289 Hi-Po w/heads Value?

I have a dillema.....I am driving a GTD with a 289 Hi-Po with the Hi-Po heads and possibley the correct Mustang intake. I have been researching some engine modifications and have been told that I should sell the 289 Hi-Po intact for its purist value and build a modern 302. Does anyone have a guess at the value of the 289?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

The hi-po heads you are using, are they vintage ("K" code) 1965-67? If they are, and haven't been modified too much, might be of value to restoration experts. They have unique casting numbers, etc... I've seen sets of 289 hi-po heads sell for $300 US a set.

I have a set that used to be in a '67 mustang. If you are looking for additional power, and weight reduction to boot (aluminum heads), try running one of the Ford Racing crate engines. I've had one in the 1967 Mustang I spoke of above, and it runs great. It's set-up to put out 325 bhp using a Holley 650 cfm carb. Ford Racing's website has all the details. www.fordracing.com
Hope this helps!

CJEGT40
Thanks for the reply! Externally there is a 21 cast into the head. Internally they have 65 and 289 castings as well as the cast in spring retainers. Where do I find the K code? Are the heads the only thing of value or is a strong running Hi-Po package better. The only modifications I am aware of is a "fireball 302" cam and 1.6 roller rockers.

Unless the heads have been cut on, they should bring 500 easy 'as-is', and close to a grand if redone. Try e-Bay. If someone is restoring a car & wants the right date codes, their value could go up & wa la! You have the coin for a nice set of (better) aluminum heads.

From what I understand, the problem with all the older Ford cylinder heads was lack of breathing. There are a lot of aftermarket cylinder heads out there that are vastly superior. If nothing else look at the sizes of the intake valves. More imprtantly, the biggest problem with a 289 is the possibility of 5/16" rod bolts. It is very desirable to move up to 3/8" bolts with matching connecting rods. Don't forget to have the engine rebalanced if you do.

Stig

There were only about 17,000 289HP engines made and the cars they came in had a high death rate. I would keep the heads with the block and put them in a safe corner. The cars they came in were were subjected to certain abusive owners who drove them like they were stolen & became parts motors. Complete 271 Mustang fastbacks are being put on the market for $30K and the engine is substantial % of the price.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andy,
Steve is dead on for the identification. The screw in studs are the only shaky ones as the base heads could have been modified at some point for screw ins. The cast pockets and cast ID are irrefutable.

However, I do believe the values being stated here are low. These set ups are getting quite rare.

I can say the old stangs are one thing I am familiar with, so don't sell this set up too cheap. For example, I sold an unrestored 4 speed trani (essentially a core needing a rebuild) from one of these cars for $1,200 last year. It had the date code a guy was looking for....

For reference on the photos and a sanity check on value...keep an eye on this auction: 320101361527

If you do decide to sell it cheap, drop me a note and consider it sold :D

Best of luck,
Rob
vintagevenom.com

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Motors of that vintage are getting valuable to kit car builders for another reason--often times the state registration regulations will allow the kit to be registered according to the year the engine was built. For those in states that allow this, the search for an appropriate engine can be exhausting. For example, would you rather try to sell a 1965 GT40 (or Cobra) or a 2004 GT40? Obviously, the demand for the '65 would be higher.

If it were mine, I'd follow Andy and Rob's advice and put the thing in the garage. The 271 hp 289 was quite the motor and it should command a better price than one of the standard 289 motors of the same era. Beware, though, if you decide to engage in a rebuild, the 271 hp version requires some rather specific procedures that are not necessary with the 200 hp 2-V and 225 hp 4-V versions.

Doug

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
How do these 3 year old threads resurface anyway? Now that it has, I wonder what Andy did with those heads because they aren't attached to the engine in my GT40 (previously his) anymore...

Andy 8v has been doing that a bit lately, have done it myself when researching old threads, its easy to type in an answer without checking dates etc.

Jac Mac

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Doh...!!!!! :shrug:

Andy..... ya goob. :D

Guess I'm a goob too for following you into the wall.... ;)

The heads went to the netherlands. Pistons and rods (non-matching numbers) went to California. The distributor went to Australia. The crank was not well enough to be re-used. Mark Charlton has the block with internally balanced 331 rotating assembly and new heads.
The old motor I posted about was all HiPo parts but as I recall It appeared to be a conglomeration of many HiPo motors as non of the date codes matched each other closely enough to be from the same build.

Back