Building GT40 Mark I from scratch

I picked up 2 windshields from Dan White. Based on my dimensioned data and mockup - they are dead right on. We have concluded from much research and trial fits that there appears to be 2 versions of windshields floating around. The difference is small but the curvatures are about 1/2" difference. The original had about 6" of total curvature while the replica windshields had about 5.5 to 5.6" of curvature. I cut templates off an original to verify.

Hey Jim and Kalun,

How are your projects coming along? Any more photos?

Have either of you given any more thoughts to making your plans available?

I've recently been thinking about making a 1/12 model of the GT40 and having those plans would be amazing! Plus, I just love blueprints.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi all

If you guys that are making you own monocoques require original Mk1 GT40 body work I will be able to supply it by March 2003

Regards
Chris Melia
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jim,

In reply to your request... "Looking for windshield, rear upright internals, door latches, headlights, and the usual. I can e-mail pictures on request."

Firstly for future information I (GT40 NZ) have what is claimed to be an original windscreen plus all the side windows (in glass). We fit a "new style" windscreen with the black etched border now.

I also provide a range of GT parts such as cast handles, side screens, machined furniture, cover dashes in left and right-hand plain, padded, (vacuum bonded "leatherette" so they look great)and accessories for anyone who needs items. I will be opening a specific GT40 parts and spares web site in the New Year.

Now I also have two body types. An original set of KVA moulds which have the original (racing car. I don’t know which one they all emanated from but KVA did no doubt) subtle imperfections and also I have recently purchased another set which is takes into consideration the “2 inches” and all panel faired. They also allow big blocks etc.

As you are a skilled (dedicated) and experienced builder I may sell a complete set of body panels if you’re interested?

Rgds, Dave Harvey

Dave,
Do you have photos of the glass side windows? Do they attach similar to the original and like other replicas that use plexiglas (screws). Do you side windows have vent glasses? What would be the cost of a set of glass side windows?

Thanks
Gary

Hey Chris,

Are you saying that your body is more accurate than most of the replicas out there? I know most are based on the KVA molds that are a originally Mk III molds that were altered to look like a Mk I but are "not quite right" when put next to a real Mk I.

Doug

Hi Doug

The body that I have is original from the sixties it is not a replica body. I am preparing it for moulding and will be able to offer original bodies from March 2003.
Its noticeably different in many areas from the replica bodies.
These bodies will fit original cars.

Regards

Chris
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

That's great Chris! You're body panels are a great price as well. I don't know how you do it but bless you for doing it.

Would it fit a replica chassis?

March 2003, huh? That's my birthday. Maybe, my wife will take pity on me and allow me to get one of your GT40 bodies... Well, I can hope can't I?
wink.gif

Doug

Hi Doug
I also do the replica bodywork as I have said before, but the originals have a lot more to them. They would fit a replica chassis if you have a rad support of 30" wide max.

Dave Thanks for the order.

Regards

Chris

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Chris,
Are you going to let the original bodywork go for the same price as your kit bodies? A goup shipment may be in order.

Adam

Hi all
the original bodies have ducting and double skinning in the radiator front grill area and the rear clip has ducting from the side ducts. This all adds up to more work which unfortunately means more money.
But I would expect the front clip, rear clip, two doors, two sills and a dash to work out at about £5000,
I can firm the price up after we finish the moulds around March 2003.

Regards
Chris
PS. Fran Hall has a shipping container heading from the UK to the USA in late January 03 anyone that needs a replica body complete for £2500 or any parts should get in touch now. Anyone wishing to ship anything GT40 to the USA should get in touch with Fran for a good deal.

Chris can have a replica body made by the end of January if someone gets an order to him soon.
There is one body already coming over with my shipment but the more the better as it will make shipping even cheaper for everyone.
Get in touch if you are interested
586-783-4558
Fran

Hey,

Chris, I know you've posted the price before, but how are you offering your body kit for? And, what sort of windshield (or whatever you guys in England call windshields
wink.gif
fit it.

Jim and Kalun, how are youcars progressing? Do you have any new photos to share? Love to see em.

Doug

Hi all,

Have noticed a number of requests for windscreens. After a little searching some years ago, I found an Australian firm, Nielson and Muller who made glass for virtually every vehicle in the world. The 40 windscreen was in their catalogue. More recently, (about 5 years ago), I decided to buy a screen for my car, only to find that this firm had been bought out by two other firms, Windscreens O'brien and Australian Autoglass.
I contacted Windscreens O'brien, explained my requirement, and after some much appreciated help from one of their staff, established they were available ex-stock from (I think) their Brisbane factory.
I placed an order and it was delivered about 5 days later. Cost AUD about $400 (about US $240).
It certainly fitted my body, which from the above posts seems to be a KVA copy.
The sticker on it is 'Protector Autoglass', part no FD019LT, and with an Australian phone no. 131 838.

Hope this may help.

cc null

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have no new photos; I do have some of the body sections laid out 'a la' how they will look on the car. If I can find the disc I will post them although posting photos I am not very good at. Mostly I have been chasing parts lately trying to find an engine block to start the motor from. And getting part numbers for clutch, flywheel, etc etc. This seems to be the slow time of the year for me.
frown.gif

Back