"917" based on 914-6 for sale!!!

13 Bats, you are correct, the 914 is a mid engine car and nobody flips the ring gear on those transaxles. I was talking about that melson car the other night being based on the 914 six. Had 914 on the brain. When i was telling you about my plans for my laser, i typed in 914 for my transaxle still had that 914 rolling around in my head. My transaxle is an old 412 transaxle with a Kennedy adapter and flywheel/4 pad clutch setup. It was a pretty smooth gearbox and took a lot of abuse with no problems when i had it in my 67 bug. It was fairly easy to adapt into the type 1 chasis. My Mercury v-6 is one of the old 60 degree jobs from the early70's over bored to 3.2 litres with an Offy intake and a Holly 780 cfm 4 barrel, hooker headers and that old tranny handled it with no complaints. The worst problem i had was with the chrome exhaust. The tight u-bend in the pipes causes a bit of excess heat in the pipes causing the chrome to turn blue. I hope the laser bodywork will allow me a little more room so as i don't have to have the pipes bent in such a sharp curve as i had under the bug. That nice high tail section may work to my advantage in the Laser. Saw one laser a few years back with exhaust running up the center of the pan and curving around into a set of old style lake sidepipes. Looked cool but looked like only about 3 inches of ground clearance in the center of the car. Would imagine that you would have to avoid streets with speed bumps with that type of exhaust setup,LOL. Anyway, i'm not in a rush. Going to take my time and plan out all the mods before i begin. Also, I'm looking at a second Laser that just happens to be here in Florida. If i can pick it up cheap enough, i may use it as the guinny pig as it's corvair six is not currently in the car. I can build that one and leave the first one i bought alone for awhile and just enjoy driving it the way it is.

Hey, just spotted an Avenger gt 40 on e-bay. It's right here in Orlando, Florida too. 1500 cc on a 70 pan. Nice looking build, powder blue with orange center stripe like the old gulf colors. Guy is asking ten grand for it.
Also a black one on e-bay too, a bit rough looking with six cylinder corvair power. I'm going to resist the temptation and concentrate on the lasers.

I have a website you might enjoy,

http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions

Someone else thought the v6 chevy route

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2301974195.html

Engines with low torque bolted to VW trannys...What you will run into is you basically loose first gear...it's like taking off in a lumber truck...you take off in second which is just a bit on the high side...forget holeshots.

Man...I would say 780 is a bit too much carb for a v6 and many v8's I run a 650 on my 383 in my vette and it comes on like a scalded cat,
Many people do tend to over cam and over carb,
I ran a 600 edelbrock on my Avenger with buick v6 and while it did work it was too much carb for the engine....

Looking forward to seeing your car...or well cars now,
If that other laser is a good price and the crowbar engine is running perhaps I would buy that engine from you if of course you desire to sell it,
Sadly most times the kit cars with vair engines are basket cases....
The rear of a laser is a cave...lots of room for all kinds of things, the battery is back there and I moved mine up front for many good reasons and many lasers have a sagging rear that needs support the factory didnt give them.....

You have me all motivated to get mine running and sold and move on to the next silly project.

When it comes to VW based kits they have to be really super nice, squared away and built well to start fetching anything over 5-6K when I see them advertised for 8-??? and then look close at things like engines that look like they have been at the bottom of a lake, I have to wonder do they ever sell....
I saw the Gulf Avenger on Fleabay...very nice car...not a 10k car by a long shot.
When is your silver laser due home?

I will be playing tunes thru,fri and sat nights this week at 11/12 on Lee road if you get your Laser and are out please pop by...my wife works the door so just tell her you are a car buddy...

Back