6 point belts

Anyone have any opinions?
I had an accident in my other GTD and I found upon impact I slid out from under the belts. No damage apart from a bruised knee, but in a heavier impact would 6 points be better?
Can they also be used as 4 point belts if needed?
Thanks, as always, any advice appreciated.
Simon

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Anyone have any opinions?
I had an accident in my other GTD and I found upon impact I slid out from under the belts. No damage apart from a bruised knee, but in a heavier impact would 6 points be better?
Can they also be used as 4 point belts if needed?
Thanks, as always, any advice appreciated.
Simon

Glad to hear your injuries were limited to a bruised knee..

Yes a 5 or 6 point harness for cars like this are definitely in order since you're sitting in a semi-reclined position and you can easily (as you found) submarine under your lap belt and your shoulder harness is next to worthless.

Yes the 5/6 point harnesses can be used as a 4 point if so desired. Perhaps a bit easier for passengers in skirts! :heart:

One point, remember why they are 6 point, not 5 point harnesses.
Don't mount the crotch strap on the seat centreline. If you do, the head of the bolt will beat a merry tattoo on your coccyx as you drive along. Better to take 2 mounting points out to either side.
Whenever a passenger in a skirt gets into my car I always explain how this strap should be adjusted and fasten it for them.
I have 2 permanently black eyes.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The first pilot on the BMI B737 Kegworth Accident omitted to fasten the crutch strap
and submarined in his seat and out of the harness. I think the accident,consequent jagged metal, combined with the ensuiing decceleration virtually castrated him and left him wheelchair bound.
In the semi prone position in these cars submarining out of the harness has to be a real problem and a five or six point is a must. Anything less compounds the problem.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

Speak with Frank Catt
He has supplied me with a set of 6 point belts

But he gets them made with a long enough side strap pre adjuster that you can adjust the lap straps without having to remove the seat / get outthe car.

Pricy but well worth it for ease of use (Not OK for SVA but FIA approved - go figure that one out but I believe because of the twist to release mechanism instead of a button)

Ian

The reason as to why these harnesses is not approved is that it is very hard to se the blindspot when your are strapped in.. Atleast that´s why it is not road legal in sweden, amateur builds can however have both, one set of 3 point and the harness of your choice. for racing only thou ;)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tobias

Not so

I had fixed 4 point belts in my car at the SVA and it passed no problem as it had the necessary E markings for the SVA - also had a simple push to release button - The adjusters ended upnear floor level in the GT and were areal pain to adjust without being outside the car - but could be tightened once sitting - again - acceptable for the SVA.

The set from Frank are 6 point belts and fully FIA compliant but do not have the E marking and have a twist to release buckle Can be both loosened and tightened when seated

I would imagine the FIA tech is a fair amount higher than the SVA requirements but for some reason the Luke stuff is not E marked

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
If you call Luke (the harness manufacturer not a chap's name!), they make a GTD specific set and should be able to sort you out. I have a set on my car and the Type is 2006 SS (it may be 55 not SS as hand written!) and the serial number on mine was 57577 (to help them track the right ones down for you) according to the box my set came in. They are handed and the reason they are GTD specific is to get the adjusters easily accessed when the seats are in the car. The reason they are not E marked is because of the adjuster position is different to their regular belts (ie GTD specific) and so haven't been E mark tested. Glenn got me my set so I am not sure if he got them direct from Luke or through Mick Sollis.

No belts with a twist buckle are allowed under IVA rules. It has to be a push button.

The only reason I can think of is that "they" think that the general public are too stupid to operate a twist buckle in an accident.

However, once IVA is passed it's down to your friendly MOT tester.

Simon
thanks for posting this issue , I have been a bit lazy recently and have not bothered to fasten the crotch strap, Davids and Tonys replies have highlighted the potential pitfalls concerning the crotch strap ,so I now ensure I fasten mine and VERBALLY instruct my passenger to fasten his/hers,
cheers
John

Malcolm

Supporter
Spoke to Mick this morning who didn't supply my harness to Glenn so Glenn must have got my harness direct from Luke.

My buckles were mounted on one of the under seat straps, so that HAD to be used to do up the belt which meant it couldn't be used as a 4 point.

I'm pretty sure 6 and 5 point harnesses can only be used as 4 point if you specify that the buckle is to be mounted on one of the side straps when ordering.

Back