Best GT40 slot cars (1:32 scale)

Ok, I know there are a lot of you slot car nuts out there, and I'm obviously one (er, well, it is really my kids track. I know, my wife doesn't buy that either)...

So, the question is, who makes the best looking and best running 1:32 scale GT40 slot cars?

I have a Fly model (in the avatar) that looks great and runs decent too. However, the Scalextric GT40s we have (a Mk I and a Mk II) run much smoother and seem to just keep getting better. Plus they have lights! (Comes in handy when my son and I do the simulated Le Mans race). Just wish Slot-it made a GT40. Any other good GT40 1:32 cars out there?

Mark

Mark,
I have a few Scalextric GT40, including the Lemans 1-2-3 set. My favourite car is the Essex Wire Mk1. It hauls arse.

Attachments

• 65753-scalex013.jpg
    65753-scalex013.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 318

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Well, my Gulf 40 (Scalex) #6 is definately a nice driving car, and is probably the best of our 40's but it is not the fastest car we have :-( All of our GT40 and Ford GTs are scalex, some with aftermarket motors (to match our 10A power supply). I do like the Fly GT40s but they have really gone up in price quite a bit lately. I now may have to go out this weekend to the hobby shop.

Do you guys know if any slot mfg. ever make a 1/32 MKIV?

Regards,

Al (Rug Racer)

Attachments

• 65757-DSCF0473.jpg
    65757-DSCF0473.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 329

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
One more where at least you can see a couple of 40's and a tampo printed dirty 917 T car half Gulf half white (Fly)

Attachments

• 65758-DSCF0474.jpg
    65758-DSCF0474.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 342
I used to race slot cars for a few years.

Fly and Ninco were reckoned to be around the best available at the time, but I notice there are quite a few other makers on the scene now.
They have better tyres, more detailed bodywork, and no magnets when compared to the Scalex cars.
They had scalex only races, and the magnet cars were generally slightly faster, but came off far more often.

I also have a load of SCX cars, but they are a different company now.
The best car I have is an SCX Ferrari GTO, closely followed by a McLaren GTR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bugger, I can see myself buying some more cars now !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is where I used to buy most of my cars (had a standing order !!)
http://www.mre.co.uk/catalogue/search_re...p;x=39&y=14

You will see on this page that they do MK4 cars too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John,

Dang, I've never seen or heard of either Maxi or LM over here. I really like the J car. Now I'll have to see where I can find one (sold out at this vendor).

Thanks!

Al

P.S. I just ordered the J car from http://www.scalemodels.co.uk/ which I've have very good service from in the past.

Wow! Thanks John. I 2nd Al, never seen LM or Maxi in the states. Just ordered a Mk IV. May have to get the J car too...

For GT40's I have only seen Scalextric and Fly. Slot-it makes some of the best running and looking cars for the money, but how many Porsche 956's do I need? Racer also makes some amazing cars, mainly 330's.

Mark

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
FYI, regarding the 956s - the Slot Nissan R390 is really cool, although quite hard to see on the track (it's flat black).

Attachments

• 65847-nissan_pista.JPG
    65847-nissan_pista.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 335
Very nice. The Audi R8C is also nice from Slot-it.

BTW - I ordered the Yellow MK IV in complete kit form (at least I hope it was a complete kit). This way I can hook up the lights without taking it apart.

Wana Race?

Mark

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Sure! Now if I only had my own private airplane, I could wing it over to SJC./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was too excited to think about lighting when I ordered the MKIV! Good idea. I did order the J as a kit because I was reading that there may be a 4 month delay on an assembled Maxi car.

Al

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
FYI - I received the MK IV yesterday and all I can say is Wow! It's almost too nice to race with. It even has the correctly colored knockoff nuts on the left and right sides. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance.

Al

No problems Al, and thanks for posting the pic.
I don't have one of thise, and feel a spend-up coming on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was lucky enough to get the scalectrix GT40 sports set from my mother for christmas 2003. Pretty good considering I am 41 years old!

I've supplemented this with a Fly Lola T-70 Mk3B (accepted a Mk3B 'cause I haven't found a MkIII at a sensible price yet. That said the Fly car was about A$96!), but found the Fly car a lot slower out of the box. I changed the rear axle for a Fly Lola replacement set with slicks and a different ratio, and now it competes very squarely with the scalectrix GT40s.

Sorry, I don't have the details of the Fly Lola (except it's based on the red "Toad Hall Racing" Lola (you can google it), or the replacement rear axle as it's all packed away now to allow impending baby #2 a room to hang out in.

I might get it all set up again in the garage in a few months, and will probably convert all my cars to scalectrix digital. Looks like a big advance in the sport...

Regards
Richard

Back