302 Engine and Carb issues

Chuck

Supporter
Yea, Jac Mac, you (and several others) nailed it. It is definitely a balance issue.

T and L informed me today the engine was internally balanced and thus we need a zero balance flywheel, not a 28 ounce, (as the original documentation indicated). So, Jac Mac, fear not, we won't be running it until it is replaced.

Sure do appreciate all the comments and analysis in resolving this issue.

Those pesky carbs will just have to wait . . . . .

Anyone intereted in a like-new 28 ounce flywheel????

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I've said it before, will say it again....you can take JacMac's advice to the bank!

Surprising it survived the dyno pulls...

Doug

I've said it before, will say it again....you can take JacMac's advice to the bank!

Surprising it survived the dyno pulls...

Doug

I like that Doug, doesnt seem to matter how much money I have put into the Bank for the last 40 odd years they always reckon its not enough- next time I will write some advice on the deposit slip!! I have tried giving it to them verbally in the past which did not have the desired result.

Chuck- I would pull the pan & check the main brgs, plus look for any sign of movement/fretting at the main bearing cap/block interface, naturally if you see any signs further investigation, crack test etc may be reqd.

Chuck

Supporter
I
Chuck- I would pull the pan & check the main brgs, plus look for any sign of movement/fretting at the main bearing cap/block interface, naturally if you see any signs further investigation, crack test etc may be reqd.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that when we change the flywheel.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Your flywheel may be able to be re-balanced a lot cheaper than replacing it... I'll shoot a pic of my flywheel and post it so you can see how they balanced it..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here are the pictures of my flywheel (Porsche/Ford) balanced to 28oz..

I just spoke with Dave Engel about re-balancing the flywheel to neutral and he thought it could be done if you machine it in 2 other places (essentially dividing the flywheel into thirds).. It would also give you a bit lighter of a flywheel... She'd rev quicker!!

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

Chuck

Supporter
Randy:

Very good point. Checked into that option. Rebalancing the old: $30. Buying a new one: $300. Guess which option we will take?

As you noted, it will rev faster!!

Now if I could just find the time to take it all apart . . . . .

Chuck

Back