Amgt40/1

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I still think you will find out Paul Hawkins never won a race without a ZF in a GT40.

I'll think you'll find Paul Hawkins never raced with a ZF at all. If he did it was prior to Bernies arrival in Aug 1968.

I thought the Fortification issues # 80 onwards that had the recollections of Bernie Mylon, comprehensively confirmed that Paul Hawkins DID use the Hewland. Bernie is definite, there are photos and he mentions the Hewland in various contexts several times.

Note that Bernie is unlikely to be mistaken or to be confusing another car with AMGT2 as that was the only race car that he worked on in his short time as a race mechanic. He worked for Paul and then went with the car when it was sold to Juncadella. He then returned to Aussie to run the family business.

For more details see the first post here. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/original-gt40s/29294-hewland-lg600-amgt-2-a.html

Looks like a Hewland I think...

Also a 427. When and where could Paul hawkins run a 7 liter legaly? This shot shows AMGT-1 or 2 being used as a mule by H&M to test the 427 and hewland before the T-44s were decided to be in need. What does that tell us. I could be wrong but dont think I have ever seen a photo of a hewland and a small block in competition and I have alot of original photos and info.

The caption on this pic reads: AMGT1, #25, red,Whitmore/Gardner,Sebring, 1966.... That is while the car was in Alan Mann ownership & before the other pic above with the FE motor & some time before Hawkins drove the cars... to me the tailpipe dia in this pic looks smaller suggesting a 289 which would be correct for that event.... this also raises the question, did one or both of the Alan Mann cars act as test mules for the Hewlands which IIRC had just been given FIA approval around that time, that could explain why this car ended up at H&M still with the Hewland in the other pic with FE motor as Alan Mann had been instructed to enter MKII cars around this time.

I can understand why Hawkins would prefer a hewland over a ZF [ or even a T44] with the quick ratio change options.

EDIT, I just checked this photo on the actual 'Racing Sports Cars' site & both AMGT 1/2 were entered with 7000cc/7 liter engines, so both had FE's in them for the sebring event... one failed a valve, the other a clutch to DNF/

Last edited:
Also a 427. When and where could Paul hawkins run a 7 liter legaly? This shot shows AMGT-1 or 2 being used as a mule by H&M to test the 427 and hewland before the T-44s were decided to be in need. What does that tell us. I could be wrong but dont think I have ever seen a photo of a hewland and a small block in competition and I have alot of original photos and info.

The time line on that does not add up.... GT106 had a T44 in it @ Le Mans 1965, these photos are ~february thru april 1966, then no further results for either of the cars until Hawkins debuted AMGT2 on 24 march 1967 just to add further confusion to the mix & a bit off topic, the next dated pic I have of a GT40 related 427 with webers is on 17th August 1966 in the Miles/J-Car pre accident photo ( The one with 'J7 on the sponson), could this be the same engine??

All of this would appear to be a great opportunity for someone to create an original AMGT1/2 with 427 & Hewland, use the ex? Melia alloy panels.... or have some people already thought of that & waiting for the right time & place to do so??

Looks like a Hewland I think...

The GT40 racecar in Jac Mac's photo with the Hewland caption is AM GT 40/1. It has the prototype aluminum body on it. The engine is a 427 weber carb engine. At the time this photo was taken Holman-Moody owned the car. They were not racing the car. It was being used as a test car for the 427 and a new transmission. This transmission is not a Hewland or a T-44. This picture of AM 1 has a Wiseman transmission in it.

Last edited:
Back