Apollo Landings 40 Years Ago, Was it a Hoax?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I understand that anyone who was within 50 miles of a Saturn 5 lift off has no question if we went to the moon.

The tv show Myth Busters did a fine job of disproving many of the conspiracy theories.

Keith

Re: 40 Years Ago Was it a Hoax?

Would Walter Cronkite lie? :)

You ask him! Might be a bit difficult today though.....

Another icon bights the dust...:sad:

What I want to know about the moon landings is this: How much cheese were they able to bring back with them? I've been looking for some for a long time now but I guess it's a rare bit. :blank:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Re: 40 Years Ago Was it a Hoax?

Putting it into perspective this was happening the same time that GT40s were winning at endurance racing The GT40 was considered high tech and advanced at that time - yes different budget perspective but could the whole Moon thing take place?

Ian

True, but if you've every had the joy of close inspection of the craft, quality, and technology in the build of everything that went into that project, you'd stand in awe and ask yourself (I'm being serious here), "where the hell did we (America) lose our way from Apollo/SR71's way of 'do the right thing, the right way, for the right reason' mentality, to a point (low point in my opinion) of 'appearances and impressions for today are all that matter' mentality.

It's so depressing to see where we've come from and then compare that to where we're going. Entropy of world economy is unfolding big-time.

Sorry for what turned into a pseudo-rant

ox

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Apollo 17 was in 1972 and there were no further moon trips until Elvis in 1977 and then Diana some twenty years later riding Shergar.
If it was a hoax, I spent hours and hours glued to a television watching something akin to the muppets singing about the merry merry month of may.
As an aside, why was it that every one ( in the movies at least) who worked in mission control was follically challenged and looked like geeks?
I vote that it was for real.
Now, one more caiperinha then it's time to hit the sack.

These hoax theorists crack me up. I mean, give me a break. If the whole thing was an elaborate "trick", given today's market for profitable "tell-all" books, don't you think someone would have come forward with hard evidence to blow the whistle and make a few quick million? Good grief. I had a neighbor who was into the moon conspiracy thing. When I asked him why it was that none of the participants had come forward to cash in by ratting out the scheme, he (honest to God) looked side to side as if to share a profound secret, and said, "They killed them all". These are the same people who cannot understand the concept of progressive structural collapse, and choose to believe that burning jet fuel alone could not have caused the collapse of the Twin Towers on 911. I want to believe it's just ignorance, but I'm afraid it's more a case of stupidity.

My Dad worked for NASA at Cape Canaveral. As a kid I would go outside, along with most the neighbors and watch as early attempts to get a rocket into space would explode or be self destructed, it always made for quite a fireworks display. We lived 30 miles away and the rumble from the later Apollo missions could be felt and heard a short while after watching the fire ball in the sky.

Wouldn't the Soviets have to be part of the cover-up? If they could have produced data, real or fake, implying we faked the landing even if we didn't, wouldn't they have done that to humiliate the U. S.? If we had faked the landing, they would have been all over it. Plus we had multiple missions to the moon. It's funny that America can produce the men and women to get us to the moon AND the men and women who think it was an elaborate hoax.

I'd like to believe I have a tiny piece of history that actually went to the moon.

2009-05-28001001.jpg

Post #5 at this link discusses the safety line if you have an interest.

Apollo 14 flown safety line presentation - collectSPACE: Messages

Ian & Flatchat - you will be happy to learn that your doubts are shared by that great thinker, scientist and liberal mind Whoopi Goldberg.
Nice company indeed, you should be proud.

Believing in the hoax theory is just another example of how modern society tries to bring down true human achievement and excellence so that petty, small losers can feel good about themselves.

"Don't worry Bobby - nobody can pass these tests and exams. Don't feel bad that you failed at everything you do. Those astronauts they are not real - it is all just a hoax. Only rainbows, unicorns and Obama are real"

There are two U-Tube videos of that punch, the other is 4 secs long & shows the same women in yellow moving from the other side of Aldrin which would suggest 'two' takes of the incident or someone 'flipped' the film negatives. Cant believe nothing you see, hear, or read these days unless it was you doing it and none of us were up 'there' that I am aware of.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
My wife made an interesting observation. NASA never seemed to be an equal opportunities employer at the time of the Apollo program. This may explain Whoopi Goldbergs silly ideas.

Keith

There are two U-Tube videos of that punch, the other is 4 secs long & shows the same women in yellow moving from the other side of Aldrin which would suggest 'two' takes of the incident or someone 'flipped' the film negatives. Cant believe nothing you see, hear, or read these days unless it was you doing it and none of us were up 'there' that I am aware of.

Are you saying that punch is a hoax Jac? :laugh:

Are you saying that punch is a hoax Jac? :laugh:

No Keith, just that the filming of that video clip might have been contrived if it actually did take a couple of times to get it right, but if its a simple case of flipped negatives, who knows. One thing for sure though, given the tone of the conversation, & again if it was for real, then Im sure Buzz Aldrin would have enjoyed the second opportunity to fine tune his 'reply'!:)

I consider the moon landings one of mankind's greatest achievements. And I offer one more counter argument to the people in any doubt. If the Apollo program is put in its correct political context as part of the cold war, as it should be.
What do you think the Russians response would be to any doubt that NASA put men on the moon? The fact the Russians know that the landings took place speaks volumes in my opinion. I think they would have been the first to shout if there had been any doubt, as this one event more or less destroyed the Soviet space program.

Ron Earp

Admin
No Keith, just that the filming of that video clip might have been contrived if it actually did take a couple of times to get it right, but if its a simple case of flipped negatives, who knows. One thing for sure though, given the tone of the conversation, & again if it was for real, then Im sure Buzz Aldrin would have enjoyed the second opportunity to fine tune his 'reply'!:)

It is the same film clip, one flipped. They were uploaded at different resolutions though. One is low-res and choppy with a lower frame rate and slightly less screen size uploaded. Probably captured from a secondary analog source. It makes it hard to get the exact frame match up just right with both because the low-res one is missing quite a bit with respect to frames. But you can get it close and you can see that one has been flipped. Now, can you figure out which one is correct?

Attachments

• buzz.jpg
    buzz.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 208
I can't get good enough resolution to tell, but the guy holding the boom mike has a polo shirt on. Which way does the shirt button? That should give you a clue.
Garry

Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Those who believe in conspiracy theories are not going to be convinced regardless, as their certainty that CO2 has caused our climate to change, so why bother to try? If they beileve it's all fake, great. So what? Who cares???

Keith

Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Those who believe in conspiracy theories are not going to be convinced regardless, as their certainty that CO2 has caused our climate to change, so why bother to try? If they beileve it's all fake, great. So what? Who cares???

That's a very interesting point Mike.. Why challenge this achievement in the first place? Shall we turn it around and ask:

What was to be gained by such a hoax? Please don't reply that it was to impress the Russians - that doesn't wash.

I have knowledge of this era and I am qualified to ask this question even though I am "Johnny Foreigner". I was at Redstone Arsenal for 6 years - which is quite close to the Marshall Space Centre. Think 'Cruise'...:)

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Rather than try to plan such an elaborate hoax wouldn't it be easier to just bulid a rocket and fly to the Moon?

Andy

Back