BMW M60 V8 to a Audi 016 Gearbox

So - just how strong is the Audi 016 gearbox? I've seen the gearbox along side the Porsche G50 and the Porsche trans is far bigger - yet it seems that many people shy away from the P-Trans.. Curious as to why...

That differential in Lambo's pictures above appears to be a Dana 36 differential from a 84-96 Corvette..

That also looks like a 97-01 LS1 that he's dropping in, not a Lexus.

Hi Alex, Some confusion exists,the pictures of the drive train drawings and the mounted motor and diff assembly are not mine, they are of KEVKEVS project,showing his reverse mounted motor configuration.
it's over on Loading New KitCentral ....
I am definately running the Lexus in my project.

Regards
Lambo

Hi, i have made a cad drawing for the BMW M60 bolt pattern. I use an M60 engine and Porsche G50 transmission, to my BMW M1.

Hi All,

I now have the bolt configuration for the gearbox and plans for the flywheel, appreciate it guys!!! The only outstanding thing which I require is the bolt pattern for the BMW M60 V8 motor. Is it the same as the V12? Any ideas where I can get a drawing or a CAD design for that?

Thanks to all that contributed already, I appreciate all feedback.

BTW, Please, please keep this thread relevant!

Doro

Hi Doro, just read this thread tonight.
If you get yourself a metal plate (alum or steel) and follow the directions I have on my site in this word document -
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/Adapter Notes and Tips.doc
you should not need the template for the engine.
If you use the 016 it has a pilot diameter of 18MM. What I did was make a tool that fits into the BMW crank and has a 18MM stub on it.
alignmentstub.jpg

Now make some bolts into center punches. Remove the cap heads and grind to a point. Thread them into the engine block then hit the plate to make your drill marks. Remove the plate and drill your holes. Transfer the plate to the transmission (it will fit onto the input perfectly) and transfer punch the hole centers to the plate and drill it.
You now have a perfectly centered adapter plate but you never actually took a single measurement.
I spaced mine out just enough (one inch) to clear the stock BMW ring gear then made a flywheel to the Audi specs. (these are on my site too in the word doc mentioned above) I have it running now with zero vibration. I could not be happier with the balance.
I should be test driving the clutch and flywheel this weekend.

Cheers;
Jim

Hi, i have made a cad drawing for the BMW M60 bolt pattern. I use an M60 engine and Porsche G50 transmission, to my BMW M1.

Hi Grusse,

I would appreciate it if you could email me the CAD drawing! I promise not to give it out to anyone without your permission. [email protected]

You will make the biggest headache of my life go away! Many thanks in advance!

Regards
Doro

So - just how strong is the Audi 016 gearbox? I've seen the gearbox along side the Porsche G50 and the Porsche trans is far bigger - yet it seems that many people shy away from the P-Trans.. Curious as to why...

That differential in Lambo's pictures above appears to be a Dana 36 differential from a 84-96 Corvette..

The 016 isn't very strong, but quite a bit cheaper than the Porsche units.

Hello

when somebody needs a adapter for connecting a bmw m60 or m30,s38 to a audi speed box.please send me a pm.

I am making a bmw m1 procar,I was looking for a long time for a solution for a good transaxle.

best regards

ruben

Hi, I used a similar process....I had the adaptor plate laser cut to shape and using that methods, transfered all the bolt hole. Then made a dummy spigot of the correct length to engage the gearbox input shaft, stood the motor on its head and hoisted vertical!y the gear box above, gently lowered it down to sit on the adaptor plate and was then able to check alignment and shaft rotation. This then meant all was true so clamped the assembly together and then drilled some alignment pins in to secure motor/g box. Then you can set about drilling / marking the gearbox bolts. With it still in this position, you can check alignment anytime. Transferring the original dowel pin holes is tricky.
Cheers
Russell

Back