And so it begins...the AP build.

chassis1.jpg
chassis2.jpg
chassis3.jpg
chassis4.jpg

Well, I've been lurking on here for about 2 years now. I had put the idea of doing a GT40 build aside after I got on a waiting list for a C8 Corvette on December 23rd of 2021. I started to reconsider late last summer. I felt that I would get more enjoyment from building a car, rather than just buying one and watching it sit in the garage most of the time....and it would just be another C8 vette after a while. I had already touched base with Chris, and decided to but a deposit down on a build last September. Things have been steadily moving along on his end and I'm in no hurry, as I have a 66 fastback Mustang build that is moving along and will be in paint next winter, after I get bodywork done this summer and get the mechanical bugs straightened out.

The car will be tracked as well as street driven. After much consideration, I decided to go with an A-pillar bar and roll bar. I know what the arguments are out there against it, but I feel it is the best compromise. I'm 5'7" tall and will be sitting low in the seat, and always strap in. My 69 Firebird has a similar set up with an a-pillar bar and hoop. Even with a helmet on, my head is a long ways from any bars.

Mean while, back at my place, the first parts arrived...wheels. I'm not sure how much time I spent on the phone with ET (and some help from Buttinz), but is was substantial! I had the wheels shipped to me for paint. They will be shipped to Chris at the end of the week.
wheelwsh.JPG
wheelprep.JPG
wheelwdth.JPG
wheelprep.JPG
wheelpr1.JPG
wheelgr.JPG

I hit the wheel lips with a red Scotch Brite pad during cleaning and liked the way it looked. Black SPI primer was used under a dark gray single stage paint. You can see how much darker the new gray is compared to the finish on the lug cover. I'll be unmasking tonight.
I'm pretty sure I got the last set of Toyo R888r 18x335 in the country from Discount Tire! I had them shipped directly to Chris.

I just ordered these last night, ill let you know how are once i receive but deff looks to be quality upgrade.

Wheels are mounted and the car should be on the ground in a couple of days. I’m not sure if I’ll keep the satin wheel lips or even the shade of gray…depends on how the car looks.
We’ll be finalizing the build and arranging shipping this week!
2F3EB9FF-F972-4CAB-B4F9-F0124F6ABC5E.jpeg

Chris is finishing things up today and the transporter will be picking up tomorrow for a Sunday delivery. It will be interesting to see how its size compares to the other cars in the garage. I haven't seen a Mk1/2 GT40 since I was at the Miller Motorsports Museum while at Track Attack for my Boss 302. If I remember right, the Ken Miles LeMans car was there!

Following. I may be in your footsteps as I also have a 65-66 fastback...and am wanting to build one of these machines. I really need to get with Chris

I haven't had the time to unpack it yet. As far as I can tell so far, his project isn't for the faint of heart. I've done 2 frame-off restomods so far on my own (from metal work to final body work). This thing is in better shape than what I'm used to!

Gotcha, I am looking into different companies and their kits but seem to be leaning toward the SPF due to it being already assembled other then drivetrain. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise or time to do a full build.

Gotcha, I am looking into different companies and their kits but seem to be leaning toward the SPF due to it being already assembled other then drivetrain. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise or time to do a full build.
Chris at AP does all stages from basic roller to turn key.

Back