930 shift pattern and cable shift question

Ken,
I am sure there are other years or models that would work. Mine came from an 89 Tercell. I know that the Corolla has the same mechanism, as the breaker yard gave me a printout of both cars. I found both. The Corolla had been messed with by the owner of the car(chopped off the lenght of the shifter arm), so I took the Tercell. Here are the pics of the unit.
Picture151.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture157.jpg

Picture156.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Picture164.jpg

Picture163.jpg

To attach the Morse cables, all you need to do is cut off the length of the shifter connector needed and thread it with the 1/4x28. Then atach with a connector.

Bill

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Bill. Great photos, and they allow me to better understand the way this shifter works. Now to head to the salvage yard this weekend and find one for my 930 box.

Cheers

Could anyone tell me where to locate the bracket and shaft attachment hardware shown in several of the photos in this thread (particularly those pictured by Big-Foot)? I'm trying to hookup to a long G50-03. Thanks!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Could anyone tell me where to locate the bracket and shaft attachment hardware shown in several of the photos in this thread (particularly those pictured by Big-Foot)? I'm trying to hookup to a long G50-03. Thanks!

Brandwood is the maker of the original brackets and levers. I had to make my own lever and Shift bracket to make the combination work with my shortened G50/03.

Here's there website;

Cable-Shift - Home

Good luck on getting them to respond to emails or answer the phone. They would do neither for me which is why I spent weeks doing their work over again..

Will this shifter work with a 6-speed gearbox with the sam shift pattern as yours... Reverse..left-up.

Regards
Tomas

bill can you perhaps make me a few measurements?

I need to know when seen from above, how big the footprint of the baseplate of the tercel shifter is. the GD T70 I'm building is very narrow in the cockpit and i need to know which fit's or not

perhaps you're able to tell me especialy how wide this mechanism is. and from your point of vieuw, would it be possible to mount the ball on the piece that modifys axial movent on the stick in push pull to be mounted on the inside to make it even narrower than it is with that cable mountening pointing outward? (ie so I hac have both cables on top of eachother instead of next to eachother)

I would be very thankfull if you can provide the measurements.

ps does anybody know wherther this shifter was also aplied in the europa corrola or such? we don't have the model tercel over here in holland. despite the summer it's raining all the time, so if that would save a trip to the breakers it would mean more garage time :)

best regards thomas Rouw

Does anyone know what all years of the Tercel and Corolla this shifter was used in? I have one from a '90 Corolla and I understand they were used in late '80s and early '90s but don't have exact years.

Thanks

If you need a shifter that has the neutral lever that moves the opposite direction from the Toyota one take a look at the one from the Ford Taurus. The one I have came from an SHO and I don't know if all of the Taurus models are the same. It is nearly the same dimensions as the Toyota but the neutral lever is mounted so that it moves the opposite direction from the Toyota.

Thomas,
Sorry I missed your post from the other day. The shifter footprint is 3 1/2" square. The pieces for the connections can be cut and welded any way you would like them. The neutral gate arm(on outside) has a double bend that moves it away from the body of the shifter. I was having some interference issues with the seat I am using. I simply put it in the vise and re bent it so that it does not exceed the width of the shifter. It is so close that Dynamat insulation will only fit between it and the tunnel. My cenral tunnel is very narrow, barely less than the shifter, therefor the arm is on the outside of it. Otherwise I would have put it on the inside. The lenght you make the arms and the way you hook it to the trans is just a geometry problem. I can send you the measurements of the Z link I used for the fore and aft arm and the bell crank for the neutral gate. Take a look at my build thread
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/13742-drb-5-a-4.html on post #77 and see if you like them. Some of the guys aproached the tail shart from the side. I couldn't because of the cooler, oil lines and axle in the way. So I went on top for the fore and aft movement and the bottom for the neutral gate. The fore and aft was easy as the tail shaft is now on top with the inversion. The neutral gate was giving me fits with the coolers in the way for a side aproach and the body/framework from the bottom. It was close but it worked out. I may still shorten the tailshaft if torsional movement interfears. It's pretty solidly mounted so hope it doesn't.

Bill

Here's a shifter by PBS Eng'g. that I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's operation is about as simple as it gets and it's pretty compact. Click on "Upgraded Shifter" at the bottom of the page to see a three view assmbly drawing for a clear illustration of its operation.

SAND RAIL SHIFTER

Andy

Hey Bill and Andy.

sorry Bill, that's far to wide for the GD, there's no central tunnel in the GDt70 only a 38mm round chassis tube. so I don't think I'd be able to mount the tercel shifter there..... bugger would be a nice and cheap solution. the thing looks alot smaller in the picture, or just that vise is very large!

however the one that andy came up with seems very narrow indeed. maybe I can make one like that even more narrow, and just have the lower arm longer to keep up with travel, would mean that 1vs3vs5 would sit very close together on the Hpattern you maken on the stick, but still it's a very good option.

another option is to stick a stick right through the tube with a spherical bearing in the tube, (making it a cantilever) and have the lowerpart opperate a toyota tercel like mechanism, which sits on the floor, I gues there might be 8cm room inbetween the seats.
making a spherical bearing in the tube is the easiest way, still I would need a narrow cable mechanism, but seeing the sandrail one seems a very good option.

it's possible! just need to ponder the best way, to get the best opperation out of it. the G50 needs a LOT of force engaging reverse, the PSB seems a bit slim.

thanx all for helping out sofar, been great talking the some in the know of midengine problems.... if you ever decide to build a quick seven type car, maybe I can help there :drunk:

the gearbox side is something I will also fabricate myself, but that's the easy bit.

regards Thomas

Last edited:
Back