40-year reunion in 2004?

It seems logical to me that a 40-year reunion of GT40s should take place in 2004. After all, the number 40 is very important to this car.
wink.gif
Speaking from a purely selfish perspective, 2004 also appeals to me because there's a reasonable chance I can have my car done by then, and it would give me a deadline towards which I can work!
grin.gif
grin.gif

From what little I know, the 25th reunion at Watkins Glen in 1989 was very successful. With the advent of the internet, and this forum in particular, plus the much larger number of quality replicas on the road now, this could be a spectacular event. I know most of us would try to get there, regardless of the venue. Speaking from a selfish perspective again, I would advocate a US venue for a number of reasons. There are any number of excellent tracks that could be reserved (Watkins Glen, Road America, Summit, VIR, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, Indy, Hallett, Laguna Seca, etc.) but we would need as much advance notice as we could get, so right now isn't too soon to start planning.

Frankly, I have no experience and little idea of what it takes to coordinate an event like this, but I'm sure it's a monumental feat. I know some of the folks who initiated the OTC this year on the west coast, and I'm sure they would share their experiences with us in regard to negotiating with the various tracks.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some of us to kick the idea around. Ron, I didn't start this thread in the Worldwide Events forum section because I thought it might get more traffic in All GT40 forum, and besides, it isn't an event yet!
wink.gif
Maybe we can scare up a few volumteers to help with the planning. I'll start by volunteering some of my time and by talking with a few of the OTC crew about what goes into planning an event like this.

So how about it? What say ye?

I would not be surprised if the Monterey Historic Races feature the GT40 either next year or in 2004. Featured car this year is the Corvette. Next year is Ford's 100th anniversary or some such thing and they're coming out with the new GT40...

G

If it happens I think it would be great! I just watched my reunion video from the Glen again the other day (is an unnarrated version of this available? All the talking and music over the engine sounds was driving me crazy!) I agree that it is time for another one. I know that Lee Holman tried one of these a year or two ago in Daytona. I never heard how it turned out, but he might be a good one to contact.

G

Basing a GT40 anniversary around Le Mans would make great sense to those already on the continent. But, for most of us on this side of the pond the prospects of shipping our cars to Europe are not very good. While Le Mans would be great fun, the idea of a GT40 anniversary with out our cars would be like the proverbial shower with your clothes on.

G

I am planning a US visit in summer 2004. So if it were during July/August I would try and co-ordinate our trip to take it in whilst making it seem a total coincidence to Wendy that it just so happened this 40 thing was happening. I will fail completely at this but she might let me go anyway as she is very nice! And tolerant.

Malcolm

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Maybe there could be a "simultaneous" (accounting for time differences)reunion on each continent so that (nearly) everyone had a chance of getting to a venue?

Surely with technology available today we could organise a 'link up' & turn it into a global event?

Anyone else got any thoughts on that?

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Maxiboy ]

Now thats an interesting thought....

A 'virtual' worldwide gathering!

I wonder if a TV Co. would be interested if we could get say 100 '40's together, at say Le Mans and Sebring?... they would have the technology to organise the link up....

Perhaps Ford would be interested in sponsoring a three continent event...

Europe at Le Mans
US at Sebring
Australia at Bathurst

Would be good PR for them..... come on... anyone from Ford involved with this Forum?

Regards

Neil

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

Back