California Registration SB100 information

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I swear, all this drama makes one want to retain an out of state address (vacation home, family members, etc.) and title/register their replica in that state.....it could make its way out on the streets every now and then, but with out of state plates on it there might not be any reason for the AG's office to bother a guy.

Maybe just dreamin' here, though. TX is next in line to get hard to register newly made replicas and I hear that the DPS is getting ready to come after owners of replicas that are titled as '64, '65, '66 Cobras and GT40's, too. Kansas already requires cars to be titled as the year in which they were completed, what's next?

What does a guy do in CA with an SLC that doesn't replicate anything.....is he just SOL?

Doug

What's wrong with the SEMA registration plan?

I swear, all this drama makes one want to retain an out of state address (vacation home, family members, etc.) and title/register their replica in that state.....it could make its way out on the streets every now and then, but with out of state plates on it there might not be any reason for the AG's office to bother a guy.

Maybe just dreamin' here, though. TX is next in line to get hard to register newly made replicas and I hear that the DPS is getting ready to come after owners of replicas that are titled as '64, '65, '66 Cobras and GT40's, too. Kansas already requires cars to be titled as the year in which they were completed, what's next?

What does a guy do in CA with an SLC that doesn't replicate anything.....is he just SOL?

Doug

What's wrong with the SEMA registration plan?

No problem. Although the SLC doesn't resemble anything, at least to my limited knowledge, you can still say 1965. It's still an SPCNS car and the SB100 process.

There seems to be some feeling that the the SB100 process is difficult or otherwise daunting in some way. It's not. It's a rather simple process with a few steps that are performed in a certain order and your done. The major limitation is the 500 allotments. The one key item and #1 on your list is going to a DMV that has experience. There are plenty now, both in SoCal and NorCal.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I got there at 4:30, The second guy got there at about 5AM, Farad, Ya him, got there about 5:15. There were a half dozen there by 6 and 15 by 7:30. The DMV opened at 8am I believe.

I think the manager got one for everybody who was in line when they opened the door. I do not think that if Mr.16 had shown up at 9:30 he would have gotten one. She said that she had to really work to get all 15 of us a number.

I do agree that this is not a difficult process. But it is a process that must be followed step by step. I don't know how it will go this year nor does anybody else. Go to bed early, get there by 4:30am, drink some coffee and it will be OK. I you can't sleep then drive over to the DMV and wait in you car until somebody else drives in, just don't fall asleep.

It's just like waiting for Grateful Dead tickets to go on sale except everybody is bald fat and old......and there are no chicks, doobies, or jugs of red mountain in line.

Howard, you're funny. I like the GD analogy :) Your timeline details is what I was looking for. I think I should be fine if I get there by 6:30 am.

The process does not have to be that dramatic, I have done 2 of these cars, all by remote control, The SPF I did in 2009 was done midyear and at that time there were about 135 sequence numbers left.
If you need help PM me and I will hook you up with a DMV person who knows what they are doing.
Dave

As along as you have a legal title from another State, you will have to go through the same SB100 process, although technically it's under the heading of AB1578 not SB100. Basically the same, except that AB1578 handles SPCNS cars with existing legal titles from different States coming into CA. SB100 is for new titles in CA.

That would prove virtually impossible, I think. After all, assume a guy bought an existing car from somebody else while living in another state, then moved to CA. He didn't buy an engine, a gearbox, etc. etc. He bought a CAR. So, how is he supposed to provide receipts for the major components, a logical breakdown of the hours of the previous owner's labor that went into constructing it etc.?

I would hope that there would be a parallel process for existing cars from other states that have been through several owners.

I tried to find anything on AB1578 via Google and only came up with legislation regarding horse racing?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would prove virtually impossible, I think. After all, assume a guy bought an existing car from somebody else while living in another state, then moved to CA. He didn't buy an engine, a gearbox, etc. etc. He bought a CAR. So, how is he supposed to provide receipts for the major components, a logical breakdown of the hours of the previous owner's labor that went into constructing it etc.?

I would hope that there would be a parallel process for existing cars from other states that have been through several owners.

I tried to find anything on AB1578 via Google and only came up with legislation regarding horse racing?

AB, SB oops! Sorry Drew. Yes, you must go through the same process as the new SB100 cars. Here's the text for a CAR with existing LEGAL title from another State:

"SENATE BILL 1578THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS: SECTION 1. Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code isamended to read:
44017.4. (a) Upon registration with the Department of MotorVehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a speciallyconstructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code,shall be inspected by stations authorized to perform refereefunctions. This inspection shall be for the purposes of determiningthe engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year,and the emission control system application. The owner shall havethe option to choose whether the inspection is based on the enginemodel-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year.
(1) In determining the engine model-year, the referee shallcompare the engine to engines of the era that the engine most closelyresembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to theengine in any specially constructed vehicle that does notsufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine. The refereeshall require only those emission control systems that are applicableto the established engine model-year and that the engine reasonablyaccommodates in its present form.
(2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shallcompare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle mostclosely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemblea previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require onlythose emission control systems that are applicable to the establishedmodel-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in itspresent form.
(b) Upon the completion of the inspection, the referee shall affixa tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate thatestablishes the engine model-year or the vehicle model-year, and theemission control system application.
(c) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall annually provide aregistration to no more than the first 500 vehicles that meet thecriteria described in subdivision (a) that are presented to thatdepartment for registration pursuant to this section. The500-vehicle annual limitation does not apply to the renewal ofregistration of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.
SEC. 2. Section 4750.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:4750.1.
(a) If the department receives an application forregistration of a specially constructed passenger vehicle or pickuptruck after it has registered 500 specially constructed vehiclesduring that calendar year pursuant to Section 44017.4 of the Healthand Safety Code, and the vehicle has not been previously registered,the vehicle shall be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted, for purposes of determining emissions control equipment and inspection requirementsfor the vehicle.
(b) If the department receives an application for registration ofa specially constructed passenger vehicle or pickup truck that has been previously registered after it has registered 500 speciallyconstructed vehicles during that calendar year pursuant to Section44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code, and the application requests a model-year determination different from the model-year assigned in the previous registration, the application for registration shall be denied and the vehicle owner is subject to the emission control andinspection requirements applicable to the model-year assigned in the previous registration. However, a denial of an application for registration issued pursuant to this subdivision does not preclude the vehicle owner from applying for a different model-year determination and application for registration under Section 44017.4of the Health and Safety Code in a subsequent calendar year."

If he bought an existing car registered in another state, then it has a year of manufacture on that registration. California has rules for bringing in the car and re-registering it in CA. It gets smogged based on the manufactured year.

That is, unless it is a specialty construction vehicle and the person tries to convince them to reclassify it and then use SB100.

CA got real defensive due to so many people trying to circumvent the system. Things are much tighter than they used to be. People used to get out-of-state titles so they could fake the manufactured date and then register an "original 1965 Cobra" (for example) to bypass smog and then claim the value at low dollars to escape high registration fees. The state even had investigators trolling car enthusiast websites to identify and collect info on these cases.

That is, unless it is a specialty construction vehicle and the person tries to convince them to reclassify it and then use SB100.

If it's a SPCNS car (kit car) from another State with an existing LEGAL title, then it will have to go through the SB100 process to be smogged and legal. Period. "Year" under the SB100 process for each car is "0000".

In and out of the DMV this morning in 15 minutes. Number 176. There was only one other SB100 guy there doing the Cobra amnesty thing. They seperated us from everyone else in line about 15 minutes before they opened and were on the phone for the two of us at the same time immediately. Very smooth and quick. It did help that I had already paid the taxes/fees (or portion of actually) and filled out the paperwork ahead of time. I'd recommend the SF office for SB100's to anyone in the future. No reason to drive to Santa Clara or anywhere else if you live here.

I got down there at 5:50 am expecting to be near or at the front. It turns out I could have showed up at 7:40 and have come out in the same position. Better safe than sorry though...

Wow, That was the most stressful 30 minutes of my automotive life.

I attended the Santa Clara branch for my SB100 registration. And let me tell you they were prepared and great, the only hick-up which caused much undue stress was... On Thursday I, and at least 2 others in my "class" where told by the "Process Information Desk" they do not pre-register for "TIN" numbers for SB100 documentation - go away and come back Monday. This was totally wrong and caused the nice dedicated SB100 crew there this morning to cram all our TIN number data in the computer before initiating the SB100 process (most of the 8 or so people in line did not have a TIN) The SB100 manager EXPECTED all of us to have pre-registered and have the TIN already. So this caused all involved much un-needed stress with no time to calmly go over the paperwork.

Another aspect of the process this morning chapped my hide (nothing to do with the DMV) - I arrived at 5 AM thinking I'd be no better than 10th in line or something. As it turned out the second guy didn't show up for 45 minutes after me! I had this weird feeling that I'd shown up on the wrong day up until then. So anyway, by the time the office opened at 7:30 there were 4 of us in line, and by then we had become "buddies". Much to our surprise maybe 4 other guys showed up just before opening. So we get inside and sit down in some order of arrival, and when the lady asks for people to step up - GET THIS - one of the dudes that showed up at the crack of 7:30 heads for the counter.

Unbelievably RUDE

As it turned out all my buddies got their numbers and all the rest did too, so in spite of some people everyone was served.

I sometimes say bad things about the DMV, but now let me say Thank You to Jodie and her crew for doing their best to handle us Gearheads in an honest, efficient and expeditious manner. She even wanted to do a seminar at a local shop in advance to prepare everyone (was axed by management). You have to like that.

Now if she could talk to the guy who sent us away and then hand out numbers to customers in order of arrival it would take care of uncomfortable moments in the future.

Got mine! I arrived at the DMV in Thousand Oaks, CA at 6:30. Five guys were already there. Believe it or not the first guy arrived at 12:30am! Crazy. Everything went really smooth. We each were given a window number outside. Once inside, the clerk checked over the paperwork, then handed it to the supervisor and told us to have a seat. At around 9am she called us to a window one by one and handed us the SB100 numbers (183 to 192) and gave us a two month road permit. It was a lot easier then I thought.

Got mine! I arrived at the DMV in Thousand Oaks, CA at 6:30. Five guys were already there. Believe it or not the first guy arrived at 12:30am! Crazy. Everything went really smooth. We each were given a window number outside. Once inside, the clerk checked over the paperwork, then handed it to the supervisor and told us to have a seat. At around 9am she called us to a window one by one and handed us the SB100 numbers (183 to 192) and gave us a two month road permit. It was a lot easier then I thought.

Outstanding! That is how it's supposed to work.

Got mine (mid 200s). I'd say it took about 2.5 hrs once in the DMV. There were three of us. Down from 7-8 the last time I did this.

Ron

Got mine at the Rancho Cucamonga office and was the only SB 100 there. they came out at 7:30 and asked if there were any specially constructed vehicles and then put me a the head of the line. got # 107. I wonder if all 500 numbers went today?

Got mine at the Rancho Cucamonga office and was the only SB 100 there. they came out at 7:30 and asked if there were any specially constructed vehicles and then put me a the head of the line. got # 107. I wonder if all 500 numbers went today?

I would speculate, due to low demand, there will be plenty leftover. Just browsing the couple websites that I'm familiar with, it sounds like there were less people in line everywhere up and down the State.

FWIW, a Cobra owner over at the Club Cobra website has spoken with someone at the DMV today and they're reporting that there are about one-hundred (100) SB100 numbers remaining.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Could this thread be made "sticky" It might be of some help next year. I'm happy to hear that everyone got their number.

Not it will be interesting how they determine the model year at the BAR for the SLC people. Let us know how that goes.

Could this thread be made "sticky" It might be of some help next year. I'm happy to hear that everyone got their number.

Not it will be interesting how they determine the model year at the BAR for the SLC people. Let us know how that goes.

Howard,

Looking at my BAR Inspection report, my Kirkham Cobra that I purchased in 2007, is as follows:

Model Year: 2007
Make: SPCN
Model: (blank)
Engine Year: 1965

My engine is a new crate engine with a CSX block and Edelbrock heads.

The SLC should follow similarly.

Back