After images and information on MkIII GT40's

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Re: After images and information on MkIII GT40\'s

[ QUOTE ]

"Not being really old enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I only have vague memories of Noels car but I remembered the side windows which made me think it was a MkIII."

Presumably you are one of the "Mr Blobby" generation then ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

1072 is, I believe, here locally in the Marriott collection. It has a 289 with Webers and iron Ford heads, and those valve covers with the boxes welded on. It is red with white stripes, still has vintage race tires on it, and gets street driven by Bill Marriott occasionally. It has not been restored, does not need it. I see it from time to time at Grand Touring when it comes in for routine service.

P1107 is the Fords Heritage car and has been resprayed white with a blue centre stripe.The car Ian saw was that car before the blue centre stripe was added. It was originally sprayed silver. It was the course car at the Goodwood revival this year. The Ford GT40 MKI in gulf colours with the BRM five spoke is also a Fords Heritage car.
Since the MKIII side windows could fit the MKI there have been more than one MKI with these fitted.
Without checking I am sure the MKIII that was in Beauliu Motor Museum before the current white one was Blue. Was this Pie Wyer car? The daughter of John Wyer.
I have a postcard of the MKIII from Beauliu Motor Museum showing the colour to be Gold (rather confusing)!
There was a Yellow MKIII for sale about a year ago.
All the MKIII's should be running on Borrani wires (1966-7 Period).
I also have a press release picture of the MKIII. Most of the cars would have Ford letters on the front.
The dealer that I bought the pictures from also had some other pictures of what he though was a MKIII. They had a MKIII with no Ford letters on the nose and a latch on the nose. The real give away was the number plate KVA 1!!!!!
Sorry about the spelling

Ian Clark

Supporter

Thanks Graham, confirms my suspcions! on to the next mystery:)

Cheers

1072 is, I believe, here locally in the Marriott collection. It has a 289 with Webers and iron Ford heads, and those valve covers with the boxes welded on. It is red with white stripes, still has vintage race tires on it, and gets street driven by Bill Marriott occasionally. It has not been restored, does not need it. I see it from time to time at Grand Touring when it comes in for routine service.

Not its original colour then, i was interesting in 1072 as my Auntie in Law used to own it, with her late husband!!

Mike Pass

Supporter
DWC 8G is the number on the white (with stripes) Mk3 car owned by Ford MC which they brought to the Evo Magazine day at Oulton Park earlier this year. I guess it had been loaned out when seen. Perhaps not surprising that it being labelled a replica did not go down too well! I don't know what it would be worth on the open market but I would think it would be quite a lot.
Although it is a road car and getting on a bit it fairly flew round Oulton Park, handled well and stood comparison with the other 40s which were heavily modified examples. As regards the windows - they were framed in chromed steel and flat - they opened at the back edge but only a little.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Some pics of vthe FMC Mk3 at Oulton Park Evo day and window pic of blue MK3. Hope these are useful.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Fords MK3 OultonX.jpg
    Fords MK3 OultonX.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Ford's owm Mk3X.jpg
    Ford's owm Mk3X.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Road orig GT40 windowX.jpg
    Road orig GT40 windowX.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 339

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Mk III from the Beaulieu museum, whos the guy with the jacket???? ;-)

Andy

Attachments

• gt40.jpg
    gt40.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 338
Back