Audi V8's

hello all,

I'm new to this forum (actually this is my first post), and I have a few questions about Engine/transaxle options.

I know the G50 is a popular transaxle and can be matched up with a lot of engines (Im thinking of going the LS route, or maybe the BMW V12....) but what I really want to do is slap an Audi 4.2 V8 on it, or a different transaxle that is close to the dimensions of the G50. Does anyone know if an Audi V8 can be mounted to a G50 at all?

Any and all info. would be awesome.

Mike

HI Mike

Welcome to Gt40´s.

You probably could match a Audi V8 to a G50 ( if you use the search function, i´m sure there are threads on it) but why you want to do that.
I drive an 4,2 V8 as company car and although the engine is not lazy, it gives me no thrill at all. IT runs like a sewing machine no character no nothing. It´s boring.

Beeing at the source of engines with good money for power for weight ratio ( LS 7) i would never strive for anything else. THe Audi is bigger heavier and less powerfull and probably expensive to increase the power.

Just my 5c

TOM

I was kind of thinking it would be unique if it had an audi in it, but I hear what you're saying. I've been researching audi engines a little more and decided that the only audi engines I would use now are the V10, or the TDI V12, and im not really sure either of them would fit in the space I'd be putting them in.

Another thing I was thinking of doing was twin turbo charging an LS6. that would give me plenty of power, and the LS6 would cost me less than the LS7 to get a hold of.

What do you think about turbos?

oh yeah... im shooting for the total weight of the car to be under 2400 lbs

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

One of our good friends down-under has gone the turbocharging route and, even by 40 standards, it's pretty impressive. Have a look at one of Bobski's threads (click HERE) as well as some of his others. I'm sure there's a number of good answers to questions you might have at this stage.

Good luck - and welcome to the forum.

T.

I was kind of thinking it would be unique if it had an audi in it, but I hear what you're saying. I've been researching audi engines a little more and decided that the only audi engines I would use now are the V10, or the TDI V12, and im not really sure either of them would fit in the space I'd be putting them in.

The only advantage with the Audi V8 is that many of the earlier models will bolt to the popular 01E transmissions as well as many other flavors of Audi gearboxes (01X/0A2/016/01A).

For the price of 5 V8 engines you can buy a V10 and the V12 TDI is nearly impossible to come by even in Europe (I did find one for $25,000 usd in belgium).

If you want alot of power get an Audi 32 or 40V V8 put a turbo or two on it tune it to 600 hp and then mate it to an built 01E.

Keith

I would check whether there are ANY rebuild parts for an Audi V8 motor (sorry, Power Pack) available first..

I would check whether there are ANY rebuild parts for an Audi V8 motor (sorry, Power Pack) available first..

Rebuild parts are not a problem. We've rebuilt a few Audi V8's with great success and are working on a high horsepower single turbo engine at the moment.

Keith

My information is that the future plan is to manufacture a "disposable" motor which will be unserviceable. Are these Audi or after market parts you use?

I have driven the McClaren F1 being built in Poland and can confirm that the Audi V8 engine is a peach. It has loads of torque and would be a great alternative to the Ford/Chevy fitments which are the most common. The Audi range of engines use one main bolt pattern for most of its engines/transmissions which gives a great range to choose from.
Regarding twin turbo fitting on a Chevy, although a lot of power would be available and great fun could/would be had, GT40s become more of a handful above about 500/550bhp as I found out last year at VIR driving Dennis Olthoff,s Superformance. Whatever you decide on have fun.

Regards Martin

My information is that the future plan is to manufacture a "disposable" motor which will be unserviceable. Are these Audi or after market parts you use?

You cannot walk into a US Audi dealership and order them as they don't stock the European part numbers, but we buy our parts directly from VW/Audi in Wolfsburg so it's not an issue for us.

The main bearings are availble as are rod bearings, gaskets, rods and rings. For our builds we typically use upgraded custom rods and pistons and OE bearings. Crankshafts, and bare blocks are not available as spare parts however, those engines are fairly inexpensive from salvage companies.

I speak of the 32V and 40V engines with cam belts. We have not got our hands into a chain drive V8 as of yet but a glance at the European parts listing yields part numbers which we can order.

I have driven the McClaren F1 being built in Poland and can confirm that the Audi V8 engine is a peach.

Is this the car you speak of?

http://jalopnik.com/5223269/polish-man-building-mclaren-f1-super-car-in-garage

Last edited:
The main bearings are availble as are rod bearings, gaskets, rods and rings. For our builds we typically use upgraded custom rods and pistons and OE bearings. Crankshafts, and bare blocks are not available as spare parts however, those engines are fairly inexpensive from salvage companies.

Hi, I'm new in this forum, I hope you can help me, I work in a mid engine conversion (no GT40 replica) with Audi V8 ABZ engine, And I go to turbocharge the engine, I all ready have a custom rods, piston, rod bearing, but when I go to the dealership to order main bearing the say that are diferent color code for the bearing (yellow, red, blue), but they can't tell me if this color code are for over size bearing or are for specific production engines.

After a search on the web only find this:

"there is a color coded paint dot/splash
visible near or around the oil pan that will tell which bearings you
will need. I think there are 3 different colors: yellow,blue, Red"

But I can't find anything.

Do you know hoe to know wich bearing are the correct?

Thanks
Hugo Zubieta.

Mike,

Have you decided on the engine yet???

I have been speaking with a firm that has the BMW to Porsche adapter kit and is working on BMW to Audi

Back