Aviaid Oil Pan

While I wait for my Cobra to sell so I can put my money down on a GT40 kit, I am accumulating various parts for my engine. I found a company just down the street from where I work called Aviaid. They make an oil pan that they market as an “original style GT40” with front pickup and 8 qt capacity. Has anyone used this?

I would like to keep everything as original looking as I can, and this oil pan would be a great addition.

Thanks
Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

I had one on my car. Not cheap. The pan itself cost something like $700, and the necessary modifications to the cross-member on the CAV to provide clearance cost...a bunch more. I kind of freaked out when I saw the bill because I had asked the shop to determine whether an Aviaid pan would fit, and they interpreted it to mean "make it fit."

Armando's makes a substantially similar pan for about $400. I haven't actually seen one of these, though I know that therre are others around here who have bought them. Probably the only way that most people would be able to tell the difference is that it won't have the Aviaid sticker on it...

Bill, if you are planning on an RF, the Aviad GT40 pan won't fit. I had an Aviaid GT40 pan on the 347 SBF that came with my kit, and the sump was too long and will interfere with a chassis cross member in the engine bay. I sold it and bought an Armando's pan for a GT350, wich has a shorter sump.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks guys. That's what makes this forum so great - the help and experience of those who have gone before us "newbies".

Bill D

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
You may want to do a search on Club Cobra - as I recall there is quite a bit of information on this subject.

I have had nothing but excellent service from John at Aviaid....consistently.

I have an Armondo pan on my car, the modification on the motor mount was pretty simple, I cut the center section out of the mount and welded some small extensions on the mount that set the center back about 2 inches. The dip stick goes in the front of the pan and I found a very cool dipstick from (of all things) a Kia Sephia! works great and looks good too.

Anyone know the part # for the best fitting pan from Armando to use in a RF looks like there are a few choices that would work. thanks in advance Bob

Bob,
I should know that number as we put Armondos pan on John's RF GT. Either send John an e mail or ask Armondo to look up which one we ordered. The pan he makes is a beauty and fit very well.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gents,

Armando's GT40 oil pan comes complete with the pickup and dipstick tube.

I beleive Armando's pan is considerably cheaper than the Aviad item.

Hope this helps!

cheers!

Can someone post or PM me some pics of the mods required to fit a GT replica pan from Armando Part#407 ? Can you use a crank scraper/windage tray with this pan? I assume this is a gated/baffled pan.

What is the ground clearance like with the other recomended pan#405 ?

Back