Belhousing for SB289 and ZF transaxle

A friend of me is looking for a Belhousing for an origanl GT40 set up between a SB289 and a ZF original GT40 transaxle.
He also would be interested to have info on flywheel details (dlms etc)

Info welcome.

Tx
Rgds
fred

That is not an original bellhousing, looks like the one I had on my CAV.
No mounting ears and too many bolt holes for the trans. ZF-0 has only 4 bolts holding it to the bellhousing.
Dave

You can also try Safir Spares. Thier Bellhousing is as used on the JW continuation cars (and is slightly different than the original GT40 setup). I've installed their Bellhousing/clutch setup on my ERA. The Bellhousing has the lower locating "ears" and uses a twin disc clutch. Contact Bob Wood at Safir [email protected].

Jim

PS: The Pantera Bellhousing puts the input shaft of the trans above the R&P and thus the motor is too high for installation in a GT40 where the input is below the R&P and the motor thus lower in the chassis.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
PS: The Pantera Bellhousing puts the input shaft of the trans above the R&P and thus the motor is too high for installation in a GT40 where the input is below the R&P and the motor thus lower in the chassis.

Could you help me understand this? As I look at this, the input shaft is directly aligned with the crank centerline...regardless of transaxle used...period. So is this statement about the R&P based on a specific type of transaxle used (or if turned upside down, etc)?

Could you help me understand this? As I look at this, the input shaft is directly aligned with the crank centerline...regardless of transaxle used...period. So is this statement about the R&P based on a specific type of transaxle used (or if turned upside down, etc)?

But the input shaft is NOT aligned with the centerline of the gearbox. In the original application (GT40), the input shaft ran underneath the ring and pinion, and the gear shaft. This allowed the engine to be placed relatively low in the chassis. The De Tomaso Mangusta later followed suit.

For reasons unknown, when the Pantera was designed, the engineers had ZF invert the gearbox, so that the input shaft was above the ring and pinion and gear shaft. This necessarily raised the crank centerline accordingly.

Due to packaging considerations, it's generally not possible to bolt a Pantera engine/gearbox combination into a GT40. That's why a GT40-spec bellhousing is necessary.

Back