930 to LS in GD T70......

Hi guys!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPaul%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well my Gardner Douglas T70 build is now kind of underway. Although I’m not picking up the chassis and other bits in stage 1 until Dec/Jan I have picked up my first major component: The gearbox.
<o:p> </o:p>
I was planning to use a G50 mated to the LS engine but came across a 930 at what seems to be a great price so, having done lots more research on here regarding the 930, I snapped it up. I paid 1100 quid for it in guaranteed working order with a three month warranty.
So, I’m keen to pick your collective brains a little further on things I haven’t managed to resolve from wading through the massive info source which is this forum. :)
Firstly, as the box isn’t going to end up in a car within three months I suppose I ought to have a look inside and see if there are any obvious problems. Any advice as to what to look for (without a major stripdown) would be most appreciated. Also, if anyone has a workshop manual for a 930 I would be really appreciative if I could get hold of a copy???? Also, what would you recommend replacing as a matter of course - I need to refurbish it to "as new" condition for IVA. :)

Secondly, does anyone know of a serial number decode for the 930? There are some great threads on here regarding the G50s' numbers, but I can’t find one for the 930. That said, I can’t seem to get the forum search to work for me – it never finds anything (I must be doing something stupid…..) – so I have read through all of the pages in the Transaxle section instead, but no joy.
Thirdly, if there is no serial number decode, what is the best way of determining if there is an LSD in there? It fails the old “turn one output flange and see which way the other goes” test, but I know that isn’t a sure fire indicator. Is it easy to have a look at the diff and if so how do I recognise the LSD? Also, if it hasn’t got one I will probably fit one (probably an ATB) - is it a job that a reasonably competent home mechanic could tackle or would I be better off having it done professionally?
Fourthly, clearly I’ll need to invert the box. There are many threads on here regarding this. However, are there any particular recommendations for the 930 for road/occasional-track use? Is it worth installing a cooler for that use and aside from a new drain plug (what’s the best way of installing that?) are there any essential mods I should consider?
Fifthly, is the tough one. I know that the 930 has the same bolt pattern as the G50, but does it need the same adapter plate and clutch etc as the G50 to mate it to an LS? If anyone who has a 930 attached to an LS could drop me a list of the parts needed, details of part numbers and suppliers especially, it would be most appreciated. Any photos would be great. A big ask I know.
As always your advice and guidance would be really appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi Paul,

I've not got the final motor/trans assembly finished, but it is bolted together in a mock-up for axle placement, fabricating the mounts, etc.

standard.jpg

So far, and I've not got any of the clutch/PP parts installed, the kit from KEP seems to be well made. Inverted, the oil pan will be in the weeds unless you run some pretty large angles on the shafts, or you go dry sump (my option).
You can see in the below photo, the relationship of the "pretend" axle on a 26" tall tire wiith the engine crank centerline located about 12" above the ground. This means the shortest OEM oil pan (LS2 I believe) will be about 4.5" above the ground and you STILL have about 10º of axle angle. The LS7 pan will not give much better than this even though it is a "dry sump" system.

Not terribly bad, but I'm going to attempt the drysump thing and lower this about 2" to put the bellhousing down to about 5" AGL, which will be the lowest part of the whole drivetrain.

KEP will need to know if your 930 is a long or short case, and aside from that, the clutch needs, and inverted or not (no real choice there).

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated. :)

Terry, that looks great. I'll be using a dry sump LS (probably LS3) for exactly that reason. Have you got details for KEP? A "kit" sounds like exactly what I need.

Jack, many thanks! But I've checked my messages and don't have any........

Also, anyone know where I can borrow or buy one of those plastic fake LS engine blocks?

Cheers!

Paul

Simply out of interest, why does the 930 have to be inverted? Could it not be internally flipped like my 915. Better for shaft angles. Here's a pic to demonstrate.

Attachments

• Shaft Angles.jpg
    Shaft Angles.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 422

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My understanding is that inverting the transaxle has it pros and cons just as swapping the gear. In my humble opinion, when all comparisons were made, the inverted option appears to be the more attractive option. For me; a replacement spare didn't need to be remachined, the lower center of gravity, slave cylinder on top, and the placement of the shifter rod on top (car specific need) beat out the machining needed to be done (and is the case weakened when the machining is done?).
It's a moot point for me now. The dry sump basics arrived today and it will allow me to lower the engine/tranny assembly to make all the angles perfect.

Back