Another CAV on eBay

i guess that for you owners of cav gt40,it is important that the car sells for a high price as not to set a precedent of low value cars being offered for sale,that will kind-of break the market/value....a 400 miles car is like new,it needs to do the low 60's for it to be in the prices....lets wish it goes there!! thanks for all the info..

Ron Earp

Admin
It seems like a reasonable car and if the reserve is under $50k then it is the least expensive CAV space fram I've seen. It is just that with details you could get $X dollars, without details you'll get less than X. For example, you may or may not be aware that he Getrag tranny you are referring to is a Audi 5 speed from 1984-1987 Audi 5000s cars here in the states. About $175 in any junkyard. Without knowing if it was rebuilt, limited slip, etc. people will assume the worst and the same is true for the motor. These cars are all about attention to detail and if you had some more specifics I think you'd be in a much better position. As you are aware speciality cars are a fickle market, speciality replica cars are even more fickle I think.

R

the tires are all dunlop street tires.no slicks,maybe the effect of the picture.... never tracked or raced.

we know for a fact that all the mechanicals that went into the car were done new..... all internal parts are new...

*****no more reserve on the car***** over 100 emails since the auction started.everyone want to know what the reserve is???? no one is patient anymore...where is this world going?? anyhow,i am very confident that is will hit the 50k mark as it is already at 46000$ and lots of emails and interetsed people that will bid at the last 30 seconds.... what a story,these cars are truly wanted and respected.

Steve

I've asked sellers for their reserve on occasion to see
if they were really serious or just trolling for a fish.
Obviously you are serious and I'm sure most of us on the Forum believe this CAV is worth $ 50k. Question is how
much will it bring in today's market? I guess we'll
soon find out!
Regards

MikeD

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think I can shed some light on the problem. Many, not all but many, of the people on this forum that are owners of these cars have built them themselves. What this means is we, the self builders, don't think it terms of LABOR cost because its a hobbie. We are mainly talking about what it would take to buy all the cool parts and put a car together with them. The TOP of the line car I can come up with would be 70-80K or so and believe me this would be a real MOTHER of all 40's.

On the other hand, if I was to get a race car builder to put this dream car together along with all the time it takes to sort it out could add at least another 10-20K or more.

I hope this helps some people who have not built one of these cars better understand that they are NOT A KIT, Tab a into slot b type of thing. It took me at least 2 months to do my AC system alone. Something like 60-70 hours total. Just for the AC system. Hell at $50 hour we are talking more than $3000. Good luck getting someone, who you would want, to work on your car in California for that cheep.

If you think I nutts start adding up the hours you spend fabing, welding, cutting, and thinking out in the garage.

Those of us who have built them know what they cost, believe me. My wife doesn't call me the Cheep Italian for nothing.

You have to decide if you want to value your labor or not and charge someone else for your hobbie.... or not.

Those of you who want to sell a car here are dealing with people, some of us anyway, who are into building them not selling them. Sorry....

I IMAGINE THE 1ST OWNER BOUGHT IT WHEN NO USA DEALER WAS SET UP AND PAID WHAT I LISTED.SO MY LISTING IS STILL A TRUE FACT.ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT THEM IN UK POUNDS PAID OVER 100000$ FOR THEM..

Jesus,
23 more hours of this crap just to see the car sell for 50,000 large hips and all

CAV GT40 OPTIONS PRICE LIST Customer Price List in £GBP(Subject to VAT @ 17.5%)
Roll cage 1,633.20
Brass eyes 38.40
Dry sump mod
Gurney bubble mod 684.00
Oval holed rear vents 114.00
Naca ducts 45.60
Nostril parcel ducts 114.00
Powder coated fuel caps 64.80
Periscope air vent 379.20
Alternative Rims 360.00
Rose jointed suspension 2,886.00
Sun visor 228.00
Wool carpeting 379.20
Gulf colours 1,708.80
Clear coat 75.60
Race numbering door 570.00
Race numbering nostril 570.00
Race numbering rear 570.00
Paint stripe (per stripe each side) 189.60
Paint stripe 1st 949.20
Non-standard colour 816.00
351 Small-block – 5.8 litre turn key 7,800.00
302 - 320 ps 5.1 litre turn key 7,200.00
ZF 6 speed lim slip diff 7,215.60
Audi Getrag 2,658.00
Wider rear section 1,366.80

New Cars

Complete £58,000.00 plus VAT @ 17.5% - £68,150.00

Rolling Chassis (Complete car less engine and gearbox)

£46,000.00 plus VAT @ 17.5% - £54,050.00

Cars currently in the UK for sale

3 Cars complete £53,000.00 plus VAT @ 17.5% - £62,275.00

2 Rolling Chassis £42,000.00 plus VAT @ 17.5% - £49,350.00

Ron Earp

Admin
Yes, Steve, we know that.

But, did you know that CAV cars were not availalbe in the UK until about 3 weeks ago?

Tis true, check the announcements section. So, these prices are not valid for sure since you said the car was bought sometime in 2000. Furthermore, the prices you list are for a new production mono car, not space frame chassis. CAV does not make the space frame car any longer.

You may not know that the CAV space frame and the out of production GTD were the same car. It could be you have a GTD that was imported from the UK. These cars went out of production sometime around 1999. So, if someone did import as a GTD back then they might want to call it a CAV now for recognition since CAV is in current production and the cars were the same for a very short period of time. Biggest difference were that GTD were sold as kits and CAVs never were in this country.

As you are undoubtedly aware, the CAV cars are produced in South Africa and shipped worldwide. Prices differ around the globe and, as I mentioned, the CAV just because available in the UK just days ago.

there is a cav tag on the car.the car is a cav for sure,it was bought late 2000.now the specifics,i have no idea.i was told space frame.hopefully it is. i wonder if it has the large hips though?

Ron Earp

Admin
I give up, the auction will tell what the market it willing to pay. No, the car does not appear to have Gulf Flares (wide hips). If you are gonna sell you'll do better with proper descrpitions. Take care.

Ron

Back