around to installing mine it will be in same location as yours. My observation was with the "style" of mirror but it sounds like we're both on the same sheet of music there.:laugh:

Back