Backpack helicopter

Re: solving peak hour

I wanted to get my, and still want to get my rotary wing license. There's LOTS of money flying helicopters in the private sector. Training will set you back $45,000 - $60,000 though. Think I'll have to wait a bit for that...

That price seems unusually high. I think a PPL-H would run you less than $20k...

Ron Earp

Admin

I wanted to get my, and still want to get my rotary wing license. There's LOTS of money flying helicopters in the private sector. Training will set you back $45,000 - $60,000 though. Think I'll have to wait a bit for that...

Take it a step at a time. Join a flying club, learn to fly first. Focus grasshopper.

That price seems unusually high. I think a PPL-H would run you less than $20k...

Wouldn't you need a CPL at least to to be able to make money at it? Here in the UK, rotary wing training is some 2 to 3 times the cost of fixed wing training.

Respect to all those who fly and have flown helicopters in battlefield conditions (and also those servicing the North Sea oil rigs in constant bad weather and high winds). There is the old saying that there is no such thing as a minor mechanical problem in a helicopter.

Chris

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

There is the old saying that there is no such thing as a minor mechanical problem in a helicopter.

Chris

10,000 parts flying in close formation.

Or the movie where after the hero crash lands a copter he tells the lady with him "From the day these leave the factory, they are trying to kill you!"

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Nope... Won't ever get in another helicopter again... Not me...

Or back in the 60's when AJ Foyt "found" the wall at 170 MPH plus at Indy during practice, he was taken to the infield medical center for review. They rolled him out of there and towards a waiting helicopter. He asked "why?" and was told he must be airlifted to the hospital for observation. Foyt got up off the gurney (the rolling type, not Dan!) and stated "Phuck, NO! You can get KILLED in one of them things!!!"

Ron Earp

Admin

10,000 parts flying in close formation.

Or the movie where after the hero crash lands a copter he tells the lady with him "From the day these leave the factory, they are trying to kill you!"

Good ones, both of 'em and express my feelings exactly.

Much respect to the rotary pilots though. I'll stick with my old POS and 1920s/1930s engine technology :rolleyes:.

What a bunch of girly men you guy's are!

We routinely take one of these COMPLETELY apart, inspect it, put it back together, track and balance it and get in and fly baby!

YouTube - Sikorsky S76 C+ Complete Walkaround

I've wrenched BO 105's, A109's, A Stars and S76 C+'s for 27 years now and don't have a scratch on me.

They are the ultimate limo!

Last edited:
I'm more of an Autogyro guy - I built and used to fly a Benson Gyrocopter...

Attachments

• Bensen-B-8M-Gyro-Copter_P1.jpg
    Bensen-B-8M-Gyro-Copter_P1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 229

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Auto gyro - even worse.
Two people I knew. Pee Wee Judge and Giles Kershaw. Knew.....
Peewee bought it very publicly at the Farnborough Air Show and Giles did it in Antartica.
Both good and experienced pilots. Crazy idea.

What a strange phrase - "bought it"

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Small world David. I used Giles's wife Anne as a guest lecturer on some of my Antarctic courses a few years back...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I installed cameras and a recorder in a B2 (Korean war type like in Mash) back in the late 70s for a crazy guy who was flying over fires in Norcal and recording them and taking back to forestry head quarters for review. After I got the system installed he asked if i would go for a ride to show him how the system worked and to check it all out. What a mistake, he decided to show me how auto-rotation works, I just about ---- myself. The only other time I flew in a million nuts and bolts in close formation was off the USS Forestall in a Chinook, much better ride.

Ron Earp

Admin
What a strange phrase - "bought it"

I thought that came from the more complete "bought the farm".

For what it is worth, according to the phrase dictionary:

Bought the farm
There are a few suggested derivations for the phrase. One, put forward in a 1955 edition of American Speech, is the idea that when a jet crashes on a farm the farmer may sue the government for compensation. That would generate a large enough amount of money to pay off the farm's mortgage. Hence, the pilot paid for the farm with his life.

I dunno fellows. I've always called things that "should not be" contraptions. Helicopters seem to prevail against nature's adversity to them flying, but they're still contraptions.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Brian - last time I saw Ann was in Crew Customs at Gatwick. I think she was a skipper on the Virgin 400's. I recall the day Giles came home to High Wycombe with his latest purchase - a Lotus 7 which, it seemed, only he could fit in. Ann was rather statuesqe and made Giles look very short. I think she made look him very embarassed that day as well.( I heard that Giles Mother tried to return to the Antartic to see where Giles is buried. Apparently they buried him at the spot where he crashed). He really was an incredible character especially when flying in the DHC6 - the favourite of all of us who flew it. Giles used to slow roll them, a trick I first saw him do at Leavesden.
gileswing1.jpg

Giles Kershaw

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I dunno fellows. I've always called things that "should not be" contraptions. Helicopters seem to prevail against nature's adversity to them flying, but they're still contraptions.

I've often heard it said;

Helicopters don't fly - they beat the air into submission!

((and))

Helicopters don't fly - they're just so ugly, the Earth repels them!

----

Of course I know they CAN fly - but if I'm conscious, I'll never get on another... I threatened to walk home in 1971 but caught a ride in a truck, then off in a Herky-bird...

Charlie M

Supporter
The first time I flew was in a helicopter. Back during better times the company I work for had a helicopter that ferried people, mail, parts, etc between three local plants (and chauffered executives back and forth to the Boston airport). I thought it was a pretty cool ride, although the landing pad hanging off the top of the building looked damn small on the approach.

However, about a year and a half before I joined the company, we lost the pilot, two executives, and a researcher in a helicopter crash. Apparently, a small plane came down on top of the helicopter and took out the main rotor. The plane was able to make an emergency landing a couple miles away and both occupants survived but the helicopter dropped like a rock killing all four on board.

I've heard one engineer call a helicopter a "flying fatigue tester", it provides both transportation and a study of the limits of material strength.

Charlie

Last edited:
I thought that came from the more complete "bought the farm".

For what it is worth, according to the phrase dictionary:

Bought the farm
There are a few suggested derivations for the phrase. One, put forward in a 1955 edition of American Speech, is the idea that when a jet crashes on a farm the farmer may sue the government for compensation. That would generate a large enough amount of money to pay off the farm's mortgage. Hence, the pilot paid for the farm with his life.

It's a bit older than that, I'm sure I've seen a reference to the phrase among anecdotes from the Boer War and certainly WW1. It even made Blackadder....

As for helicopters, I had a neighbour who flies them, has great confidence in them and is now an instructor.

We've discussed this topic from time to time and remain firmly in our camps. I'd rather fly fixed wing and he'd rather fly rotary.

The conditions in general are quite different though, as Dave has pointed out. I find plane pilots tend to have champagne tastes, while helicopter people are happy with whatever plonk they can find.

Don't want to burst your bubble Brian, but I'm told it's every bit as difficult to go through the ranks in the helicopter world as it is in planes, but feel free to go for it!

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
the much maligned helicopter was no better sight to guys on the ground and the distinctive sound of the UH-1 teeter-totter rotor system was music to their ears as they were about to be extracted from hell. Dont knock em nothing else could have done the job in lessening the casualty count.

With all due respect to Scott( a fine gentleman,car builder and aircraft man ) and Freewheel's neighbor, it's when these machines aren't able to receive the necessary maintenance or are subject to extreme atmospheric conditions such as intense rain,sand,microfine clay dust (like talcum powder) or flying lead that make the difference between rotary and fixed wing. Anybody who has seen one lose the cyclic will agree. Yes, the Huey was a lifeline,literally, for those of us in the field and the little LOH 500 and the Cobra were amazing but I'd rather take my chances in a C-7 with one engine on fire and half the rudder blown off.
One thing no one will argue is the brass-balls bravery of the pilots who flew those machines in that era. Many of us owe our lives to them and will always remember them as true heroes.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
the much maligned helicopter was no better sight to guys on the ground and the distinctive sound of the UH-1 teeter-totter rotor system was music to their ears as they were about to be extracted from hell. Dont knock em nothing else could have done the job in lessening the casualty count.

One thing no one will argue is the brass-balls bravery of the pilots who flew those machines in that era. Many of us owe our lives to them and will always remember them as true heroes.

Hear Hear...

I need to clarify what I had said earlier ----

I take absolutely NOTHING from these pilots and crew that put themselves in harm's way numerous times daily to save guys like me..

Insertions - same thing..

My statements were made, basically, as a VERY STRONG indication of my preference in how I will fly... While I was serving - I had no choice.

Back