Are you building a 28oz or 50oz imbalance 302?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
If you are or are about to start building a 302/5.0L engine and are planning to use 28oz or 50 oz imbalance rotating parts, do yourself a favor and send ma a PM or email. I have discovered a situation that you can leverage to obtain some very high quality parts at extremely low prices.

Unfortunately, since I am building an internally balanced engine, I can't use this. Although, God knows I tried to find a way, but it would cost me far more money than I would save to avail my self of this opportunity. I'd be happy to share it with you though; if you're building a motor that will be run below normal Ford V8 redline and will operate quite happily with a stock imbalanced crankshaft. (This is of course compensated for with the flywheel and harmonic balancer.)

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The comment above about the engine running at or below the normal Ford redline is probably not acurate. On second thought, I am sure that an engine built with an internal imbalance of 28 or 50 ounces can safely exceed the ~6500rpm redline normally associated with SBFs. So, the limiting factor really is that the engine must be one of the two standard imbalances to save money. The ~$500 cost associated with making an engine internally balanced would negate any savings. With the cost of mallory factored in doesn't make this a bad deal, but it is no longer the exceptionally good deal I was alluding to.

For me, I have already made to many purchases of parts, like the flywheel and harmonic balancer, designed for use with an internally balanced engine to go back to an externally balanced engine.

Lynn

Back