Building GT40 Mark I from scratch

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
On the Holman Moody link just posted above, they show a picture of the black light blue and gold GT40 Mk2 cars of 66' but describe the light blue car as having won the race
confused.gif

Bill.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dicktownsend:
Paul spot on
did you spin i did
regards Dick
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dick -

Yes - A total of five times during the day. In fact one chap I took out got two spins in one lap!

Roy's 40 is not the easiest of cars to manage in the wet - I would probably have done better on the slicks as it was not exactly pouring down...

Still - put a smile on quite a number of faces, both in and out of the car and it was interesting to see how many camera's were lifted, each time a 40 approached the chicane!

Oh and by the way, Dave Parker in his R42, although he seemed ok on his 335 Pirelli's - He also had three spins during the day!.

Happy days!!....
Paul Thompson
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Haralambakis:
On the Holman Moody link just posted above, they show a picture of the black light blue and gold GT40 Mk2 cars of 66' but describe the light blue car as having won the race
confused.gif

Bill.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed this to right away. I would guess this is in reference to the controversy surrounding the win where Ken Miles was ordered to slow to allow a 1 2 3 finish. Since the #2 crossed the finish line closer to Miles then he had started on the grid, the #2 had traveled a greater distance and thus by the weird FIA rules won the race. Of course Miles was pissed, and killed in a J car test not long after. My guess is they are showing respect to Miles for really “winning.”

G

Kalun, nice work. I just love solid modeling! [on edit] Can you do FEA on the chassis? That would be one of the big pluses to having the chassis all laid out in a CAD program.

Now if someone would sell their body kits without the purchase of a chassis that would make an interesting kit alternative.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Greg C ]

My scratch built is monocoque. I am trying to build it as close to original method as possible but did take a bit of "license" with the front pedal box area for my long legs. I left suspension geom as original.
My work is based on dimensioning 3 cars and making drawings. I did them in PDGS wireframe. Someday I'll convert them to SDRC C3P (solids). Loved your drawings - mine are not that detailed. My drawings are more layouts with basic lines - I don't have all the details (like fasteners, return flanges, etc.) I have no idea how to post photo's on this site but a friend did post some of my chassis construction photo's on his - go to http:/www.dariusrudis.com/jdunham/. don't click on "parent directory" or you'll get lost. use the back arrow when you are done with the picture.

G

Jim, whoa man! You were saying 4 years, I thought that was just the planning, looks like that was some forms and building also. Nice work!!

you forgot a slash in your address
http://www.dariusrudis.com/jdunham/

these are worth sharing, hope you don't mind

gt-40-2_01-14-01.jpg

gt40_frame2.jpg

gt40_frame1.jpg

G

Jim, tell us more.

are you building a monocoque or tube frame?

did you draw it in 3D cad using autocad solids?

how complete are your plans, did you draw every bracket and the suspension?

could we see some photos?

as far as selling your plans that's a tough one. I can see your point about copies. You could make someone sign an agreement not to copy. Another problem I see about selling copies is the copy/design rights of the original owners/designers.

I'm building a sheeted tube chassis right now, about 1/3 done. I started with measurements of an Integrity chassis (originally KVA) although the design is far removed from that.

I think if I had it to do all over again I would go with the sheet metal monocoque tub. I went with tubing because that's were I had all my experience.

I'm selling the plans to one person right now sort of as a test to see how it goes. I think plans/information should be easily affordable to people just building for themselves, after all the majority of the effort and expense is in the build.

some screen captures

10-00Susp2.jpg

RUprt.jpg

FrontSusp.jpg

AcadChass.jpg

WdMdl.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. I need to figure out how you guys put pictures up.

Yes you are right, the 4 years was spent measuring/hand layouts / mockups / confirmation that the body will fit, going back and remeasuring, etc. I also do this in my spare time along with Porsche Racing and restoration. There were long periods where I was not working on it. We will see how the rest goes - getting close to flipping it over and starting on the bottom. The fuel sponson internal baffles/ribs will be a chore to make and install. In 2004 when the GT40 turns 40, we ought to all meet.

Dick, The red GT40 in your picture is a geuine car, and the blue one is a replica. The event took place at Snetterton in November. I built the car, it is chassis no. 1089, the last car to carry a JWA chassis no.
If any one else is interested in any thing to do with genuine cars or the way things were done, I can probably answer most questions, after some 12 years working with them I know them fairly well. I am currently involved in the recreation of original foot pedal boxes in either Ally or Mag. complete with the original casting no. on. And also steering racks are being re - made to original specification. [email protected]

Hey Jim and Kalun,

I was just wondering how the projects were turning out? Any new progress?

Thanks,

Doug

Have not had much time to work on it - Making the front wheel house close out pieces now and starting on the roof. I plan to duplicate the fiberglass roof with a metal roof same as original. Last night I got one of the floor crossmembers in (there were (4) hat section crossmembers built into the floor on the original). Other than that, I picked up a 5DS-25-2 ZF gearbox with traction lock axle recently and light covers from M. Clapp. I missed out on a pair of GT40 headlites on ebay that went for $201.00 (I had bid $200). Still need windshield (getting desperate) before I can proceed.

G

Jim, I have a set of Renault R-12 headlights with frames and buckets if interested. Headlight housings are Cibie not Marchal though and use H4 bulbs. Price is considerably less.

I see a lot of you guys are using AutoCAD in your design work. Has anyone any experience of IronCAD? This 3D design program looks far easier to use as it employs an arc ball to move around the drawing window instead of the UCS.
I would be interested to know about anyone's experiences as I am considering purchasing a copy.
Jim. I think you can still get the front and rear windscrens from Triplex.

I am by no means a 3D expert, but we have been fairly happy with Autodesks relatively new product called Inventor. It has good 3 D support (much better then plain Autocad IMO). It hass sheet metal design built in and can use canned fasteners, etc. It is not cheap, and is now bundled with Inventor, Autocad and Mechanical Desktop (runs on top of Autocad). It looks like the major drawback to inventor is its lack of good support for doing complex 3D contours (like the GT40 body). They would have to be done in Mechanical Desktop and imported. Otherwise Inventor is a fairly slick and new way of doing 3D, etc.

Back