Barrett Jackson GT 40

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Roy,

You are a honerable man! It is obvious that you have a passion for cars like me and don't give a hoot in regards to people's attitudes. I have several classic Shelbys and various cars and I used to go to car shows. I got so sick of people picking at every little dust mark or if somthing that is not original. Now I just enjoy driving the cars and don't pay any attention to people that ridicule out of jelousey. RIDE ON BROTHER

Best regards
oliver

I believe the Lola Replica will be a close enough copy to the original that the FIA may issue papers which would allow it to race in more events if organizers want to let replica's with FIA papers race.

I'm not sure a MK-V could get FIA papers. (Simply don't know) Lee's MKII's could and Lola's could I'm not sure about other replica's. Others??

Has Bill's J Car gotten papers? How about J12? Does anyone know?

Good Luck With The Sale!

Love your car, Roy. I lusted after the Safir of Richard Stewart when I visited his house in 2001.

I'll also be very interested to hear Alan deCadenet's comments during the auction, as he owned and raced an original GT40 for a time and is generally

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe Alan will inform Brock enough so as not to stick his hoof in his mouth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Keith

Sorry, a Homer moment....

Attachments

• 72008-HS.jpg
    72008-HS.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 234

Pat

Supporter
I think some of the prices they are paying are beyond belief. The fellow with the white tee shirt must have shelled out close to $10M last night. There must be a premium to show off your wallet on television in order to pay million dollars premiums for some of the muscle cars that are available in Hemmings for half what they were paying last night. It seems like they were allowing the crowd to influence their bidding. I suspect (as was mentioned earlier) some of these cars will not hold their value over time. The interesting thing to me was the drop in the value of some of the custom cars that were white hot just a couple of years ago.
What did the LMK go for?

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I can't believe the 1950 GM promo bus went for 4.5 mil. That guy got ripped. The owner only wanted to get $600.000. Unless they know somthing i don't!

Roy,

Congratulations on your sale!

I was kind of disappointed that Alain De Cadenet was not there to give a more accurate representation of what the car really is. Maybe it might have brought more money if the buyer had a chance to talk to Alain before the bidding began. The announcers really had no idea what it was.

We may not see Alain for a while...looks like American
iron is now going to be the vast majority of B-J's future.
With a few exceptions (such as the Gullwings)...European cars were absent.

The unreal prices of musclecars, along with
the possibility of unreal profits...will likely keep it that way for the forseeable future. The baby-boomers
have a LONG way to go before dying off.

FYI...the 917 LMK went for $ 165k.

MikeD

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
For the price that Roy's MkV sold, it brings up an interesting question to me in regards to Safir built cars.

1) Was the auction sale high, low or just about right (I felt low 400 was the mark)?

2) In what little I've gathered, doesn't Safir offer their cars in the $400K usd range?

3) Do you think this sale dictates what future Safirs will sell for?

There is a Safir in So California that the seller has been holding out for much higher, this sale may cause some reconsidering. Perhaps the GT40 buyers are more price aware when purchasing these cars.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Since the Safir was bought by an Internet bidder,
I'd guess they knew exactly what that car was,
and was not a spur of the moment purchase.

A few years ago, FAV cars were selling at B-J for $ 400k.
At that level, the Safirs had no chance to sell for big bucks. Now that FAV cars are approaching $ 1 m (or more),
it's understandable that Safirs will bring $ 400k.
Should it be higher than that? Apparently the market
said no last light....at least for now.

I was surprised to see the beautiful red Cobra 427SC sell
for $ 550k. Considering Shelby Mustangs sold for $ 400k,
I thought the Cobra would go higher.
Musclecars have truly gripped the market.

MikeD

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
for $ 550k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, Cobras seem to be going "soft".

Maybe due to the amount of replicas on the road. The originals are getting tired of the "kit" question as evendent in the license plate - "NOTAKIT" - on the one that crossed the block last night

I thought the number on the MK V would be in the 325K range, as I said originally the free enterprise system can do strange things at a circus! You put testosterone loaded males in front of a camera all the world is watching and they have trouble finishing second or being told there out. I am happy with the number my car brought, not disappointed in the least bit. Would I have been happier with more sure. But as I posted earlier I had a guaranteed buyer at a figure acceptable to me, it brought more than that and the final bid was an internet buyer. Alain DeCadenet was not there, I understand he was not invited back after a few miscues from last year, too bad he added a good perspective to most of the circus. Could I have gotten more for the car, possibly, am I unhappy with what it sold for NO! I think the muscle car madness will reach a saturation point, the customs in my opinion have, what seemed hot were what I call retro rods, the 57 Corvette with late model drive train suspension and interior over 250K! The rare documented 57 air box Corvette with all of the recognized awards that are available only brought 225K.

[ QUOTE ]
Tim
for $ 550k. Considering Shelby Mustangs sold for $ 400k,
I thought the Cobra would go higher.
MikeD

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cobra was not an original SC, but rather a street 427 Cobra tarted up with SC pieces. Originality seems to rule with these kinds of cars these days, and this Cobra was not in original spec for either a street 427 or SC427. The selling price seemed pretty market correct to me for this car. Had it been a dead original street 427 Cobra, perhaps it would have sold for $100K more, but not discounting the possibility of it going for a lot more due to auction hysteria. An original Semicompetition (SC) 427 Cobra with no stories would be well above that, perhaps around the $1M mark IMHO.

Roy

Glad to hear you're happy with the sale.
I don't think Speed/B-J needs Alain anymore since
European cars won't be a major part of B-J for the forseeable future.
Wonder what Brock Yates story was?

I think the mega-dollar customs/retrorods are HIGH risk
while beautifully restored correct musclecars are LOW risk.
I see no chance of musclecars loosing 50% of current value
overnight....but it could EASILY happen to the customs.

Don

Thanks for the info on the Cobra...that explains a lot.

MikeD

Replica Cobra..

There is a 427 Cobra in Australia. It has some small dents. He leaves them in it for the tyre kickers so when they point the ding he can reply "glass doesnt dent"

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the number on the MK V would be in the 325K range, as I said originally the free enterprise system can do strange things at a circus! You put testosterone loaded males in front of a camera all the world is watching and they have trouble finishing second or being told there out. I am happy with the number my car brought, not disappointed in the least bit. Would I have been happier with more sure. But as I posted earlier I had a guaranteed buyer at a figure acceptable to me, it brought more than that and the final bid was an internet buyer. Alain DeCadenet was not there, I understand he was not invited back after a few miscues from last year, too bad he added a good perspective to most of the circus. Could I have gotten more for the car, possibly, am I unhappy with what it sold for NO! I think the muscle car madness will reach a saturation point, the customs in my opinion have, what seemed hot were what I call retro rods, the 57 Corvette with late model drive train suspension and interior over 250K! The rare documented 57 air box Corvette with all of the recognized awards that are available only brought 225K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back