An interesting spin on taxation...

Cliff,
You guys kill me when you come up with this idea that the wealthy don't spend enough. How much is enough? Who gets tp decide what is enough. YOU???
For the wealthy that earned their wealth, studies show that they got that way by not spending frivolously and SAVED their money. There is no rule you have to spend all your money. You have obviously not read the book or I think you wouldn't said those things.
Three things that you would see if you read the book.

First, you get your ENTIRE paycheck.You get to spend it on the things you want. If you choose to spend it all and save nothing that is your CHOICE. If you choose to spend little and save a lot, again your choice. The wealthy do spend more than the "less wealthy". In order to support the life style it cost more, unless you are a wealthy person living in a double wide. And don't spout that crap about proportionate spending. That is a classic class warfare argument. If the rich spent a proportionate amount where would they put it all???? There are some things in life more important than consumption!!! Maybe saving,,,,investing,,,, starting a new business????
Second, The price that they have pegged as revenue neutral is 23%. With this, all the built in taxes are done away with, and the price is the same after institution as before. They have done the research and have the figures to back it up. Given the debt that has been added it may be a % higher. Don't know.
Third, The poor get a check each month equal to the amount they spend on the basic goods and services up to the poverty level which I think is 40K now. Could be wrong on that number. The wealthy don't get a check. So that defeats any argument of the poor paying higher amounts. They are getting their full paycheck AND a prebate.
All this nonsense of rich vs poor has got to stop. It is ludicrous. ?The people who have money spend more than the poor, PERIOD. If you are poor and don't like it, get training, education, experience, or a second job. Most of the poor are by way of choice. They made bad decisions and are that way as a result. Most can correct those decisions by working hard and earning their turnaround. Yes there are some that are victims of circumstance, but even those can pull themselves up if they work hard at it. Those that are disabled or are true victims are excluded from this diatribe. I also think that the "poor" in the U S are way ahead of those same class people in other countrys. You see a lot(not all) with cell phones and nice cars, expensive clothes, and still using food stamps.

Enough already. Really Cliff I am not trying to beatup on you just the ideas that people have that keep this stuff on class warfare going thinking it helps. It just hurts. It was the arguments the communist(Carl Marx) used to institute the graduated income tax. I encourage you to read the book. It is only 224 pages long, an easy read. Then there is the second book to answer all the critics or arguments raised by the first book. Fair Tax The Truth. it is 224 pages. Then lets hear the arguments, or better still call in to the Neal Boortz talk show on WSB AM 1 (877) 310-2100 (404) 872-0750 in the Atlanta area and ask the questions, or go to his web site for links and info:
Boortz on boortz.com

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry, I'm not following you. My point simply was that the ultra wealthy generally spend much less than they earn - that's one of the primarly ways they got wealthy in the first place. Because they tend to spend much less than their incomes, a national tax based upon sales tax rather than income would actually reduce the (already very low) effective tax rates of most of the ultra wealthy. Again, the ultra wealthy tend to have lower effective tax rates than middle income earners (despite a progressive rate scheme in the US) due to sophisticated tax planning. I spent some time many years ago doing tax planning for the ultra wealthy, and that's what my perspective is based upon.

I don't believe I made any comment on how much spending is enough or who needs to spend more/less, etc. That's a matter of personal choice and I have no opinion there.

Back