Avon CR6ZZ vs Michelin TB5 F&R??

I was all set to put my order in for a set of Avon CR6zz (295/50-15 rear & 215/60-15 front), to improve on my current Dunlop racing M section crossplys (6.50m15 rear 5.50m15 front).

However while at the Retro Motorsport show on Saturday I saw some Michelin TB5 F&R semi slick road legal tyres (295/40-15 rear & 215/55-15 front) and thought that they might be even better - anyone had any experiance or thoughts on these yet?

I know that this will reduce my ground clearance by another 30mm or so, however, while my car is road registered and MOT'd, currently I dont really have any plans to use it on the road!

Am I being a silly billy and this is just too low?

Many thanks
Julian

Julian,

What are you going to do with the car. The Michelins have been around for a while now and are good, BUT, they are likely to wear very quickly and only have so many heat cycles in them.

In pre season testing at Snetterton last week i bedded in some new Avon CR6s and could wish them further. Might be alright for the wet and the hilclimbs but for circuit racing the sooner i put on Dunlop Post Historic CR82 the better.

If you are just roading the car be careful putting race tyres on. They need to be hot to work well and they are more vunerable to even mild abuse.

Graham.

Julian, hold on till you bring the car to the workshop next week, dont waste your money until you have fully considered the options available, and certainly look elsewhere than the Dunlops !

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Frank,
I was watching the video this afternoon and was impressed at the way the cars you prepare seem to handle. I'm about to look at 'set up' as my car is being re-constructed with quite a lot of changes so if it's not a secret, do you have any 'rough' set-up data, on what springs (I'm about to get a new set of Eibach?) what ride heights and last but not least what rubber. I'm thinking of going to the Avons but I still have an open mind.
Your suggestions appreciated.
Dave M
PS I may need a set of your seat belts as well as my sabelt shoulder straps are the narrow size.

Dave, All this info can be freely given to you privately, these are not secrets, just the result of a huge amount of experience gained by hard work and not being afraid to be unconventional

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Frank,
I'll talk with Hugh as well and email you if he needs any other data as well.
Much Appreciated,
Dave M

Back