289 engine block

Paul, A friend of mine had a 289 block sitting in his workshop for years. Want me to see if he's still got it?
Simon

Simon,
I would certainly be interested to know much he wants for it. I've been offered several with the top end being £1000. I know these are rare but......

Paul
Try this guy :- Jamie 0776 5391959, a couple of months ago he had a 289 block for sale

$1500 !!!!!!Sounds like there is an money making opportunity here, maybe even franchise? Maybe I could quit my day job.
Import old engines to the UK?

Who needs to have a auto dealership?

You arn't wrong there Rick. After seeing those 'telephone numbers' people are paying for a block I sure am in the wrong business!!!
I think I'll rustle up a container load and head them for Europe!!

The 289 I just bought seems like a great deal now! I just bought a'66 289 for $200.00 complete from oil pan to carb. The seller even delivered it. I felt bad, so I gave him $50.00 for delivering it. Years ago he took it out of his Mustang and put in a 351 so the 289 sat in his garageforty years. Now to see if it's any good.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I paid £500 for a 1966 289 block including crank and heads as seen. The block had its original bore (thats rare).

I paid for the block (a risk) and then had it pressure tested and crack tested (magafux testing?). All was well and so the cylinders were rebored 30 thou over, a few tenths ground off the main crank bearings to clean them up and stainless seats on the exhaust valves and phospher bronze valve guides inserted.

Of course the machining and testing cost me more money but im sure I've got a solid engine. I can ask my engine builder if he can find a 289 for you....

Andy

Thanks for all the replies guys.
This evening I secured a 289 plus crank, rods & pistons for considerably less. However I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it now as I have also bought a 351M block for £41. I'm assured it's in excellent condition possibly only needing a rebore,we'll see when it arrives. So, I may have a 289 for sale. Any offers? Rest assured I won't be asking £1000!!!!!!

I understand the 351M is an underated engine & is ripe for tuning. Can any of you guys in the US confirm this?

The 351 would suit my latest project of own design/build MKII chassis unless of course Fran could sell me a MKVI body, my all time sexiest racer, closely followed by the Porsche 917. Well a mans gotta dream!!!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The 351M is a good engine but be aware it is taller and wider the the 289. Also there are other concerns that do not make it a direct swap for the 289.

Rick

Keith

Thanks for all the replies guys.
This evening I secured a 289 plus crank, rods & pistons for considerably less. However I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it now as I have also bought a 351M block for £41. I'm assured it's in excellent condition possibly only needing a rebore,we'll see when it arrives. So, I may have a 289 for sale. Any offers? Rest assured I won't be asking £1000!!!!!!

I understand the 351M is an underated engine & is ripe for tuning. Can any of you guys in the US confirm this?

The 351 would suit my latest project of own design/build MKII chassis unless of course Fran could sell me a MKVI body, my all time sexiest racer, closely followed by the Porsche 917. Well a mans gotta dream!!!

It's a truck block from the Cleveland family. You'd be building a 351 incher with that and as Rick says, it's taller wider and heavier. I think you'd be better off with the 289 block from the Windsor family as all the latest trick stuff seems to be built around them....+ it's period correct.

The 351M and 400M engines are from the "385" engine family. The bolt housing configuration is the same as a 429" and 460" engine, which made it to so many Ford F-150/F-250/& F-350 Ford Pickups. As Keith said above, not much aftermarket performance options available at resonable prices anyway.

In 1977/1978, Ford produced a batch of 400M engines that turned out to have bad crankshafts from the factory. My personal experience (1978 F-150 4X4-400M) was having a crankshaft break in half while I was towing my Cobra to the Montery Historics. It bent 4 connnecting rods, broke the cam in 3 pieces, sheared off the oil pump, and more. Only thing salvaged was the intake/carb, valve covers, and oil pan. The rest was scrap.

I also think your 289 Windsor engine would be a more likely canidate for fitting in a GT40. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck any way you go!

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I know the 351M/400 is a heavy block but it’s lighter than a 427 & considering I intend to build a MKII it’s ideal.
The plan is to start with a 400 series crank & eagle rods & re-bore to +0.030” but this is where I stumble as I can’t find a supplier for high compression pistons so I my have to have these made. This mated to a pair of Stock heads skimmed by 0.025” will give 9.45:1 compression ratio, unless I can get hold of a pair of Aussie Quenched heads or substitute for a pair of BY6162 heads from Edelbrock.
Critical area is camshaft, probably 268 degrees duration at 0.050” lift (not to much overlap) plenty of flow at low to medium valve lift. Undecided on this & will need to seek more expert advice
Carb size will be decided once I know the final CID figures (carb size calc= engine CID x max rpm x 3.456 constant) but without doubt 1 of the Holley family matched to a 2V inlet header although I need some more info on this as a 4V may be more suited to higher rpm as the 351M should easily rev to 6500rpm. Or maybe a pair of 1848-1 carbs mounted on a dual quad header assuming this will fit the 351M wider deck, I think Holley supply an adaptor to mate 351C components to a 400? However I would be raising the deck height so consideration will have to given to engine position in the chassis.
Shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to achieve 375+bhp & probably nearer 400 & all this mated to the 4 speed 930 ‘box should give masses of low rpm torque.
However, I’ve been told that with just a bit more investment 500+bhp isn’t unachievable & considering I’ve only paid £41 for this block………
I'll start another thread around the build-up of the 351M later.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I know the 351M/400 is a heavy block but it’s lighter than a 427 & considering I intend to build a MKII it’s ideal.
The plan is to start with a 400 series crank & eagle rods & re-bore to +0.030” but this is where I stumble as I can’t find a supplier for high compression pistons so I my have to have these made. This mated to a pair of Stock heads skimmed by 0.025” will give 9.45:1 compression ratio, unless I can get hold of a pair of Aussie Quenched heads or substitute for a pair of BY6162 heads from Edelbrock.
Critical area is camshaft, probably 268 degrees duration at 0.050” lift (not to much overlap) plenty of flow at low to medium valve lift. Undecided on this & will need to seek more expert advice
Carb size will be decided once I know the final CID figures (carb size calc= engine CID x max rpm x 3.456 constant) but without doubt 1 of the Holley family matched to a 2V inlet header although I need some more info on this as a 4V may be more suited to higher rpm as the 351M should easily rev to 6500rpm. Or maybe a pair of 1848-1 carbs mounted on a dual quad header assuming this will fit the 351M wider deck, I think Holley supply an adaptor to mate 351C components to a 400? However I would be raising the deck height so consideration will have to given to engine position in the chassis.
Shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to achieve 375+bhp & probably nearer 400 & all this mated to the 4 speed 930 ‘box should give masses of low rpm torque.
However, I’ve been told that with just a bit more investment 500+bhp isn’t unachievable & considering I’ve only paid £41 for this block………
I'll start another thread around the build-up of the 351M later.

That 41 pound will be the 'only' cheap part of this build.You will end up spending more money on parts to make it fit than what it will cost you to obtain a 351w to acheive the same or better results, plus if you wish to increase the HP even further at a later date the same dimension blocks (9.5" deck height) available aftermarket give you many options with regard to manifolds/heads etc. Conversely the 351m/400c deck height of 10.300" will limit your future choices to special one of manifolds-pushrods-conrods-bell housings-etc.( And I have not even mentioned all the known weak points of the 351m/400c block )

Jac Mac

Oh dear, d'ya get the feeling I've made a big mistake!? Must have a chat with the guy who reccomended the 351M/400.
At least I've still got the 289.

Back