Brake Line Valve Install

Ken Roberts

Supporter
A cheaper flaring tool can be used with the Nicole/copper tubes that are available. The tubing is soft and bends easily. It's a dream to work with and doesn't rust like steel brake tubing.

If you are going to also be using stainless tubing then a high quality flaring tool is needed. Double flaring stainless tubing is difficult. I used Rigid flaring tools in my profession and bought them for use personally at home as well.

Audi, Porsche, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and Other OEM manufacturers now use the nickle/copper brake lines. Hopefully Fran will switch over too in the future.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've had some degree of success with stainless lines by doing one of two things -
1) Annealing the tubing after it was flared
2) Not forcing the double flare mandrel down too hard which allows the flare to compress slightly when seated against the fitting it is being screwed into.

The break-away of the Rigid tools I have make it pretty difficult to over-compress the flare.

I bought and use the professional flare tool from Eastwood. Only messed up two stainless double flares with it, and I redid a lot of lines. I would suggest it to anyone thinking about flaring lines.

Back