A simple benghazi quiz. Do you know the answer to any of these?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
NOBODY GAVE THE ORDER TO "STAND DOWN"

Report: Marine commander says no stand-down order in Benghazi attack

WASHINGTON, (UPI) -- A Marine operations commander told lawmakers Wednesday he gave troops in Libya permission to respond to a September 2012 attack on a U.S. mission in Tripoli.

Testifying in closed session before the House Armed Services Committee, Col. George Bristol contradicted claims by some congressional Republicans he had issued a stand-down order following the attack, in which U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stephens and three other Americans were killed, The Hill reported.

Bristol, who commanded Joint Special Operations Task Force-Trans Sahara at the time of the attack, said he gave the Tripoli security team leader, Lt. Col. S.E. Gibson, permission to act freely in response to the attack, The Hill said, citing a description it had received of the committee's members-only briefing.

Gibson had told Congress last month he was ordered not to send his team to Benghazi because they were needed in Tripoli in the event of an attack on the U.S. Embassy.

So Lt Col. Gibson told Congress that he was ordered to not to send his team to Bengazi.

IS THAT TRUE?

WASHINGTON (AP) - A House Republican chairman is doggedly pursuing the question of whether military personnel were told to “stand down” during the 2012 deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, despite the insistence of military leaders and other Republicans that it never happened.

Gibson's Commander, Col. George Bristol contradicted claims by some congressional Republicans he had issued a stand-down order following the attack

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Congress last June that personnel in Tripoli were never told to “stand down”!

Then "TOP REPUBLICANS" on the House Armed Services Committee reported in February that no such order was given.

Even Col. Gibson “acknowledged that, had he deployed to Benghazi, he would have left Americans in Tripoli undefended. He also stated that, in hindsight, he would not have been able to get to Benghazi in time to make a difference, and as it turned out, his medic was needed to provide urgent assistance to survivors once they arrived in Tripoli,” the statement said.

So lets recap:

We have Gibson saying he was ordered to "stand down".....

His Commender says point blank "it never happened"....

The Chairman of the JOINT CHIEFS after investigating the issue says it never happened.....

Yes, we even had "TOP REPUBLICANS" on the House Armed Services Committee reporting in February that no such order was given.

Now we have Col. Gibson himself saying that had he deployed it would have been too late and it would only have made things worse!

OK everybody, at the top of your lungs.......BENGAZI, BENGAZI, BENGAZI......

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Considering everything that has happend in the past 10 years, I am yet amazed (and I thought my cynicism had reach heights preventing that) that this incident is still the focus of attention of some. If this is what drives neuronal activity in today's voters and postings, then yes, we are absolutely getting what we deserve out of our leaders, and no one should complain. After this next election it will be the other side complaining, and crickets chirping in quiet silence from today's most vocal critics.

Reading this, I would assume that you were also amazed about the prosecution of Richard Nixon.

Considering everything that has happend in the past 10 years, I am yet amazed (and I thought my cynicism had reach heights preventing that) that this incident is still the focus of attention of some. If this is what drives neuronal activity in today's voters and postings, then yes, we are absolutely getting what we deserve out of our leaders, and no one should complain. After this next election it will be the other side complaining, and crickets chirping in quiet silence from today's most vocal critics.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
So, I ask again: Who gave the stand down order, Jim?

Someone obviously must have - OR no rescue op was ever ordered in the 1st place because we know no calvery was ever sent. Logic dictates that would only have been the case if 'troops' hadn't been ordered to go OR there had been a subsequent stand down order issued.

According to your story above, Bristol (Commander, Joint Special Operations Task Force-Trans Sahara) gave Gibson permission to act...but yet, Gibson (Tripoli security team leader) told Congress he was ordered not to send his team to Benghazi.

'He says, he says.' 'Finger pointing and butt-covering left and right.

I say again - either a 'go' order was never given in the 1st place, OR, one was given and somebody negated it. There are no other scenarios I can think of that would account for 'zero' help ever showing up - and either one is reprehensible as I see it.

Change the subject, obfuscate, it has nothing to do with polls Jim. It's about the truth, plain and simple.
Jim when you type a word like Secratary and it has a red line under it means it's spelled wrong, right click it for the correct spelling. We have had spell check for a while.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
YOU ARE CALLING REPUBLICAN HOUSE LEADERS LIERS!

I KNOW YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE ME, THIS COVERS THE ***REPUBLICAN*** HOUSE REPORT!

GOP Report Acknowledges That The U.S. Military Couldn’t Have Changed Benghazi Outcome

February 11, 2014 at 10:04 am Updated: February 11, 2014 at 12:10

In a new report released on Tuesday, the House Armed Services Committee concludes that there was no way for the U.S. military to have responded in time to the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya to save the four Americans killed that night. In doing so, the report debunks entirely a right-wing myth that says the White House ordered the military not to intervene.

For months after the attack that resulted in the death of U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens, conservative media was awash in reports that on the night of the assault the Obama administration at some point ordered the military not to take action that would have saved lives.

This supposed “stand down order” led to a bevy of right-wing conspiracies about why the President and his administration had let the Americans die.

“Who told the SEALs to stand down?” Rep. Steve King asked in Nov. 2012, in just one of many interviews with Republicans referring to the response to Benghazi as “worse than Watergate.

As the new report — which the Republican majority of the committee authored –makes very clear in its findings, however, no such order ever existed.

“There was no ‘stand down’ order issued to U.S. military personnel in Tripoli who sought to join the fight in Benghazi,” the report says, noting that the military was not positioned to respond to the attack.

“Given the military’s preparations on September 11, 2012, majority members have not yet discerned any response alternatives that could have likely changed the outcome of the Benghazi attack,” the report concludes.

This tracks with the repeated insistence from the White House and Pentagon over the months that everything possible had been done once the military assets in the region had mobilized.

******While Senate Republicans chided Panetta at the time, it seems Republicans on the HASC now agree with the secretary’s assessment. “Majority members believe the regional and global force posture assumed by the military on September 11, 2012 limited the response,” the report continues.*******

The Democrats on the panel asked their Republican colleagues if they could finally move on from Bengahzi.

“This report, produced by House Armed Services Committee Republicans, should finally bring an end to the politicization of the heinous attacks on brave Americans in Benghazi.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Obviously you did not read the review of the REPUBLICAN report, it is kind of long. I will post the important parts:

In a new report released on Tuesday, the House Armed Services Committee concludes that there was no way for the U.S. military to have responded in time to the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya to save the four Americans killed that night. In doing so, the report debunks entirely a right-wing myth that says the White House ordered the military not to intervene.

As the new report — which the Republican majority of the committee authored –makes ***very clear*** in its findings, however, no such order ever existed.

“There was no ‘stand down’ order issued to U.S. military personnel in Tripoli who sought to join the fight in Benghazi,” the report says, noting that the military was not positioned to respond to the attack.

While Senate Republicans chided Panetta at the time, it seems Republicans on the HASC now agree with the secretary’s assessment. “Majority members believe the regional and global force posture assumed by the military on September 11, 2012 limited the response,” the report continues.

IF YOU CLICK ON THE ***very clear*** YOU WILL GET THE WHOLE REPUBLICAN REPORT

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well in that case why wouldn't Gibson who claims he was ordered to stand down, simply have said there wasn't time to respond?
From my experience in the Military just because there is no written order doesn't mean a verbal one wasn't given.
Further to that Gibson could have been told to stand down because it was to late to respond. Military types rarely explain their orders.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The House Republicans talked to everyone involved, including Gibson.....

The House Republicans found no "Stand Down" order was given.

The House Republicans agree with Leon Paneta

The House Republicans agree wth Gibsons boss

The House Republicans agree with the Head of the Joint Cheifs

The House Republicans say no such order "ever existed"

Now here is the question, who it telling the truth?

All the military personnel actually involved, the House Republicans, Joint Cheifs and President of the United States....

Or Fox News.....?

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Who gave the stand down order, Jim?

OR - who should have sent troops but didn't?

One or the other happened and someone was responsible for it.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Larry, I will say this one more time, THERE NEVER WAS A STAND DOWN ORDER GIVEN.

This is fron AP:

But now even Republicans are admitting that a "stand down" order was never given. According to The Associated Press, Gibson told a Republican-led congressional committee on June 26 that he was never ordered to "stand down."
The former commander of a four-member Army Special Forces unit in Tripoli, Libya, denied Wednesday that he was told to stand down during last year's deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.

In a closed-door session with the House Armed Services Committee, Lt. Col. S.E. Gibson said they wanted to help, but his commanders told him it was too late and to remain in the capital of Tripoli, to defend Americans in the event of additional attacks and to help survivors being evacuated from Benghazi.

"Contrary to news reports, Gibson was not ordered to 'stand down' by higher command authorities in response to his understandable desire to lead a group of three other special forces soldiers to Benghazi," the Republican-led committee said in a summary of its classified briefing with military officials, including Gibson.

Now we have Gibson joining House Republicans in saying it never happened!

Remember, this was not just down the street, it's 400+ miles between Benghazi and Tripoly, a 6 to 7 hour drive. These four very brave guys were not going to be able to rush in and save the day.........it was too late!

Ya got that Larry, it NEVER HAPPENED!

I have shown you that everyone from the people actually involved to the House Republicans who investigated it. They all say the same thing, it never happened.....

Now instead of asking me again, why don't you go on the internet and find out for yourself if anyone actally involved says that order was given.

But check the dates and sources, as early on there was a lot of wildly incorrect stories.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"In a new report released on Tuesday, the House Armed Services Committee concludes that there was no way for the U.S. military to have responded in time to the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya to save the four Americans killed that night."

This is a "Monday morning quarterback" call.

At the time the attack started, no one knew how long it was going to go on, or where else the terrorists may have gone afterward and whatever else/whomever else may have been attacked. A 'rescue'/'counter terror' op should have been launched immediately to deal with the situation.

None was...'far as we know.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Larry its 400+ miles from Benghazi to Tripoly...........driving fast without traffic its a six hour drive. It was too late.

I'm proud that these four very brave guys pleaded to help, very proud!

It shows that Military had the right people for the job, but it was just too far.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Doesn't the U.S military have Helicopters at their disposal?
Re Gibson changing his story, his career probably depended on it.

Back