California Registration SB100 information

Reviving this thread with my positive experience.

I did my SB100 registration at the San Francisco Fell St location this morning and it was a breeze. I had done all the paperwork, paid the taxes and gotten a sequence number two weeks ago and then just showed up 2 hours before they opened this morning to get the actual sequence number. I was first in line and the only SB100 I'm aware of that was there. I was out the door in <45 minutes. Very easy.

While the demand for SB100 seems to have abated (FWIW I heard it wasn't until March that the 2012 ones were exhausted), I still highly recommend doing all your paperwork a few weeks beforehand. They'll hem and haw a little and try to get rid of you by asking "did you actually stand in line?" (yes...), saying it's not possible, etc., but if you've cleanly organized you paperwork and are courteous, they'll get you to the right person and then that part is a quick process.

What does help is if you put all your math on some paper for how you calculated taxes, since you can deduct all the CA taxes already paid. I had even brought credit card statements, copies of checks, etc. though ended up not needing them. I think just showing up there in good faith as an open book goes a long way in them getting you through the process swiftly.

All in, not a bad process at all, though preparation is key.

Tim

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I did my SB100 registration

Tim -- please keep us posted on how the rest of the process goes. I am (I hope) at the very end having just had a BAR referee inspection, and am waiting for word on the conclusion. The BAR part of the process has changed recently, and you don't walk away from the inspection ready to get a plate; your application is then reviewed in Sacramento and you eventually get a phone call. I am told this takes anywhere from a couple weeks to several months. I am now right at 30 days, although of course there were a couple holidays in there. I've published a registration thread here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/38764-licensing-stories.html

Best of Luck!

I'm also in the middle of getting my registration. Started out at the redwood city DMV but they were clueless on the SB100 process so I ended it up at the Los Gatos office they where great got my number on Jan 2nd.

Just completed my CHP inspection which went great. Next the smog referee.

Alan - Yes the CHP was Officer Brown in Redwood City, that inspection went will

For the Brake and Lamp inspection you need to make sure that they have a 1966 GT40 in their database, took me 3 tries to find place, 76 station on Woodside Road (3 miles from the 101). Took about an hour they look at all of the lights including adjustment of the headlights, they do a visual inspection on the brakes. Make sure everything is working they will charge you if you pass or fail.

Back